Even worse than bed bugs: this site's design

(11 posts)
  1. LonelyIsland

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 11:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

This website has some great content and a valuable community. I am shocked, however, at the horrible site design. To register for the forum is difficult. I have been using the WWW since 1993 and actually, I have seen very few sites which are this difficult. I implore the powers that be to improve the site because many people who visit are already stressed out and in great need of access to the community. Why compound the pain with such a maze.

Edit: sorry the post sounds overly critical. It is the lack of sleep, I am pretty grumpy. Overall I like the simplicity and clean look. But I did have trouble figuring out the registration - because it is not the de facto standard interface. I believe there is room for improvement but keep up the good work of keeping this forum online. You're doing a great deed.

2. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 12:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hah! Yeah, it was difficult to sign up - especially on a mobile device.

3. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 13:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been afraid to weigh in on this but whatever. I'm at a place where I feel like I have little to lose.

The good: when I go to start a thread the site will suggest threads of a similar subject and I've often found my answer without adding to the chaos.

My issue: I've spent hours here, first as a lurker, and later as a member and am frequently lost trying to find the info I seek. Or I post and it never gets seen or responded to.
    Like the OP, I've had online experience since the BBS Era on a 2400 baud modem and rarely had such a hard time wading through all the threads to find what I need. Then again I might be ruined by social media.

I'm a homemaker with three rowdy boys (all under 6) and a husband who works insane hours providing lawn services to others. You know the saying "shoemaker'so wives go barefoot and doctors wives die young". I am already buried by life, add to that the loss of many hours of sleep each night. I have a love hate relationship with this site. Hope I don't get booted for having an opinion.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 16:45:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I welcome input about what works for you and doesn't on the site. Some feedback on your comments below.

About the forum software

I am working long term on upgrading the forum end of the site to different software-- I know it needs to do much better on mobile. You may not realize that that's not such an easy task for a forum which has been going for 10 years and has over 200K posts to switch. (Users have repeatedly stated that retaining the wealth of information already here is important to them when we do migrate.)

Last year there were major site improvements in terms of migrating to a better host, which helped a lot with speed. The search for a new forums platform is still on right now and the best option I've found is quite expensive. The site has grown -- making it more costly to run-- even as changes to advertising and the internet have meant the site's income has gone down.

I'm still working on a move and I hope to have more updates on that in coming months, but many of you won't be thinking at all about bed bugs by then, so it may not help you. (But won't not thinking about bed bugs be nice?)

Help us help you

Assuming you won't be around long enough for me to install new software, there are some things which you can do to can help us help you.

Calamity Jane wrote,

"My issue: I've spent hours here, first as a lurker, and later as a member and am frequently lost trying to find the info I seek. Or I post and it never gets seen or responded to."

Keep in mind that some questions are hard to answer and others are really directed at experts who may not be seeing them or may not be able to answer. Some experts focus mainly on IDs which is a specialty they can provide-- some do ID fecal but more ID only pests.

I try to help as much as I can by directing people to information here which is not always easy to find (though note we do have a good Google search box for the site at top right).

If there's anything you're having trouble finding or doing and it isn't covered in the How to use the forums green sticky, please let me know (send a link to your thread by pm) and I will try to help.

If your post doesn't have a helpful response in 20 hours or so, respond to the same thread and usually that will help. Note that sometimes we see people complaining because they posted say at 10:30 pm on a Saturday night and don't have a response by 1 am. Be reasonable in your expectations. Everyone is volunteering and the experts in particular aren't likely to be as active at off hours as people kept up by bed bugs.

Note that if you clearly label your threads with a brief, clear, specific question, it may help you get help faster. If your post itself is brief, that helps too. Experts are trying to read a lot of questions and respond to as many people as possible and they have often said they are less likely to read a long missive.

Keep in mind there are a small number of experts here, and some experienced non-experts, like me. Most people who have bed bugs get over them and don't come back. It's understandable. Those who are here are volunteers and are trying to help, but you have to be patient and make things as easy as possible for us.

How can you support the site?

Another thing you can do to help improve the site is if you purchase bed bug related items, please consider doing so through the Useful Tools page. It costs a lot of time and money to run a site like this -- and even more to make improvements -- and the small commissions paid on sales through the ads there really help. Of course, we wouldn't recommend US Bed Bugs and Bed Bug Supply if forum users didn't have such good experiences with them.

Getting booted

Finally in reference to Calamity Jane's statement, "Hope I don't get booted for having an opinion,"
    if you think that, you haven't been here very long. I pride myself on being reasonable and offering a space for people to exchange opinions. We draw the line here when people are making it difficult for others.

I hope people will feel free to chime in below with comments on how the site is working for you.

And I hope you will all consider the ways you can help us help you, as noted above.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bkh1928

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 15:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

First off is this forum closed. I press on sticky but next to it it says closed. Anyway I hope you respond short story. My daughter was given a bed bug infested bed 2 years ago and then 6 weeks ago my granddaughter spend the night and 4 weeks later I'm waking up with welt like bites on my arms. I need help in detection the best way because I'm moving in 3 weeks

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 15:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bkh1928 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    First off is this forum closed. I press on sticky but next to it it says closed. Anyway I hope you respond short story. My daughter was given a bed bug infested bed 2 years ago and then 6 weeks ago my granddaughter spend the night and 4 weeks later I'm waking up with welt like bites on my arms. I need help in detection the best way because I'm moving in 3 weeks

bkh1928,

I don't know what you clicked on, so I can't answer your question about the forums except to say the forums are open and active and going on our tenth year next March.

You need to start a NEW thread about your topic, and copy and paste this there.
    This FAQ explains how to start a new thread (among other things):
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-use-the-forums

It's bad to change the topic on an existing thread for a number of reasons, but most of all, it will help YOU get more responses if you start a new one.

Please repost in a new thread and we will be happy to help.

If anyone has comments on problems with this site and its design, this is the right thread.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 16:59:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Your free help sucks.

What whispers the whisker?
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 17:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Your free help sucks.

You're fantastic, BigDummy!

9. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 20:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Constructive criticism has always been taken at this site but perhaps new bites should get the lay of the land before offering their criticism. This site existed for many as an oasis of semi vetted information in the dark days when mis and disinformation where the order of the day. Numerous experts offered hours upon hours of helpful information, IDs, mental health and practical info. In part because of the creative forum that Nobugs offered at nobugs time and expense.

[some comments deleted by admin]

10. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 13 2016 22:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I would like to say that I am not a computer person and found this site to be very easy to use. it is very informational. you experts Thank you all for taking time out to help ( at the time of first sighting ) Crazy people like me.... I got excellent advise every time... I'm extremely Grateful. Keep up your Good Work. Nobugsonme Thank you for Keeping it going. I am 9 weeks clear today and it's because of You.... : )

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 14 2016 23:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Winston, and Sleeplessinshelbyville!

Winston was one of our earliest experts and his assistance has helped many.

The most important thing is that we continue to be here for others who need us-- that's why I started the site, that's why the experts and pros and bed bug survivors put in so much time volunteering.

I do welcome feedback on the site, and I will continue to make improvements as I can, so things are as easy as possible for users.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,919 posts in 42,659 topics over 128 months by 18,721 of 19,256 members. Latest: fg2670, ImCursed, Harkro