Expert bug ID please! [a: louse]

(11 posts)
  1. laviolett10

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 16:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so I was just sitting on my couch and saw this crawling on my dog. We did just come in from outside so I'm hoping maybe its some sort of outdoor bug? It looks to similar to a bed bug to me to just ignore though. If someone could let me know what when think ASAP I would really appreciate it. I'm concerned....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156670265@N04/shares/41o433

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 17:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely not a bed bug.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. laviolett10

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 17:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my gosh! Thank You so much! Any idea what it could be? Also, how can I tell myself so I don't freak out and have to ask you guys. Because it does look sort of close right? Thanks again.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

laviolett10 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Okay, so I was just sitting on my couch and saw this crawling on my dog. We did just come in from outside so I'm hoping maybe its some sort of outdoor bug? It looks to similar to a bed bug to me to just ignore though. If someone could let me know what when think ASAP I would really appreciate it. I'm concerned....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156670265@N04/shares/41o433

Not an outdoor bug. It's a parasitic one - sucking louse.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. laviolett10

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank-you so much. That doesn't sound good though. Do I need to do anything, my dog is treated for flea/tick/lice. Will these bite humans? Thanks again!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 6:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

laviolett10 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thank-you so much. That doesn't sound good though. Do I need to do anything, my dog is treated for flea/tick/lice. Will these bite humans? Thanks again!

Not quite sure if it's a dog louse or a human louse so that would be a head or body louse. Did you find many on the dog? The pictures are a bit out of focus when I zoom in.

7. laviolett10

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 18:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou, Thanks so much for responding again. Once you identified this as a "sucking lice" I took a closer look at the dog and did find more on her. That prompted a vet visit and they confirmed it is a dog specific form of lice under the microscope. Gross. Luckily, the Vet said these bugs are species specific and shouldn't effect or bite any of the humans in the house. The dog has been put on medication both oral and topical so hopefully we shouldn't have any other problems. Thanks again.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 12 2017 23:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Dog lice! I did not know such a thing existed. Changed the title— thanks, Lou!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Oct 13 2017 4:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

laviolett10 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi Lou, Thanks so much for responding again. Once you identified this as a "sucking lice" I took a closer look at the dog and did find more on her. That prompted a vet visit and they confirmed it is a dog specific form of lice under the microscope. Gross. Luckily, the Vet said these bugs are species specific and shouldn't effect or bite any of the humans in the house. The dog has been put on medication both oral and topical so hopefully we shouldn't have any other problems. Thanks again.

Dogs have both biting/chewing lice and sucking lice. The one species of sucking louse found on dogs is Linognathus setosus. I'd be interesting in seeing these lice - I suppose there are no specimens around? Did vet retain any?

10. laviolett10

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 16:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou, I did have 3 or 4 of these lice from the dog that I took to the vet. She looked at them under the microscope and then kept the samples! The vet told me it's actually pretty rare for a dog to get lice, and she hadn't seen a case in years. It's really strange because she is a tiny 7 pound dog that really doesn't got anywhere except for the Vet, so they are speculating she may have picked it up there. Anyway, if I find anymore on her I will absolutely save them for you. Should I send you a PM? Thanks so much for all your help.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Oct 17 2017 4:36:19
    #

Login to Send PM

laviolett10 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi Lou, I did have 3 or 4 of these lice from the dog that I took to the vet. She looked at them under the microscope and then kept the samples! The vet told me it's actually pretty rare for a dog to get lice, and she hadn't seen a case in years. It's really strange because she is a tiny 7 pound dog that really doesn't got anywhere except for the Vet, so they are speculating she may have picked it up there. Anyway, if I find anymore on her I will absolutely save them for you. Should I send you a PM? Thanks so much for all your help.

Funny, if she picked it up there, then there should be another of their patients that has them. PM if you find more. Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,621 posts in 43,065 topics over 129 months by 18,896 of 19,457 members. Latest: Bugtimore, Paranoid34, terrifieddd