Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Etymology question

(13 posts)
  1. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Apr 11 2014 18:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

So, as I have (not by choice) entered the world of bugs, I have this need to know everything I can about bugs, especially the one's I find in my home. So here is a weird question (but you should all be used to that from me by now).

Today there was a black beetle on my arm. I squished it and a large amount of very bright blood came out. I'm pretty sure it was blood bc, as an experiment, I tested it w. BedBugBlue. It was definitely a beetle because he was black and had vertical lines on his back.

Now, it is said that BBBlue will test positive on human blood (and I do know that in the case of determining bed bug fecal that if it's red don't use blue). What in the world kind of bug that doesn't feed on human blood would 1. have that much come out when killed? 2. make the test strip turn positive? Or did this beetle have a meal "on me" before I killed it!?

Thanks in advance!
    S♥

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 9:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes !

It's entomology. NOT etymology.

You stated:

"Today there was a black beetle on my arm. I squished it and a large amount of very bright blood came out. I'm pretty sure it was blood bc, as an experiment, I tested it w. BedBugBlue. It was definitely a beetle because he was black and had vertical lines on his back."

Based upon this description alone, we don't know if it was a beetle or not. An adult beetle would normally have certain physiological characteristics including but not limited to:

> Hardened/formidable fore wings or elytra which cover the membranous hind or flight wings.

> The heavy fore wings help to make beetles appear as if they are covered in a shell like skin. They're kinda-sorta "crunchy" when squished.

> Except for the scarab flesh eating computer animated critters in that appeared in the "Mummy" movies, I'm not sure that there are actually any blood feeding type actual coleopteran (true beetles) in the entire world. Note that dermestid or hide type beetles feed on dead or decaying animal flesh. Further, while blood feeding insects have piercing - sucking mouth parts, beetles have chewing mouth parts.

As such, if this critter you found was full of blood, it likely was not a beetle.

> Note that a fully engorged bed bug may appear very dark in color but there wouldn't be any "stripes".

> We can't tell what it is for sure based upon your description alone.

> Note that the amount of "bug goo" and bodily fluids which are emitted from a crushed insect will be directly proportional to the size of the critter. And, an individual's perception of the quantity of such matter may vary by individual as well.

> Going forward it may be best for you to capture such critters live, and post a photo prior to crushing/destroying these specimen. In this way there will be little or no doubt as to what you found.

Hope this helps ! pjb

3. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 10:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paul, and I apologize for the error in word usage. Forgive me.

I had taken some pics and hadn't completely obliterated the little bugger when I killed it. Here are some pics. I wonder if just a small amount of bug hemolyph(?) could test positive.

https://flic.kr/p/n2k7pg
    https://flic.kr/p/n2k6G2
    https://flic.kr/p/n2k6fa
    https://flic.kr/p/n2mJnL
    https://flic.kr/p/n2k61H

I tried to google him. He seems like a ground beetle? But you most definitely know better. Maybe a new breed of Zombie beetle!? lol

I apologize for the quality of the pics - I really don't understand how I am not a famous photog with my mad crazy camera skills

4. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 10:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

and I'm pretty sure that the piece sticking out (unattractively of course) it's end quarters occurred when I killed it.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 11:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sample 100% not bedbugs.

The easiest tell is the antenae which I just wrong shape for bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

6. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 11:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

David! It's been a while. I hope you are well!

Pretty awesome looking beetle-something-or-other. I am trying to embrace the beauty of the Ugly Bug. LOL

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 11:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes I liked the shot where you caught the pattern on the wing casing a good illustration of the beauty we see at this detail.

It's an amazingly textured world when you start to look.

I would also suggest you google "the ugly bug ball" for some great images.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 11:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I just posted the Disney Ugly Bug Ball video in another thread. My goal is to begin to see the "beauty" in these critters - I mean if we're stuck living with the common beetles, spiders, moths, etc. we might as well take a closer look.

This doesn't mean I like them any better!

9. Butterfly1972

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 12:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It's entomology. NOT etymology.

Suzanne,

Don't feel bad.....I've made worse mistakes.

And you had me at "Disney"..... Off to find the video!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Butterfly

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 15:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, photos, good.

( BTW, Etymology is the study of words.)

What you have is definitely a beetle.

Key morphological characteristics include (those posted above):

> Robust and sclaritized (i.e. hardened, shield like) fore wings.

> Chewing mouth parts.

> Membranous hind wings or flight wings.

> Other factors.

What you may see protruding from the hind end is likely the flight wings which may not be fully folded under the fore wings.

In any case, it is NOT a bed bug !

pjb

11. Suzanne

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 17:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul- as a teacher I should have totally picked up on the misuse of etymology as opposed to entomology. I mean duh - that's what I study, the study of words! lol

Thanks for your response. He was just a real juicy beetle I guess.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 21:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries, we all knew what you really meant "bugology". However, it was something that needed to be clarified.

pjb

13. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2014 0:19:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Shucks. I was hoping there was a question that I might actually be able to answer. Oh well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234