(10 posts)
  1. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 0:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

This morning I noticed a bug crawling around in my bathtub, and managed to capture it.

I've had previous scares several years ago, that turned out to be nothing (carpet beetles), but sadly this time it appears I drew the short straw. This most certainly looks like a bed bug to me, but I'll need someone to confirm.

Oddly, I've inspected my bed and can't see any obvious signs, and I've had a packtite passive monitor on my bed as a precaution for the last year and half. There's absolutely no sign of anything on the monitor. I do get the odd itchy welt, but have no idea if this is from bed bugs or something else.

Here are some links to photos. Hopefully they are clear enough for an ID:

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 10:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First of all deep breath and don't panic. This is not out of control and its not likely to become a massive issue.

Yes its a bed bug or close relative. I cant quite make out the detail needed to confirm the species so would suggest you use the chart linked on the page below:

http://www.batbugs.com

The bathroom location and its unfed status are odd factors which along with the lack of signs in the bedroom and lack of signs on the Passive Monitor would also indicate a close relative rather than bed bugs.

If adjoining neighbours are present they may need to be chatted with but the first step is to confirm the target species.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 12:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you very much for taking a look at the photos. I may see if I can get someone locally to ID the sample.

Upon further thought, it may not have been so strange to find it in my bathroom after all. I realized that in the mornings I usually toss my pj's over the towel rack while I'm showering. I also realized that after I towel-dry my hair I often toss the towel on my bed while I'm getting ready, and then put the towel back in the bathroom. A bug may have been transferred into the bathroom in this manner.

Or it could have wandered in through the ceiling vent from a neighbouring suite.

It's odd that there doesn't seem to be anything on my monitor. I will have to examine my mattress, boxspring & bedframe more closely this evening.

*Sigh* at least I'm somewhat educated from previous false alarms. Thanks again.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 12:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When you ask for the ID please specifically mention the concern of bat bugs so they don't just base it on the appearance, they need to look at the detail on this one.

The PJ's fact does not influence my recommendations.

The other option is to use a flat bed scanner to give us a high res scan.

David

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 13:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    When you ask for the ID please specifically mention the concern of bat bugs so they don't just base it on the appearance, they need to look at the detail on this one.
    The PJ's fact does not influence my recommendations.
    The other option is to use a flat bed scanner to give us a high res scan.
    David

It's possible that the male bug here was crawling and was on the PJs when you tossed them on the towel rack. It looks more like a common bed bug than a bat bug from these pictures supplied. A closer inspection with loupe/magnifier will help.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 13:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Yes feasible, depends on if its a full set of PJ's or bottoms only.

Its generally not a factor we encounter that often though as they would have usually eaten and gone back into hiding by the time in the sleep cycle where transfer on clothes is likely.

I would look at neighbours over PJ's in this kind of scenario.

David

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 14:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Lou,
    Yes feasible, depends on if its a full set of PJ's or bottoms only.
    Its generally not a factor we encounter that often though as they would have usually eaten and gone back into hiding by the time in the sleep cycle where transfer on clothes is likely.
    I would look at neighbours over PJ's in this kind of scenario.
    David

From another post on bedbugger.com
    "My mother's apartment I suspect is infested now too which would have come from my apartment (she lives on the same property but is moving in 3 days time and I have found bedbugs on the clothing I have been actively wearing when i found them on me)."
    Yes, generally not a factor, but if PJs are worn (although don't know if tight or loose fitting), there exists the possibility that the transfer comes from the bedroom to the bathroom. The posting referenced in my answer above, I believe, has a dense infestation rather than what is going on in the scenario occurring in this particular post of the one male bed bug.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 15:04:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

At high levels yes, but that is not this scenario.

Solution is try to ditch the PJ tops if you are worried about transferring bed bugs out of the bedroom and into the bathroom.

However, I will wager you a lunch that the issue is in-bound and not out-bound.

David

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 15:28:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Lou,
    At high levels yes, but that is not this scenario.
    Solution is try to ditch the PJ tops if you are worried about transferring bed bugs out of the bedroom and into the bathroom.
    However, I will wager you a lunch that the issue is in-bound and not out-bound.
    David

I still think the PJs are an issue, but......
    Don't bring PJs into bathroom is something that will work.
    Lunch is always good. Will monitor this discussion to hear the answer.

10. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 21:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for your thoughts on this. The bug was running around the inside of my bathtub when I discovered it. It was very flat looking so I'm assuming unfed. My thinking was that perhaps I had transferred it a couple of days prior, and it had been wandering in the wilderness of my bathroom for a day or two and somehow made its way into my tub. I'm not sure how long it takes a bug to digest a meal and return to its flattened state.

Unfortunately I don't have a flat-bed scanner, so I likely won't be able to obtain more detailed images. I live on the ground floor of a 3-story walk-up, so bat-bugs don't seem very likely.

I'll avoid transferring items back and forth from the bathroom going forward, and am going to continue inspecting my sleeping area. Will also be notifying my apartment management to see how they respond.

Again, thank you both for the expertise you provide everyone!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,728 posts in 43,314 topics over 130 months by 18,989 of 19,568 members. Latest: bradleyheathhays, jaygee, AAT09