Expert ID Needed Please

(12 posts)
  1. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 16:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this in tub after taking a shower. Could have been in tub before or possibly washed off me. I submersed specimen in rubbing alcohol prior to taking photo. Looks like some sort of mini snail shell but would appreciate an expert ID just to rule out bb cast skins. As you can see specimen is not flat but like a mini shell. Sorry for so-so picture quality, I can try again if needed. Thanks. Richard

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-MCZDFz/

2. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 18:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I cant really see it very good, but it does not look bed bug related to me

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 20:17:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. For some reason having problems uploading full resolution. This link may be a little better.
    Have to click on left pane to bring photo over to the right side. Then click on photo on right side to get it larger. Still not full resolution but working on it. I’ll also try a direct url post, maybe that is clearer.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-KCQPBj/

4. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 20:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Im already in the car, and do not see it very clearly, 100% not a bed bug.... I think a crustacean, still, remember i am looking at it in a shaking mobile.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 20:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, and drive carefully the ID can wait! I googled "crustacean" and closest visual match was a "pill bug". I was guessing "garden snail" before. But then again, if I knew what it was I wouldn't be posting pics Plus hanging around this web site can make you paranoid!!! Still don't understand why I can't upload full resolution, the web site certainly charges enough! Maybe it came from my garden and decided to take a shower with me? Do these things bite?

Richard

6. F. Pazos

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 3:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It may have come from the garden, even the drain in the shower.... Harmless to humans

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 9:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Finally figured out how to view photos in full resolution.

1. Click on larger photo on the right side.

2. On very lower right corner of screen you will notice a very small "size "icon. (see yellow square in photo below). Click on that icon and it brings up a drop down menu. Note that icon only stays visible for a few seconds after you click on it.

3. Then click on "original"

Like this:

Here are the two links to the photos again:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-KCQPBj/

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-MCZDFz/

You would think they would make these things intuitive or maybe they are if you're 16 years old. So apologies for anyone over 16

Richard

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 10:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Isopod. Stop scaring yourself like that!

What whispers the whisker?
  9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 10:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

BD: Isopod. Stop scaring yourself like that!
    --------------------
    Easy for you to say Not anywhere as good as yourself, but I'd say I'm a "7 or 8" on the BB ID scale of "10" but probably only a 5 or 6 on cast skins. That said, if it's MY bug, subtract 3 points! It's like the clarity you have when a friend asks you how to handle a problem with your wife or girlfriend, and the lack of clarity when it's YOUR wife or girlfriend. Certainly not saying that I'm married or going out with a bug, but you get the idea Thanks for chiming in, always value your input.

Richard

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 12:15:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Isopod but not sowbug, but pillbug. Looks like this one can actually roll into a sphere and then might look like a snail!

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 14:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for the ID's. Much appreciated!

Lou: Looks like this one can actually roll into a sphere and then might look like a snail!
    ---------------------
    Given my distance and the water running not sure, but I think it might have been flat just before I captured it and doused with rubbing alcohol.

Richard

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 16:13:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks all for the ID's. Much appreciated!
    Lou: Looks like this one can actually roll into a sphere and then might look like a snail!
    ---------------------
    Given my distance and the water running not sure, but I think it might have been flat just before I captured it and doused with rubbing alcohol.
    Richard

Yes, agreed, yours looks like it can become spherical.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,586 posts in 41,771 topics over 127 months by 18,318 of 18,785 members. Latest: ALivingNightmare, MontanaSPC, sarasoli