egg sacs?

(7 posts)
  1. terrified_newbite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 6 2012 22:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Our PCO recently told us the neighboring apartment has more egg sacs than he has ever seen in his entire career. He made it sound like an egg sac was a group of eggs, yet I can't find anything about what this might look like? Is that just the term for one egg? I am so tired of all this

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 6 2012 22:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbug eggs are laid one at a time but may be laid close to each other in a cluster or patch but never in what could technically or correctly called an egg sack.

I assume it may be a sign of the level of their experience rather than the actual state of the infestation. I am often told by someone that the previous professional said it was the worst they have seen when it's more accurate to say it was mild to medium.

I would not overly worry about what is clearly an inaccurate and technically incorrect opinion.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. terrified_newbite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 6 2012 23:12:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Our neighbor is a hoarder and in 2.5 months he has only been treated once. He usually won't let in the PCO. We are pretty sure he brought the bedbugs with him when he moved in in July. The last treatment we had 4 PCO's over and that is when they finally disclosed how bad our neighbor is. They are working on evicting him, but he now has a case worker of some kind because he is obviously not mentally well. The landlord is finally moving us to a different part of the building We are bringing the bedbugs with us to continue our treatments without being reinfested by the nasty neighbor. As we bring our stuff in we are trying to bring as few "friends" with as possible, so were hoping not to bring egg sacs... whatever those are. Any advice would be helpful!

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 6 2012 23:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

You're sure your PCO wasn't referring to cockroach eggs? Those are deposited 30-40 at a time in egg cases called oothecae, singular ootheca.

5. terrified_newbite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 6 2012 23:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sure. We asked if he had cockroaches because our kitchen wall is his living room wall.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 7 2012 15:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, at least with certain cockroaches (German, I believe), there can be a high number (40) of eggs/ootheca. American cockroach females probably deposit ootheca with at most 1/2 that number contained within. Egg sac isn't a good term to use with bed bugs. There is no sac, just single eggs that, of course, can be deposited next to and on top of each another by single females or multiple females.

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 8 2012 19:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, at least with certain cockroaches (German, I believe), there can be a high number (40) of eggs/ootheca.

Blattella germanica: 37 eggs/ootheca, generally 28 are fertilized - from 4 to 8 oothecas
    Blatta orientalis: 16-20 eggs/ootheca, generally 15 are fertilized - from 5 to 10 oothecas
    Periplaneta americana: 6-28 eggs/ootheca, generally no more than 13 are fertilized - from 10 to 15 oothecas
    Supella longipalpa: 14-18 eggs/ootheca, generally 12 are fertilized - from 6 to 15 oothecas

(Suss - 1990)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,095 posts in 28,289 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter