Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Dryer protocol

(7 posts)
  1. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 8:42:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure if I am looking at the right FAQ for drying bone dry clothes on dryer. But I am reading what I think is different data. Overall it seems like if I dont stuff a dryer with bone dry clothes but have it half full, than 30 minutes is enough to kill all 3 statges (Adult, nymphs and especially eggs).

Is my understanding correct.

Can someone please share the chart that shows at what temperature how many minutes does it take to kill each stage?

My main concern is about eggs which as per the virginia department study eggs require more hear for larger periods.

"Bed bugs exposed to 113°F will die if they receive constant exposure to that temperature for 90 minutes or more. However, they will die within 20 minutes if exposed to 118°F. Interestingly, bed bug eggs must be exposed to 118°F for 90 minutes to reach 100% mortality". I am wondering if 30 minutes of dryer heat is enough. I am concerned about drying clothes for more time than that and also concerned about some loads that I have already washed and stored.

Thanks

2. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 9:49:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally dried (already dry) blankets, pillows, and bed/couch things for an hour every few days on top of treatments to the bed frame/couch. I didn't worry much about my laundered clothes, I dried them as usual and then for an additional 30 minutes. Can't say it was 100% effective but I never had issues. It worked for me and after all of my bags were opened again I had no reinfestation.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. Canuck

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 9:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not order ThermaSpot Heat Sensor for bed bug heat treatment? Use it to test your dryer. They are from PackTite, and are available by clicking on the ad in the advertising banner on the right on this site.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  4. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 10:21:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Canuck - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Why not order ThermaSpot Heat Sensor for bed bug heat treatment? Use it to test your dryer. They are from PackTite, and are available by clicking on the ad in the advertising banner on the right on this site.

The Thermaspot heat sensor will tell me that the temperature reached 120 degrees at certain point of time. I have been able to veryify that using an instant read thermometer where the temperature on my clothes was 130 degrees even a few minutes after the dryer cycle was done. So I know the information that thermaspot will provide.

What I am trying to find is whether that temperature of 130+ for 30 minutes enought to kill the eggs. Thermaspot wont tell me that or will it?

5. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 10:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

This Article, i think answers my question. The main finding: Complete and immediate kill of adult bed bugs occurred when temperatures reached at least 118°F. For
    failed emergence of eggs, complete and immediate kill occurred at 122°F.

So it seems like once the temperature reaches 122 F even for a small amount of time the eggs are killed. So considering I measured a temperature of 130F + even a few minutes after the dryer cycle, I and all of us should be good.

Now all I am looking for is a confirmation from one of the experts here that my understanding is correct. Thank You

6. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 12:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

yikes_bugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    This Article, i think answers my question. The main finding: Complete and immediate kill of adult bed bugs occurred when temperatures reached at least 118°F. For
    failed emergence of eggs, complete and immediate kill occurred at 122°F.
    So it seems like once the temperature reaches 122 F even for a small amount of time the eggs are killed. So considering I measured a temperature of 130F + even a few minutes after the dryer cycle, I and all of us should be good.
    Now all I am looking for is a confirmation from one of the experts here that my understanding is correct. Thank You

What you're overlooking is the time needed for the heat to penetrate to the insect itself. This varies based on the material being treated, how tightly the dryer is packed, how much air flows through it and is discharged overboard, and probably other factors as well.

In other words, you're correct so far as exposure to 130 degrees F even for a short time being enough to kill the insect. But it takes a while for the temperature to get that high in every place insects (and especially eggs) may be. In a garment filled with down or some other insulating material, it could take quite some time to heat it up to an effective range, even if the air temperature is 130 F. In cotton boxer shorts, on the other hand, it would be almost immediate.

So in a nutshell, loosely-packed, thin clothes will take less time. More tightly-packed or thicker clothes will take longer.

Richard

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2016 19:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts here typically recommend 30 minutes in a hot dryer for already dry regular clothing. (The FAQs should not conflict with that.)

I'd go longer for already dry comforters, pillows, thick blankets, etc. (say an hour to be safe).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen