ERADICATOR Laundry Detergent

(5 posts)
  1. BBFergie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 19 2011 6:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Home Depot, and other places, sell "Bed Bug Dust Mite Eradicator Enzyme Laundry Treatment" which says it eliminates the critters during the wash cycle. That would be nice! Anybody have experience?

"All natural Bed Bug - Dust Mite Eradicator Enzyme Laundry Treatment uses scientifically proven active ingredients to eradicate insects in your wash cycle. Eradicator's enzymes react violently with insects' outer shell, eliminating them on contact."

Link to the Home Depot sheet: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/7e/7e43e96e-d6e2-4eeb-8493-c38ecdbc7a60.pdf The active ingredients are:
    Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is 8.9%
    Sodium Chlorided 3%
    Potassium Sorbate 0.32%

http://www.bedbug911.com/bedbug-laundry-dry-cleaning-nyc.php has a BB laundry service in NYC and says they "created an enzyme-based bed bug laundry detergent additive that kills nits in all temperatures and wash cycles"

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 19 2011 6:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The main question is why you would add something when washing at 60 degrees centigrade will suffice.

It simply does not need to be more complex than a good hot wash or a trip in the tumble dryer.

Sorry this sort of "add on" bedbug product offers no value and gets a two thumbs down from me.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. BBFergie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 19 2011 7:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

David - you are fast! Here in the US, typical Hot water temperatures are 40–49 °C (104–120 °F).

There are several benefits of dealing with them in the wash cycle . . . if this stuff works:
    1) No damage to delicate clothing on hot dryer cycle
    2) "normal" laundry time vs. running dryer for 30-60 minutes extra
    3) Energy savings

Looks like bedbug911.com is the supplier of the Eradicator product, from what I can see in this link:
    alibaba.com/product-tp/115747256/Bed_Bug_911_Exterminator_Enzyme_Laundry_Additive.html

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 19 2011 7:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I take your points on board but I am not known for being a fan of people creating additional cost through products where a simple solution will suffice.

I would encourage them to get some independent testing done to support their claims and to prove advanced efficacy above other methods.

David

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 19 2011 10:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The ingredients above are common household detergents, which (in high enough concentrations) will kill BB (but not eggs) on contact. Choose this one based on price, availability, pretty label, etc.

The heat of a washer may kill some BB as well, but don't count on it.

A washer's rinse/spin action is likely to eject some bugs, too, but not all eggs, which can be stuck securely to surfaces.

So, you can "eliminate" and "eradicate" some bugs in the washer, but it's not due to a particular hyperbolically named detergent.

This distributor notes that they'll private label it, so expect to see it in various guises. I guess this is not that different from the sale of "products" in hair cutting places. They're likely not that different from what you can get at Walgreen's, but you like the stylist and you're low on shampoo, so you buy it.

"Bed Bug 911" is a spin off of janitorial service "Home Clean Home". They seem to take a deep clean/contact kill approach (rather than pesticides) to BB. They were discussed here a few months/years back (nothing outstandingly good or bad, IIRC). At the time they made it pretty clear that they are not exterminators, but will work with yours to help prep. (I've suggested, without endorsement, to one poster, who needed prep help, to check them out.) I guess having a private label detergent gives them some cachet and a selling opportunity.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.