Expert ID needed for bug abdomen found! [a: beetle]

(5 posts)
  1. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 19:34:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I was putting away my laundry the other night when I found this stuck to the inside of the bottom of the cotton laundry bag that just came out of the dryer. I have a shared laundry room in my building, but things go straight from the washer to the hot dryer (for an hour and 20 minutes), and then right into the laundry bag which was also washed and dried with the clothes. My things never come in contact with the clothing of others or any shared spaces down there.

We have many other bugs around our apartment, included (but not limited to) silverfish, carpet beetles, cigarette beetles, and spiders. I Just wondering if this part of a bug could be identified. There are two shots of both the top and bottom.

top 1 by Kp P, on Flickr

top 2 by Kp P, on Flickr

bottom 1 by Kp P, on Flickr

bottom 2 by Kp P, on Flickr

Many many thanks in advance!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 19:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a beetle abdomen

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 8 2017 19:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. The shape and the slight "point" at the bottom got me confused. Don't male bed bugs also have more of a point like this? I'll take beetle over bed bug any day!

4. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 2:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The pointy end is not unique to bed bugs makes. I vote for a beetle, too, because the thin edge around the abdomen is not present in bed bugs.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 7:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

OutOutDarnBugs - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks, Lou. The shape and the slight "point" at the bottom got me confused. Don't male bed bugs also have more of a point like this? I'll take beetle over bed bug any day!

Not really a point and it's not symmetrical. See this example. Not the best to see the distinction because the male doesn't have a pale background under it, but I think it's O.K.
    newly mated male & female bed bugs 2<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234