Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Is sleeping with pesticides OK?

(3 posts)
  1. Paul Maloney

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 13 2013 12:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Entomologist Laurel was interviewed last night on CKNW Sunday Night Sex Show http://www.cknw.com/shows/cknw-sunday-night-sex-show.aspx. Posted 5/12/2013 9:14:00 PM

Nurse Maureen McGrath talks about:

NRDC Report:
    More than 10,000 Pesticides Approved by Flawed EPA Process
    Large Loophole Lets Toxic Pesticides onto the Market without Rigorous Review
    http://www.nrdc.org/media/2013/130327.asp

Is sleeping with pesticides OK?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 13 2013 13:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,

People who represent products or service companies are welcome to participate in our forums but not to promote their products or services in forum threads. See Forum Rules here.

I mention this because your thread's original title "Ecological technologies, Self-Sterilizing Beds" has zero to do with the content of your post, which mention neither. That makes it seem like you're trying to promote your company, GoodKnight. I changed the title.

I also think your post is misleading because, as far as I know, most pesticides aren't approved for spraying on mattresses, and so most people who have appropriate chemical treatment of their homes aren't really "sleeping with pesticides."

I did follow the link to the broadcast on CKNW, which featured a GoodKnight representative speaking to a nurse who hosts a "sexpert" radio show. It featured some information which may be misleading. For example, bed bugs don't just infest beds, but rooms and even other furniture items like chairs and sofas.

So suggesting to potential customers that a self-treating bed will be sufficient to deal with bed bugs, because bed bugs will be attracted to the bed, as your colleague seems to imply, is misleading. You can't expect all the bed bugs in a home to move to the bed.

Heat treatment (structural or steam or whatever) can work for people who are concerned about pesticides. However, while your product may kill bed bugs in a bed (and I stress we haven't yet seen any test data proving this), it won't eliminate them from homes. So pesticides or heat treatment of the home will still be necessary in many if not most cases.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 13 2013 14:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG at the 25:00 mark I was overwhelmed with a feeling similar to Dr Brindle in the movie as the speaker declared that insect neural pathways were very similar to humans.

Thanks for the chuckles.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234