Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Encasement, mattress, my experience

(12 posts)
  1. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 16:47:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Making this post as a DIY'er and what was found when using a mattress encasement. Just to help others out if they are deciding or already are using one.

The day after figuring out what was biting us we placed an encasement on the mattress. Doing a quick 'net search on these critters this was high on many to-do lists.

It has now been on the mattress for 9 - 10 months, and discovered that some of what detractors of encasement's say are true. Basically:

1. they are fragile, easy to tear or compromise
    2. the BB's can bite through them

Had both happen to us. When it tore we didn't know it and the infestation started to take off again. We were making headway when it became a retreat. Fixed the tears with clear packing tape and continued on {been corrected by SWMBO, it was gorilla tape}.

So be careful when fitting sheets or moving the mattress. Should also protect the encasement by putting something on the frame or box-spring. Packing tape can be used, or in our case could have used a sheet of 4-mil poly under the mattress/encasement.

As for being bit through it, it started by getting bit on the legs. Prior to the encasement that never occurred (they feasted on my arms & hands). It was one of the pro's here that mentioned this in a post, when I read that it made sense that I was being bit on the legs.

Placed a heavier flat sheet under the current sheet and that stopped. No need to be feeding the critters...

WhatBugs?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 17:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

WhatBugs -  » 
    . . . 2. the BB's can bite through them
    . . . .As for being bit through it, it started by getting bit on the legs. Prior to the encasement that never occurred (they feasted on my arms & hands). It was one of the pro's here that mentioned this in a post, when I read that it made sense that I was being bit on the legs.

O. M. G. and YIKES!! I don't think I've ever seen that! Do you know where you saw that or can you link to it?!

3. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 17:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, here we go. I figured it was David:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/passive-monitor-in-office-setting#post-203646

Here is the important text, although it appears the 2nd sentence may be a little corrupt:

Sadly a large number of which were on the inside the mattress encasement. While the previous pest controller had said they would die a chase comment from a resident about only getting bitten when sleeping under the duvet made me curious to look inside.

WhatBugs?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 6:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes to confirm this was a case where bedbugs proliferated because they were able to feed through the encasement. The brand being used was one of the well known "celebrity entomologist" endorsed ones and as an update on the site they are now fully self-sufficient in their bedbug endeavors because of the training, tools and systems we have put in place.

Top correct the typo in the second sentence, it should read:

Sadly a large number of which were on the inside the mattress encasement. While the previous pest controller had said they would die a chance comment from a resident about only getting bitten when sleeping under the duvet made me curious to look inside.

It also shows that people who take money to endorse a product are not always the most accurate or honest in the information that they provide people. I know that may come as a shock to some but other of us have realised that some people are just low lying scum sucking nasty pieces of work, I am sure one will be along to defend encasements soon enough.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 10:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

David (and others),

Not jumping in to defend encasements as I never fully bought into them to begin with, but now I'm confused. I thought that bed bugs did not have piercing mouth parts, and thus could not pierce through most materials, which is why they can't bite through clothing? Can someone please clarify?

TY,
    BIS

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 10:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsyracuse -  » 

Not jumping in to defend encasements as I never fully bought into them to begin with, but now I'm confused. I thought that bed bugs did not have piercing mouth parts, and thus could not pierce through most materials, which is why they can't bite through clothing? Can someone please clarify?

It's my understanding that bed bugs have piercing mouth parts but not biting mouth parts. I have also personally been told by Paul that it is possible for bed bugs to potentially bite through clothing/material based on how thick the clothing is and how big the bed bug is.

And since they have piercing mouth parts and not biting mouth parts they can't bite/chew their way out of the encasement.

That's my understanding at least.

7. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 10:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, that makes sense then, Abs! Thanks for the clarification, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 11:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsyracuse -  » 
    . . . have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thank you, you too.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 11:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes confirming its piercing not biting/chewing and thus the thickness of the material (if think enough) can act as a barrier they cant bite through. If the think about the feeding jars you may have seen people like Lou and myself use the mesh keeps the bedbugs in the jars but allows they to happily feed through them.

In the case of people wearing clothes they rarely bite through them due to both thickness and the fact that when close to food they switch their sensing to near IR which means uncovered skin produces more of a signal for a potential feeding site.

Hope that gives you the detail you need.

David

10. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 12:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I fed them again this morning. Woke about 6 am with an inching/burning on the fleshy side of my hand (area opposite the thumb). As I lifted my head and pulled my hand back I actually smelled them, that distinct sour aroma.

They got to me as my hand was in the corner formed by the headboard and mattress, with the top sheets being pulled back a little. Using flat sheets more or less draped over the bed as not to compromise the encasement by folding them under.

This encasement is thin, very thin, if brand names are allowed to be posted: Aller-ease. The particular one we purchased is sold as a bed bug protection and allergy relief product.

At this time there are no other BB's around. So what does one do with an encasement with them in it? As the SO and I talked a bit about this last night, the biggest issue is that it becomes compromised again... Figure that it'll be at least a year before the ones in the encasement are no longer a threat.

WhatBugs?

11. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 12:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you fit another, better encasement around the existing one?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2014 12:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When you have an encasement that contains bedbugs I would advise as follows.

• If feasible stand mattress in bath or on a contained surface
    • Carefully remove encasement
    • Steam with a low pressure steamer as you go to physically kill anything
    • Vacuum mattress to ensure everything is clean and clear
    • Put encasement in a hot wash
    • Don't bother wasting time and effort putting it back on as it serves no purpose beyond stain avoidance

As for double encasing my only response is "why stop at just two, you could make a futon out of them" or make one for the bedside furniture while you are at it.

On a more serious note if you feel you have been sold an encasement on benefits which you know to be false the correct people to raise the issue with are the FTC.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking