(7 posts)
  1. callchat2

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 20:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A few months ago i was getting bit. I slept on the couch. I inspected the couch and found what looked to be carpet beetle larva and one adult carpet beetle. Threw out the couch, cleaned bleeched. The bites stopped and then started up again. Never many, three a night a few nights apart. I read that the shredded skin/shell of the carpenter beetle can cause an allergic reaction when touching the skin and thought that this might be what the bites were.

Fast forward a few weeks and I found one bedbug in my bathroom hanging out on a towel which was touching a heating pipe.
    I informed the building super. An exterminator verified that the bug was a bedbug. The exterminator then scheduled a visit to perform inspect, spray and steam. To prep, I was told to place all belongings in plastic bags. I washed all laundry and placed in seal-able plastic bags. I also bagged all other items in clear plastic garbage bags to prep for the visit and placed in the middle of rooms.

Exterminator came. Found one bed bug in bedroom where my son sleeps. My son has never had a bite. The exterminator said he thought spiders were to blame for the bites. I asked what did he do with the plastic bags my possessions were in, books, electronics, etc. The exterminator said nothing. He stated that the air in the bags gets hot and kills bedbugs. This makes no sense to me. He did not perform a heat treatment to the bags. How can he tell that books and old records were not infested?

The exterminator is returning in two weeks to perform a followup visit. all my items are to remain in the bags until that time.

My questions:
    1. Why bag the items if they are not being treated? This process took me several days and i do not want to repeat.

2. That's two bedbugs that have been found in my apartment. Is that a cause for concern or am i overly dramatic. The exterminator an super were relieved, but what if there are some in the bags?

3. MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: What can i do to the items in the bags to kill the bugs and eggs if present? THese bags are not air tight, but resemble garbage bags.

Thanks for any help.
    What an annoying experience this is.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 0:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The questions about bags are covered in this FAQ:
    https://bedbugger.com/2007/03/27/faq-how-do-i-prepare-for-pest-control-treatment/

You're right to be concerned about the PCO's ideas about bags, and the FAQ should help.

It's possible you don't have any bed bugs in the bags but items inside should either be unpacked before treatment ends or treated. Since so few bed bugs were found, unpacking might be enough as long as you're staying in the home and not moving right now.

Finding a bed bug in the bathroom is an odd occurrence. It is possible bed bugs are coming into the apartment via pipe chasings, from a neighbor attached to your bathroom, and these units should be professionally inspected (ideally, all attached units, but many landlords won't do this).

If they won't inspect those units attached to the bathroom, you might decide to risk asking the neighbors if they've had any skin reactions or seen any bugs. They may be unaware of the problem or may be aware and afraid to report it.

Another possibility is bat or bird bugs, if bats or birds have been harboring on or in the building.
    It's unusual but they look almost identical to bed bugs and your PCO does not sound like he has the knowledge to tell them apart. Posting a photo here would allow Lou to ID it and rule out this problem, especially if the photo is detailed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. callchat2

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 17:09:21
    #

Login to Send PM

found in bathroom lick chere to see picture

Here is the picture of the one which was found.

Can you cut and paste that link again, it doesn't work and I cannot find the section in the faqs page.

I forgot to mention that I am moving in about two months, so I am very determined to kill any that may exist.

It seems strange that the exterminator found one and is relieved.
    Additionally the exterminator did not place a case on the mattress or place the traps on the bottom of the couch. So confused. Do not understand why i did all this work.

4. callchat2

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 17:13:16
    #

Login to Send PM

callchat2 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    found in bathroom click here to see picture
    Here is the picture of the one which was found.
    Can you cut and paste that link again, it doesn't work and I cannot find the section in the faqs page.
    I forgot to mention that I am moving in about two months, so I am very determined to kill any that may exist.
    It seems strange that the exterminator found one and is relieved.
    Additionally the exterminator did not place a case on the mattress or place the traps on the bottom of the couch. So confused. Do not understand why i did all this work.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 18:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like an adult female.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 23:23:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It is a bed bug or closely related but I am not sure if it's detailed enough to rule out bat or bird bugs. Let's wait for Lou on that one.

(They're not likely,. though, unless there are birds or bats which have been nesting in or on the building.)

As for moving, it's likely your bed bugs came from attached neighbors. That means that even if you have only one or two, you might get new introductions going forward, so it's best to treat your items to be sure not to move bed bugs. I just made some notes about moving without bed bugs in another thread.

7. callchat2

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Mar 19 2017 8:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately that's the only picture I have. The exterminator took the sample.
    I do live on the top floor of an apartment building so it may be possible that bats or birds nest close by.

I was thinking of buying packtite and treating my bags one at a time and trashing my furniture when i move. I don't know if I could afford the vikane fumigation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,665 posts in 40,194 topics over 122 months by 17,600 of 17,935 members. Latest: Code9, Blackbird13, Kvakalyabra