(8 posts)
  1. BBNL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 11 2016 5:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Based on all I've read on this site (thank God for this site!!!) I'm going to war armed with a steamer and a bag of DE, and I'm wondering if folks in Europe can share their DIY success stories, since lots of resources mentioned on this site (like Cimexa) aren't available here.

Back story (short version): had bb's in my last apt. PCO sprayed twice with some stinky poison that supposedly kills on contact. All seemed fine till just before I was due to move. Prepared for move with directions from this site and threw out just about every piece of furniture + all bedding and tons of clothes when I moved. Lo and behold a week after moving I got bitten. Small bite so I don't think there's an infestation - besides the PCO didn't solve the problem last time so DIY seems like a better route.

Thanks much!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 2:55:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You're best off looking at the success stories.

You would have to dig to find people specifically in Europe, but many DIYers use steam (see our steam FAQ) and DE (see DE FAQ). Adding a residual chemical spray is a good idea also.

It's true we recommend Cimexa now, but it's a very new product and many more people have used DE.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BBNL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 4:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobusonme.

I did check out the success stories but it's not always clear who's where, and frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I was hoping some Europeans could share their stories because we don't have the same products here as back in the US (there's no Cimexa and alcohol is rather restricted here, too).

I was hoping Europeans could help me figure out what residual chemical spray I can buy and where to find it. My city's health department has a shop but they don't seem to have anything for bb's - the dept's attitude towards bb's is very lax anyway.

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 5:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am in the U.K. This is what I bought from Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Large-Insects-Insecticidal-Surface/dp/B00757RIR4/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4XZW8DQ51MS3EWM51FCH
    If you use this supplier unpack andmake sure they send you the correct product. They sent me another product by mistake the first time.
    It only has a relatively weak active ingredient of 0.09 cypermetrin and sometimes bedbugs are now resistant to this ingredient. I also used DE.
    I vacuumed and steamed prior to applying the spray.
    If you have a small infestation local DIY shops in the U.K have sprays as well

5. player

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 7:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't try with the above product link! I tried DIY myself using the same product and thought it was easy Only to discover appliying it into tiny areas, the smell, and how to apply it was more difficult then it acutalky is, esp in in small hidding places as this product seems more a direct hit approach rather then a pro-long lasting period. Also if you don't have the knowledge and understanding in how to apply and where could make tthings worse. The manufactures of the product also sell foggers advertised for bbs - NEVEF USE THEM! The problem I found with DIY is you can make the situation worse uding chemicals and other DIY pest products which can unknowingly cause bbs to hide deeper,, not be so effective unless hitting bbs directly, can cause bbs to detect the DIY products you may use when applied causing them to relocate and the reappear later. Personally when I did DIY job it was harder then I thought due to the learning and correcting error procedures while adding anxiety and also failing. Finally ended up calling the pros (Bedbug..co.uk (London)) Using qualified and known pros who will simply save you a lot of hassle, stress, money, and time.

Also do be aware of many positive reviews as they are usually by the manufacturers themselves on there products.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 23:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNL - 19 hours ago  » 
    Thanks, Nobusonme.
    I did check out the success stories but it's not always clear who's where, and frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I was hoping some Europeans could share their stories because we don't have the same products here as back in the US (there's no Cimexa and alcohol is rather restricted here, too).
    I was hoping Europeans could help me figure out what residual chemical spray I can buy and where to find it. My city's health department has a shop but they don't seem to have anything for bb's - the dept's attitude towards bb's is very lax anyway.

Hi-- A lot of people everywhere have used steam and diatomeceous earth (DE). Yes, you're right, you'd need someone in the EU to recommend a residual chemical.

As for shopping suggestions, there may not be currently anyone else from the Netherlands who self-treated and is still posting here.

7. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 5:28:45
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi. I am in the U.K. This is what I bought from Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protector-Large-Insects-Insecticidal-Surface/dp/B00757RIR4/ref=pd_nav_hcs_bia_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4XZW8DQ51MS3EWM51FCH
    If you use this supplier unpack andmake sure they send you the correct product. They sent me another product by mistake the first time.
    It only has a relatively weak active ingredient of 0.09 cypermetrin and sometimes bedbugs are now resistant to this ingredient. I also used DE.
    I vacuumed and steamed prior to applying the spray.
    If you have a small infestation local DIY shops in the U.K have sprays as well

There is virtually no smell with this product and I have a very good sense of smell. It comes in a large container and is a fluid. I just decanted it into a smaller bottle with a spray nozzle. How can spraying be difficult? Also it says it has a long lasting residual effect and can be applied monthly, suitable for mattresses and soft furnishings. Interestingly it does not actually state how long the residual effect is!

8. BBNL

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 6:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

@frightened: thanks for the link! Unfortunately the product isn't currently shipped to the Netherlands so I'll see if something with the same formula is available here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,895 posts in 45,390 topics over 138 months by 19,945 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug