Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Entire community in BB crisis.

(18 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 16:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So the community I live in, a reservation, is currently experiencing a BB epidemic. Lots of families so they are spreading like..... bed bugs ?. Anyways, well over 50 homes are affected and growing. The quoted price from Orkin is $1000 per home. The decision to fund has been tabled. I wanted to suggest a cheaper option which would be dusts, deep cleaning, steam/ vacuuming and education. Right now thier approach is to hand over a can of Raid to anyone who asks. I wanted to suggest a booklet of information, treatment kit (gloves, mask, goggles, cimexa, garbage bags ect) and information on how to properly apply the dust. I am going to tell you, they will not be paying for a pro anytime soon as this is considered low priority. But this bug problem needs to be dealt with now! What kind of stuff would you suggest to get this ball rolling?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 17:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to say kudos to you for undertaking the task of helping so many families! You may want to get 2-3 quotes from independent pest control companies as well. It will be difficult to get that many families to self-treat and resolve the problem. (I have just 1 tenant and he's being difficult!)

Check out the DIY help links in my disclaimer below to give you an idea of what experts recommend for DIY. Studies have shown Cimexa to be a very effective product in killing bed bugs so if it's available in your area it would be good to have it on the arsenal list.

Here's an idea of how to treat a bedroom. The youtube channels in my link have videos for treating couches and other areas of the home.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

Account closed
  3. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 17:58:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Could the leaders create a small task force of people to head up bed bug treatment on the reservation? Or hire a PCO to give some workshops and educate the community? (Don't know if it's an option, just tossing out ideas.)

This non-profit organization has a hotline. http://ibbra.org/bed-bugs-hotline/
    (NOT AN ENDORSEMENT, JUST SHARING INFO)

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 12 2017 18:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have a contact for someone who has been doing support and outreach for bed bug issues in remote indigenous populations who will I am sure have a lot of resources that could help you.

The most immediate help is to say stop using aerosol based products as they can actually help to spread within communities rather than resolving. It's better to teach people how to use simple detergent based contact killers such as those in the FAQ section.

There you will also find basic education and communication tools so you can help people to start reducing the introduction of bed bugs into the community while you also seek more efficacious long term treatment solutions.

I myself has worked with a number of communes and communities to educate on avoidance which is ultimately where you need to start.

If you PM me I will try and locate their email address or LinkedIn profile.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 0:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so the lady in charge is going to go ahead and atart treating in summer. I called my PCO who did my house in Oct and he offered to do $600 per house. He has to travel and do 50+ houses so that is a good price compared to Orkin who would inly spray once. So now I want to get together an information package on the prep before treatment. Does anyone know a good printable document I can copy to distribute?

The sad part about this whole ordeal is the higher ups don't care about the pest problem! They don't care that elderly and children are being eaten alive every night! Maybe they need to spend a few weeks in a BB infested house! I bet if one of them got them they would be screaming left and right to get it done!!! My husband and I were lucky we were able to pay for our treatment and got reimbursed. Not everyone has $100 readily available, let alone $1000!

6. mp7ski

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 1:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 59 minutes ago  » 
    Okay so the lady in charge is going to go ahead and atart treating in summer. I called my PCO who did my house in Oct and he offered to do $600 per house. He has to travel and do 50+ houses so that is a good price compared to Orkin who would inly spray once. So now I want to get together an information package on the prep before treatment. Does anyone know a good printable document I can copy to distribute?
    The sad part about this whole ordeal is the higher ups don't care about the pest problem! They don't care that elderly and children are being eaten alive every night! Maybe they need to spend a few weeks in a BB infested house! I bet if one of them got them they would be screaming left and right to get it done!!! My husband and I were lucky we were able to pay for our treatment and got reimbursed. Not everyone has $100 readily available, let alone $1000!

What an unfortunate situation but at least they have someone such as yourself who cares enough to help. I like your idea of a packet of information. Just make sure any prep sheet goes along with whatever pco your higher ups decide on. Good luck!

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  7. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 3:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The EPA has some information on their site. Scroll to the bottom of the page in the section ADDITIONAL INFORMATION and there are some preparation PDFs.

https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/preparing-treatment-against-bed-bugs

8. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 3:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so the lady in charge is going to go ahead and atart treating in summer.

That's a long time to wait for treating homes with known infestations. The bbug population will grow significantly in that time frame.

9. bedbugsbugme

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 9:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 5 hours ago  » 

Okay so the lady in charge is going to go ahead and atart treating in summer.

That's a long time to wait for treating homes with known infestations. The bbug population will grow significantly in that time frame.

Yes but it is the only way they can do this. And durimg summer they can have tenants camp in tents during thier treatment. It takes quite a bit of time to come up with that much money. But I will push to get it done a bit sooner. But it will still leave tons of time to make sure everyone is prepared properly to ensure complete eradication

10. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Feb 13 2017 14:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes but it is the only way they can do this. And durimg summer they can have tenants camp in tents during thier treatment. It takes quite a bit of time to come up with that much money. But I will push to get it done a bit sooner. But it will still leave tons of time to make sure everyone is prepared properly to ensure complete eradication

Sounds like a good plan.

You might consider some DIY spray and Cimexa in the meantime just to keep the bbug population under control. I use Bayer Home Advance Home Pest plus Germ Killer for direct contact spray. It is very effective. Also 91% alcohol for direct spray. Cimexa can be used now and vacuumed up before professional treatment. Here is some info on Cimexa used without prepping the homes:
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

11. bedbugsbugme

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 0:56:53
    #

Login to Send PM

So I got asked to not only join the housing committee but to provide some numbers as to how much it will cost to assist people who don't have washers and dryer (to take thier clothes to the laundrymat) and the amount of people we will need to help those who cannot do it themselves (elders, disabled). I have a lot of work to do. David I totally forgot to pm you. Doing it now.

12. mp7ski

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 1:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 8 minutes ago  » 
    So I got asked to not only join the housing committee but to provide some numbers as to how much it will cost to assist people who don't have washers and dryer (to take thier clothes to the laundrymat) and the amount of people we will need to help those who cannot do it themselves (elders, disabled). I have a lot of work to do. David I totally forgot to pm you. Doing it now.

Not surprised they asked. Sounds like you'll be a great asset and contributor to the community. They should be thankful that they have someone that cares enough and is willing to put in the work to help others in the community. The world needs more people like you. If I wasnt dealing with my own infestation I would offer to help in anyway I could, but right now, all my focus needs to be on my situation. I'd be really interested to keep hearing updates on this over the long term progression. I think it will give some insight and knowledge into how communities may be able to deal with this crisis as a whole.

13. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 2:17:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, such a huge undertaking. You deserve a medal. Maybe reach out to other reservations and see if they have developed similar programs.

A thought that popped into my head... mobile dryer which can be parked outside a home.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 15 2017 7:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You need to engage the whole community in the same way that you would engage everyone with any significant issue of community / public health. In your case this is actually easier than a typical urban setting because neighbors already have a lot of common ground.

I will send you the details for someone I know who does this with the Tanana Chiefs Conference in Alaska.

At the second your world is very much Reactive orientated because this is the issue that is in front of you. However, the long term solution rests in shifting the footing to one of being Proactive. This aspects is very much the "lessons learned" phase in most processes but the reality with bed bugs is those steps are also about not making the matter worse.

In this setting where you have a significant lead time to "mass treatment" those proactive steps become even more important because they are the steps that prevent dispersal and on-going impact.

Its a big project to take all this on board and be the thought leader. Therefore one of the best things we can help you with is getting organised from the start. After all we cant fix this one over night and it will take understanding to help fix it in the long run as well.

The incentive for the community being that when correctly managed the issue declines rapidly and avoidance becomes second nature. The annual cost per bed can be managed by taking simple small steps rather than having to suddenly respond to an out of control situation.

This approach also works best for the members of your community who need the most support because when correctly managed they no longer need a huge intervention and invasive treatment.

I would also encourage you to get a decent in focus image for us to ID and confirm from, it may be that you issue is a close relative which require different treatment processes and methods to bed bugs.

I will reply to your email with the name of the person I know who will be able to explain why long term solutions in her communities start with education.

Hope that helps.

David

15. anonabug

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 11:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Try this first. Buy a 5 lb bucket of Cimexa and a duster, all for under $150. Apply Cimexa between mattress and boxspring and around EVERY sleeping area in EVERY home in the entire community. Cheap, relatively safe and relatively easy, and it might work. If it does, post about it!

16. mp7ski

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 14:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

anonabug - 2 hours ago  » 
    Try this first. Buy a 5 lb bucket of Cimexa and a duster, all for under $150. Apply Cimexa between mattress and boxspring and around EVERY sleeping area in EVERY home in the entire community. Cheap, relatively safe and relatively easy, and it might work. If it does, post about it!

I'm a cimexa fan and all but telling someone who is tackling an issue as vast and intricate as this that they should buy a bunch of cimexa and spread it everywhere, especially when you weren't even sure your own "resolved" situation was from bed bugs in the first place, is not good advice whatsoever.

17. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 17 2017 14:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's great advice. It can get the bbug population knocked down or maybe even resolved in some homes. Better to do that then wait 5 months for ANY treatment and have the bbug population explode.

18. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 13:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Almost a year later and now 77 units are infested with bed bugs and or cockroaches 😯

They finally found some funding to get mass treatment done. I am in charge of inspections and preperation. They are giving me a vehicle to use so I don't have to use my personal vehicle as well as head to toe cover alls.

I am glad this is finally being addressed. Better late than never.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78