eggs

(23 posts)
  1. owlgirl

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 19:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess this is mostly a rant about myself, but I thought bedbug eggs were black. I have been finding little white dots on me, but since I thought the eggs were black, I just tossed them away. I guess i have been spreading eggs all over my house? crap. grrr. is it true that the eggs are white? if so, have any of you had bedbug eggs laid on you?

2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 19:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

that's a fine question
    pooh pooh is black and I get that laid on me all the time lol
    OK little white things on you, that you've been tossing around the house are NOT BED BUG EGGS!
    bed Bug pooh looks alomst black from small to large poppy seed size--to coursely grounded Black Peper, "fleck-like" things.
    I've seen two so large they were nealry like mouse dirt--but flatter.And GAWD knows how many I've seen, so small, that I figured they were bits of lumped-up "street dirt".
    You could be trying to make a joke.

If you ever had eggs laid in your armpit--you'd know! lol it's not funny! lol

3. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 21:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Owlgirl,

I'm not sure where Willow is going with his comment, but to answer your question, bedbug eggs are not black. They are white - some say "whitish clear." They are very small and shaped like kernels of rice. They are sticky.

I have never seen eggs in person, so I can't describe them any better than that. But I suggest you go on bedbugger and look at some of the links to photos. Also, under Bed Bug Information there is a link to the U of Toronto's photos - I think there are pics of eggs in there.

You might also want to try the Yahoo group called Bedbugger, search for "eggs" and maybe you'll find messages describing them.

4. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 21:47:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and either way, if you have anything sticky on you, please do not toss it, but maybe keep it as evidence (tape it with clear tape to an index card, for example, or tape it with masking tape to the inside of a ziploc).

PS - It's doubtful that eggs would be laid ON YOU. However, it's possible eggs were laid in your clothes. Has all your clothing been washed and dried on hot? Is it isolated in airtight bags?

PPS - It's perfectly okay to go on a 'rant about yourself.' We are all a little bit selfish here when we need advice, and that is perfectly acceptable. That's literally what the forums are for - to tell people about YOUR problems and hopefully get some answers. So don't worry! We're here to help.

5. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 21:53:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah for me ... it is not funny because the abnormal DID happen to me!
    Rarely will a bed bug live on you, say, in your hair--THAT probalby never happens. They will hang out in the clothing though, and I don't think it is random ... they do sense us. So I don't know what the little white spots are? could be cast skins of the youngest one's but they would be more yellowish. Ranting is good. As I recall your infestation is new and small, so probalby nothing to get overly worried about. perhaps though--put them into a jar just in case they are bed bug related somehow, as in, they could ber parts of a cast (molted)skins or even dried up eggs from the wash.
    It's all gross--we know ...

6. owlgirl

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 22:16:58
    #

Login to Send PM

OK thanks everyone, I haven't been able to find another white thing to compare this to, but I think it might be eggs (big sigh). The only thing I'm uncertain about is the size of the eggs in relation to my white stuff. Next time i find one i'll keep it. It's true, my infestation is still pretty new, and small (I hope. I haven't found their 'lair' yet). Fun times! Thanks again S and willow!

7. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 13 2007 23:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

the shell is rather thick for something so small ... chalky when dry. To me, it is like a very miniature goose egg, or as S., said, a small grain of white rice about half the size of a grain of white cooked rice.
    happy hunting? ugh! Fun times yeah ohhh yea!

8. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2007 17:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I always remembered reading that eggs are invisible to the naked eye. And to be honest, that's what has made the craziest since I was fighting an invisible enemy. Has anyone here seen them? And if so, what color/kind of flooring did you have? Or did you catch them using carpet (or some other kind of) tape? If it wasn't tape, were you using a magnifying glass to see them, too?

-Blow

9. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2007 19:25:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I never saw an egg...but ask WILLOW. He has. Also... you NEED A MAGNIFYING GLASS to inspect. I have witnessed Jeff from Pestaway with his magnifying glass.... looking at the specimens I brought him...which were just "dirt".

10. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2007 19:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, how I wish we could see the eggs. I'd feel so much better!

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2007 23:47:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bbs blow--the shell is rather thick for something so small ... chalky when dry. To me, it is like a very miniature goose egg, or as S., said, a small grain of white rice about half the size of a grain of white cooked rice.
    happy hunting? ugh! Fun times yeah ohhh yea!
    they are visible to naked eye about a hair's breath short of 1mm or a pin head size elogated oval. they are off white and dampish when first laid--almost gooey. Usually lain in secluded areas--that's one main reason they are not usually ever seem. i had like 40 ... or should I say forty-three!

hint: there are many pictures of eggs on this site but they are not in people's armpits lol you can compare them to the size of the poppy seed like pooh in many pics

12. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 14 2007 23:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

hey WMSB--what KIND of dirt was it;)

13. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 10:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have captured hatched eggs. When inspecting look for what appears as little white dust, and look under furniture.
    I found some attached under a leg of a dresser. Use blue painters tape to stick them with and once they are taped you need a
    10x photographers loupe($20.00), a flashlight and a steady hand to see what they actually are. Most of the time it will be dust but when you finally do capture eggs and loupe them and only when you loupe them you can then tell without a doubt. Hatched are white semi transparent sort of looks like the material used in a condom and I am told that if a bug is inside the eggs then they take on a faint yellow appearance.

Hope this helps.

See Lou's photographs in sidebar.

14. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 10:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lt. and Willow. Out of curiosity, what are your floors made of- carpet or wood? And Lt., you saw the eggs with the naked eye? My carpet is a cream color, so it's going to be a b*tch.

-Blow

15. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 11:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Wood floor light wood color. Area rugs but I use a carpet attachment. Wood has some cracks where plank meets plank.
    I speculate that although eggs can be laid anywhere I think they like wood or cardboard that is hidden like under things.
    Again as stated above they look like tiny specks of light colored or white dust when viewed with the naked eye. It is not untill you loupe them with a 10x magnification ( not 8x ) you will then actually will see them as clear as day.

16. nightshirt

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 12:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

i too saw an egg attached to the inside of my bed drawer. only saw one once. they saw b/c they are sticky youwould need a steel bruch to dislodge them from a surface.

17. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 12:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Use blue painters tape from Home Depot. Curl it and then stick it around like you are blotting up a spill with a sponge and see what you come up with. Then take the loupe and flashlight to the tape, the eggs will adhere to the tape.

18. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 13:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lt. I'll try that.

19. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 13:41:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Well what I saw looked a bit different: The eggs are easily seen if they are laid on black or dark colored cloth items. (like my futon) maybe it is my memory or the fact that they were just there with the bugs made it easier to see--but against black they are slightly bluish--the hatched ones are and chalky. in other words when I used the crevice tool I had to put some pressure on the futon and go over it a few times to get them off of it. I also saw a bunch on the ground as if laid haphazardly this was on white vinyl--is it possible somebody just came in and threw them on the floor? That’s what it looked like! Maybe the stuff the females use to adhere them does not work on vinyl? So I saw 20 or so in all ... maybe even 30. I was so freaked out I was not counting or observing ... the mind does play tricks ... I seem to recall them as being bigger like 1/2 the size of a grain of white rice.

(i'm not talking about the three I found elsewhere anymore because I don't think its really that funny, and I doubt people even believe me.)

20. need-help

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 16:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to get white sheets for the bed so that I could keep a watch out for any smears...but then I guess it would be harder to spot any eggs....what do you think about it?

21. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 15 2007 18:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Need-Help,
    I used to have black sheets when I couldn't take seeing blood on the sheets any more. I never saw any eggs on them. I now have white sheets in my new place to see if I have any bug action here. You can always use other methods above to see if there are eggs.

-Blow

22. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 1:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It is doubtful they'd lay the eggs on the sheet--maybe on the corners of the sheets. Better to check the seams and the tufts ... crack in the wall--little cracks behind switch plates and inside cardboard.
    In fact they love cardboard so much--I'm half tempted to tell people I THINK THEY ... SHOULD ... start laying down a piece of corrugated cardboard and dispose of it every morning. I'm only half joking here. It could be a plan of sorts--they LOVE the stuff! And I've used it in some of my heat trap concoctions.
    Think about it--wouldn't you rather throw a way a few pieces of cardboard every morning with the hope that some of the eggs can actually be disposed of!
    I can't swear it works ... Just a sort of educated guess.

What do others think about that?
    i'm actually going to start doing it--as a preventative measure--could even be that you'd be tossing out some live bugs too! Resposibly of course in double sealed pastic

23. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 16 2007 10:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow
    Hopefully when the pheromone traps hit the market, we will have an effective trap for bed bugs. You mentioned that you tried some heat trap devices. Did you have any success with the traps?

By the way, I think your egg find account is credible. The bugs love a confined space with fiber surfaces.

Doug Summers MS

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,184 posts in 29,410 topics over 90 months by 12,684 of 19,943 members. Latest: andersoncruz, glinsar, WhoCares2014