Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Entomology article on dichlorvos (hotshot pest) strips- advice and ideas?

(7 posts)
  1. Ohnobedbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 11:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story short- Husbands family was going to visit until we discovered bedbugs. They still are for a week but we're all staying at a friend's large house while they are on vacation. Yes, I know how to properly sanitize EVERYTHING so as to not infest their house

Anyways, my question is- I found this article on DDVP strips: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2915.2011.00944.x/abstract?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+6+Aug+from+10-12+BST+for+monthly+maintenance

Has anyone done this? I am thinking of taking our cats to my grandmas, shutting the house up, turning on the ceiling fans (and maybe even the heat) and hanging Hot shot pest strips in every room. Our weather is nasty here (like everywhere) and it should get above 95 in the house by the afternoon. We can be gone from Sunday to Sunday the next.

I hired a PCO to come in- He was trained in how to deal with bed bugs. He came back 3 weeks or so later and did another one. Before he treated I only had one bite, we caught them early. We went out of state to visit family last month for a week, and then last week I found what I believe to be bites all over the back of my thigh. My skin is once again crawling and I am not sleeping well. I have also found 2 little fecal spots- maybe you can correct me if they don't seem like bb's. They weren't dried (I check 2x a day now) they were like miniature mice drops and when I put them on a wet tissue they turned it reddish brown. We don't have hundreds of dollars to keep dumping into this. I bought some dusting chemicals as.

I think this seems like a good idea but I don't want to kill us or cause my kid of have brain damage out of paranoia.

What do you think?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 12:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have seen this data presented at meetings over the last few years. On a few occasions I have come close to walking out of the presentations due to some technical content and the way this approach is presented.

If you adjoin on to an neighbour you should NEVER do this approach as it can expose them.

I have not tested it as DVVP stripes are not legal in the UK and even if they were it would NEVER by an approach I would take with a light infestation.

If used it is certainly not a home remedy solution as the area would need to be checked to ensure the active ingredients are low enough at the end of the process not to prove to be a health risk. I also understand that is it not currently labelled for this application.

Hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 13:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

They don't explain how forcing, lets say, a 10 fold increase in agent release from one strip differs from hanging 10 strips which is a clear violation of labeling.

The safety of the strips is based on hanging in static air. This forced air accelerated release is uncharted territory as far as safety goes.

Jim

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 14:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I am familiar with this too, but it is very worrying from a consumer standpoint. Done wrong, people can die. I would strongly recommend against it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Ohnobedbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 17:58:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys-
    A couple of points- no adjoining building and if I only used our ceiling fans and just did our upstairs (which is the only place I have found them) could it not be within their labeling since no one will technically be living there and I drove home 24 hours ahead of time to open all the windows?

I would never use more then the recommended amount. Their strength is 30 something or other and I think the upstairs would call for 2 pest strips or possibly one in each bedroom.

Is that still too risky? Should I just stick with dusting?

I have done EVERYTHING I'm supposed to do. The PCO guy treated last month. I sprayed our upstairs with crack and crevice spray (as instructed- not as a fogger) last week. Every thing is still sanitized in zip lock bags. I do not have clutter...

I don't know what else to do.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 0:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I do think it's really dangerous and not something people should be doing.

7. Ohnobedbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you,
    I won't then

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,883 posts in 43,563 topics over 131 months by 19,079 of 19,673 members. Latest: amanda017, sircoolkeen, skale