Fecal ID needed, please: bed bug fecal stains on pillow? [a: no]

(7 posts)
  1. themaddykins

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 11:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, all. I'm brand new as a member but not as a reader of this forum, which I've used countless times to talk myself off a ledge of worry. Today, I'm submitting my own question--a photo of a pillow with what are potentially BB fecal stains.

3.5 weeks ago, I first noticed strange rash like bites (?) on my partner. They were in clusters and lines, and my first instinct was to check for BBs immediately. I thoroughly examined all the sheets, mattress covers, every mattress seam and the bed slats for any stains, shed skins, etc and found nothing. Every day for the past 3.5 weeks I have inspected the sheets each morning for stains and haven't found anything. I also have glue traps under the legs of the bed which haven't caught anything. Yesterday after finding a tiny blood stain and two black dots on my sheets, I did the whole mattress, seam, mattress cover, slat inspection again--not the slightest trace of any stains or spots.

This AM, I went to do laundry and saw black peppery spotting on my pillow. It doesn't brush/flake off, and it doesn't smear dry or with saliva or water. It's isolated to one 6" area on my pillow, not spread around. There is no spotting on the seams, under the tags or on the pillow case itself. There are no blood spots. Here are two photos for reference.

Pillow with penny (no flash):

Pillow with penny (flash):

My only possible explanation is that I often sleep with wet hair and wash the pillow very rarely (pillowcases washed frequently).

I'd be so grateful for any help or input. Thank you!!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 12:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug related.

If you look at the fine detail of the example images you will see the spots are very different, very angular and irregular.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-blood-spots-on-sheets-primer

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. themaddykins

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 12:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the input, David. I'm afraid it's hard for me to distinguish even after reading the primer, but I trust you as the expert!

My best guess is that it's mold/mildew from too many nights of wet hair. In the meantime, we'll keep monitoring for any staining or new bites.

Thank you!

M

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 13:01:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Go through this exercise two or three times:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/open-you-mind-and-look-at-the-detail

Then look at the primer and compare to what you have in front of you.

You will soon see by level 2 or 3 that "this is not the faecal you are looking for" (excuse the Jedi mind tricks).

David

5. themaddykins

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 13:13:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, I'm starting to see what you mean. The Jedi mind tricks are a nice touch

If I may ask a related question: if we had brought home a bed bug a month back and we were in the early stages of an infestation, when would we expect to start seeing warning signs? The first "bites" (rash?) on my partner were 3.5 weeks ago and we've inspected the sheets and all mattress seams/tags, bed slats, etc. 2x since with no visible signs.

Thank you,

M

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 14:11:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Welcome to my enhanced world of vision. Throw in an texture layer and you can start to see how I view things.

OK, a common question so let me explain why the answer you are looking for is not the answer you are looking for. Too many times I have stood next to people and said "hmm, yes loads of faecal" and they have replied "where?", to show them I had to circle them and only at this stage did their eyes pick them up.

Therefore the ability to detect bed bugs at low levels has more to do with the skills of the person looking than any other single factor. This is also a quantity in the equation I don't have a handle on in your case. Thus I am drawn towards the dark side which is full of guesses and assumptions.

My solution / recommendation (for they are the same) is to use a monitoring solution that works and to thus provide not only detection of the issue but also potential resolution through removal of the monitor.

It also relies on a neat piece of Jedi mind trick in that I have developed a reliable way of making bed bugs stop and have a poo. Like all good hunters knowing the tracks and trails of your prey really helps. If you read the FAQs and useful tools you will see what I mean. There are also lots of details and examples on my home site.

It forms best practice for residential and commercial detection of bed bugs and is one of the few bed bug technologies to have stood up to field testing.

So may the force be with you on this one.

David

7. themaddykins

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 15:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Makes sense. I'm in the US, so I'll be ordering one of the PackTite Passive Bed Bug Monitors that you mention on your site. Hopefully, that will prove a valuable tool in answering this question once and for all!

My PCO is doing his monthly inspection of the building next week, as well, so perhaps he can take a more informed look at the site.

Thanks for your help

M

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,596 posts in 43,278 topics over 130 months by 18,982 of 19,560 members. Latest: Koonspg4s, slynnp1, bkb