(8 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jun 8 2013 19:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

This is one of those posts that alerts you to things in the Green Stickies area.

I am compiling two Who's Who pages: one to list our regular "experts" and pros, so newcomers will know who they are (as much as they want to tell us anyway), and one for longtime non-experts.

I will be contacting regulars who are experts/pros directly.

And this one if you're a regular here but a non-expert, past the "newbite" stage, and want to be included.

I asked that people don't have a discussion on that thread, so if you've got anything to say about this idea or its implementation, please do so below!

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 11:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Refreshing this.

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 12:28:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NoBugs,

I just wanted to say that I love the idea of a Who's Who page in the Green Stickies (especially for ALL the experts / professionals - there are some that don't post everyday)!

However, I was thinking/wondering that if in addition to a green sticky for ALL the experts/pros, if you could put a "tag" or "title" under the REGULAR experts / pros names. I always thought that would be VERY helpful!

I know it would be more work for you (sorry) but maybe you could set some parameters . . . such as after "X" amount of posts from an expert/pro you could add their "tag." That way it would be limited to the experts/pros that help and post the most!

Just my opinion as I have always thought it would be extremely helpful!!

(Also, if you do add the "tags" . . . don't forget KQ likes to be called an exterminator!)

KillerQueen - 3 weeks ago  » 
    . . . . I think I'm the best exterminator (yeah I said exterminator ) on the planet but I always come back a second time to re-inspect and treat with follow up products.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/buggininbrooklyns-questions

KillerQueen - 3 months ago  » 
    Sounds like you need an exterminator over there =)

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/rat-lice-polyplax-spinulosa

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 14:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 1 hour ago  » 
    However, I was thinking/wondering that if in addition to a green sticky for ALL the experts/pros, if you could put a "tag" or "title" under the REGULAR experts / pros names. I always thought that would be VERY helpful!

Yes, that is in the works but will be the next step.

Here are some issues with the expert list: everyone who is a pro here will want to be included.

However, we need a bit of time for people to see the kinds of things someone is recommending (difference of opinion is expected but there have been pros here who made suggestions none of our regulars will agree with).

I am open to suggestions about what the status tag should be for experts/pros, but I am inclined to think something like:

Board certified entomologist (abbreviated somehow)
    bed bug pro (for those whose businesses treat only bed bugs)
    pest pro (for those whose businesses treat all kinds of pests)
    k9 pro

These may need to be verified somehow before I am going to flag people as having such a status and that is a bit of a logistical issue. It's why I am asking experts to email me and it may take a bit more time.

I get that individuals may prefer wildly different monnikers (like exterminator) but something more descriptive may help users.

And what do people have to do to prove they are what they claim to be? Perhaps instead a disclaimer saying we can't verify such claims, but also an understanding that people won't be added until they've been around a while.

I know those I consider "expert" would probably prefer to be called just that and I'd like to call them that, but the question becomes who else gets called an expert?

Perhaps it's best if the "status" tags are very brief and the description in the FAQ are more detailed. But you see this gets complicated. Having to decide how best to do all this has held it back until now.

Input welcomed!

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 17:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'm emailing you or you're emailing me? Sorry if I missed it, I'll read over everything again once off my phone.

PS. I want to be tagged as the best damn bed bug guy in the US of A! And I can provide invoices where I've worked behind failed treatments and or inspections from just about every company out there. lol damn this can get ugly quick

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 10 2013 21:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KillerQueen,
    I deleted the post asking people to email me, since I realized it would probably be better for me to reach out to people, based on some of the issues I noted above.

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 11 2013 15:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am open to suggestions about what the status tag should be for experts/pros, but I am inclined to think something like:

k9 pro

IMHO, that may be misleading. I think that a simple, smart "Forum Certified Expert" would work better and be more reassuring. Then, if someone wants to know who exactly the expert is, has simply to look in the who's who.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 11 2013 19:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 3 hours ago  » 

k9 pro

IMHO, that may be misleading. I think that a simple, smart "Forum Certified Expert" would work better and be more reassuring. Then, if someone wants to know who exactly the expert is, has simply to look in the who's who.

I see your point.

"Forum Certified Expert" may be tricky also. It's not hard for me to verify someone has a bed bug business. It's possible to verify a degree.

It's harder in some cases to verify someone is really an expert.

It may be true in some cases that we know they're experts by what they post more than what credentials they have.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956