Dryer testing theory confirmed.

(19 posts)
  1. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 23:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Just did my own dryer tests that I described before. Stopped a load of clothes, opened the door, jammed an instant read thermometer deep into the clothes, shut the door, and gave it 2 minutes.

This was halfway through the cycle BTW.

158F so that dryer is a confirmed BB death chamber.

At the end of the cycle nearly 170F

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/spideyjg/BBs/dryer002.jpg

Unloaded, across the lot, and up the stairs the temp was still near 130F

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/spideyjg/BBs/dryer002.jpg

These clothes would be baggable and considered BB free.

Jim

2. wigginonbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 0:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Right on! Half the time the dryers at this stupid place don't even get hot enough to dry your clothes- let alone kill BB's!! Argh!!

3. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 1:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

you know, I have taken clothes out of sealed ziplocs DAYS later and could swear that they were still warm. I put them directly from the dryer into the bags and seal them. I don't know if that is possible though. But I could swear clothes I put on from inside the bags are still warm sometimes.

4. Charles Dudley Jr

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 14:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

here is one guy in my building that has had the vast majority of his clothing sealed up in bags since this last March. He only leaves out just what he thinks he will need as clothing for a week.

Bed bugs really screw up peoples lives.

5. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 17:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

What a timely post, as I am currently waiting for my bedding to come out of the dryer.

Mylife, I have found the same thing : if I ziploc my clothes immediately from the dryer, they retain the heat.

Oooo, I hope there are a bunch of BBs being SCORCHED to death right now in our laundry room. DIE you BBs, DIE!!

(As you can probably tell, I've had a very bad visit from the PCO today and feeling very malevalent today ...*sigh*)

6. sereneseek

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 0:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried a thermometer yet, but our dryer literally scorched my new duvet cover.

7. BugsInTO

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 8:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Sereneseek - Be careful not to overload the dryer. Maybe take the duvet to a laundromat for an extra large dryer.

We scorched a handmade family quilt by accident. My husband had overloaded the dryer so that the contents couldn't tumble properly, so one part of the quilt was forced up against the hot air source. The dryer alarm tripped and fortunately we didn't have a fire. But, very sad about the quilt.

8. rgrobste

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 14:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

awesome insight. quick question: will this dryer method work with things like carpets, stuffed animals, pillows etc? is it necessary to wash first, or will the blast of heat do the trick?

9. aussiebug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2008 22:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I just discovered we have a special rack that came with our dryer it sits still inside while the drum rotates, it's for putting shoes in so guess what everything that can go on this and be will be getting zapped at high heat.

10. gottagetemout

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2008 15:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Being that I just recently purchased Dryel and gallons of detergent and bleach to prepare for an exciting weekend laundering, do you think that laundrymat dryers get up to the same temperatures as personal, home washing/drying machines?

11. Overwhelmed

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2008 16:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

gottagetemout - 59 minutes ago  » 
    Being that I just recently purchased Dryel and gallons of detergent and bleach to prepare for an exciting weekend laundering, do you think that laundrymat dryers get up to the same temperatures as personal, home washing/drying machines?

The dryers in my building (which are the same as laundromat dryers) get up to more than sufficient temperatures. I think a lot of dryers got a lot hotter than is strictly necessary. If you're worried you can always pause the dryer mid-cycle, stick a thermometer in there for a couple minutes, and then check the temperature before restarting the cycle.

12. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2008 17:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

gottagetemout - 1 hour ago  » 

You will have to measure to be sure on any dryer. Some may pass, some may fail in any laundromat.

Jim

13. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2008 19:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

the dryers at my local laundromat get phenomenally hot. I have some pants with metal on them and i burned my had getting them out of the dryer.

14. gottagetemout

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2008 22:10:36
    #

Login to Send PM

So I took your advice and bought a thermometer. The heat at the local laundrymat measured the heat measured 130 degrees. I hope this is sufficient (I heard that the bbs can't survive heat past 113 degrees). I also used Dryel and found that the temperature inside the bag doesn't get quite as hot (only about 120 degrees) as just drying clothes alone. Round two tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

15. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 5 2009 1:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops second pic up top was wrong. Here it the correct one....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/spideyjg/BBs/dryer008.jpg

Thermometers had been removed and cooling in my pocket during transport. This was a re- measurement.

Jim

16. eatenalivenh

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jan 5 2009 1:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank You! I will need to get a thermometer to be 100% sure but I think that my dryer should get hot enough. I will bring the big items to the laundromat so that there is pelnty of room but if I do not overload I think I can do most of this at home. That you in advance for saving me a ton of $!!

17. kpabarue

account closed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2009 19:38:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Joy of joys! I purchased an insta-read thermometer this afternoon just for clarity of mind. I've been washing/drying clothes intensely for 2 months now, but I wanted to make sure it was actually doing something. This evening I took my sheets and blankets over to the laundromat. And, after half an hour, stuck it into the load (to be fair, it was a light load, and the cloth was very thin). After waiting 3 minutes, it read 150 degrees! Hooray! I also stuck it in the bag I carried the sheets home in, and, despite the FREEZING weather in NY, when I got home, it read 140 degrees! I think I'm in love with this thermometer. I'm going to try it on heavier items tomorrow.

18. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2009 23:54:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Isn't it reassuring to know that the temps are lethal?

Jim

19. buggedoutinNJ

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Sep 2 2009 1:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

gottagetemout - 8 months ago  » 
    So I took your advice and bought a thermometer. The heat at the local laundrymat measured the heat measured 130 degrees. I hope this is sufficient (I heard that the bbs can't survive heat past 113 degrees). I also used Dryel and found that the temperature inside the bag doesn't get quite as hot (only about 120 degrees) as just drying clothes alone. Round two tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Thought I'd bring this topic back up since the b/f purchased some Dryel for home dry cleaning. The idea was t save us some money on dry cleanable garments. Apparently, the question I had about whether or not it works was answered right on the package:

From Caution Statements:
    "DRYEL will not remove dust, dirt or lint. It will not kill moths, dust mites, carpet beetles, eggs or larvae."

If it's not effective in killing a mere dust mite, I'm thinking that there is no way it can kill bedbugs. It also specifically states that it will not kill eggs (not sure what kind they refer to, but still).

So this warning is enough to convince me not to trust home dry cleaning with Dryel or any product like it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,730 posts in 50,024 topics over 155 months by 21,873 of 22,356 members. Latest: citycpap, AnxiousAngela1989, weluckyfew201