Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Double strength cleaning vinegar to kill bed bugs?

(13 posts)
  1. veryBadBedBugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 5:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

A family member began having them bugs in 2011. Earlier this year (around March) a professional company came into the suite and large machines in the rooms of the rented apartment to raise the temperature to at least 120 F for about 5 hours. When it was finished, we could not see any live bugs until around June.

In June, we used "bed bug" insecticides. But they always came back.

So I sealed the bottom walls where it meets the floor with clear -see-through Duck Tape. With clear tape, I could see if they come through the wall from behind. Some did, and got stuck to the tape.
    The tape is still there today.
    I also saw two bugs out in the hallway of the apartment which is behind the wall where the bed is!
    Taping helped for a while but the ones already in the apartment where the bed was, had babies and so it got worse again. We gave up using those "bed bug" insecticides because of the family member's health worsen by the smell of the chemicals.
    About a month ago, I found vinegar and tried to kill a bed bug with it. It didn't die right away. It appeared to be in pain for a minute and then recovered. I wondered if perhaps the stronger vinegar would kill them faster.
    So I came across vinegar called, "Allen's Double Strenght Cleaning Vinegar" which is %10 acidic. I put it in a spray bottle and I labled the bottle 'vinegar' and tried it. The tiny yellowish bugs (whatever they are) died in about 1 second. The larger bed bugs died in about 10 seconds. I saw one living at least 15 seconds which was the longest so far in the whole month that I've been using it, because others died in shorter periods. I also sprayed areas where they make black spots, areas where I think there was a nest etc. I staturated many areas completaly wet with vinegar.
    Now for the past two weeks, we could find only two bed bugs. And the family member tells me sleep hasn't been this good since betwen April and June.

I don't know if this is a complete success, because I suspect the family member has some on the clothes and inside the alarm clock. I sprayed the clock with vinegar and put it in a bucket to see if any will dare come out. And yes, I did unplug the radio before doing this (I don't care if it doesn't work after it dries because it was a cheap clock radio anyway).

Canada.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 8:00:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You need to stop and think about how the bedbugs get into the home and not better ways of dealing with them.

If you have adjoining neighbours check them for infestations. You may also want to search for "local source infestations" on this forum where a lot has already been written on this subject.

In short vinegar is not the answer you are looking for.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 8:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

And we're not trying to make the latest & greatest version of bed bug salad either.

Educate yourself about bed bugs.

Seek out the source(s).

Use proven effective products. (not oil, not vinegar, oooh it's like a fresh summer's eve and not any newly hatched retail "magic products")

Kill them where they're at.

Utilize suitable prevention methodologies.

Maintain your vigilance.

Speak up about bed bugs to raise awareness.

Have a nice day ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 8:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Now Paul you know Lou is the king of cooking with insects, are you trying to muscle in on his niche with your new range of condiments?

David

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 28 2012 8:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Condiments? I don't like using them much.

6. veryBadBedBugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 4:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Quote:"You need to stop and think about how the bedbugs get into the home and not better ways
    of dealing with them."

I think they got in through the cracks at the base of the walls where it meets the floor. So I taped the cracks with clear duck tape so they can't get in, and I can see they've tried to get in.

Quote: "Kill them where they're at."

I believe I've killed them where they were because I saw them and then spayed them and watched them die (not a pretty sight!).

As for if there are others in neigbouring apartments, the family member doesn't want to get kicked out of our rented apartment by complaining that them bugs have returned. The landlords were not too happy with the family member having them even if it wasn't the family member's fault. The landlord threatened to evict the family member unless the family member agree to allow the pest control people into the suite to heat up the apartment up to 120F for 5 hours. And they made the family member pay for it too.
    So there we were with bed bugs again - until I killed every bug I saw and sprayed many areas that look like nests with "Double Strenght Cleaning Vinegar".

Quote: "And we're not trying to make the latest & greatest version of bed bug salad either"

And that's why I mentioned "Double Strenght Cleaning Vinegar" in both the subject line and my post so that no one thinks I'm using the vinegar used for cooking. Or is it that's it's possible to use this for cooking?

In my own apartment where there are no bugs, I've also taped cracks. And I've replaced my bed sheets, bed blankets with those that are white in order to see everything. In the family members' bed, it was of a color that made it harder to see bugs. We've inserted our mattress in those bed bug covering (whatever they're called) that zip closed tightly. We did the same for the box spring. We bought new non-allergic pillow and put it in beg bug covering that zips closed.

I check everyday and for the past 6 days and see no bugs. Just dead one where I sprayed last week.

If I'm wrong about what I did then they'll eventually return. Until then...

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 11:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear vbbb,

Actually, this is kinda-sorta like project work. You're assigned to a task, in this case getting rid of bed bugs, and I don't much care, within reason, how YOU accomplich this as long as no one or their property gets hurt.

We don't want to see you on tonights tv news being interviewed on how you were getting rid of bed bugs in your apartment whilst a bollowing cloud of dark smoke continues to rise from what used to be the building in the background.

Now, what YOU do is fine for you however, where we an issue is advising the world, ok just this forum, that singel strength, double strength, triple strength or a zillion strength vinegar is going to kill their bed bugs and be the miracle cure nervanna that the world's bed bug victims have been seeking since bfore recorded history, yet you found it in vinegar.

As per your anectodotal information above you've applied yet another "contact killer". This is NOT the miracle cure for bed bug problems. We already have a long list of items that will result in the mortality of bed bugs when directly applied (i.e. contact killers).

Now, when your magic vinegar, or any other super duper bed bug product, can be:

> applied to a pourous potential bed bug harborage surface
    > allowed to dry leaving just a residual of the item applied
    > continue to kill bed bugs that are exposed to the dried residual treated surface
    > and do so in a similar manner and deliver the effective results as ddt, dursban, diazinon, bendiocarb and other such insecticide products did back in their "hey day"

Then, and only then, should you be shouting from the bed bug world mountain top that you have the next bed bug "silver bullet".

The simple truth is you don't and it's not.

What you have is an interesting story about killing bed bugs before your very eyes with vinegar, ok double strength vinegar but vinegar nonetheless.

We appreciate you enthusiasm and willingness to share your success story however, we have concerns that extend beyond the boudries of your apartment. What of the person(s) who reads this and mistakenly think that all they need do is apply vinegar to solve or prevent their bed bug problem?

Vinegar is a contact only killer. So is alcohol, so is certain dishwashing liquid. And, guess what, some of these other contact killers won't have your entire house smelling fresh as a summer's eve or as if we just walked into a huge d-bag either.

Additionally, as DC also pointed out above, there is more to resolving bed bug infestations than simply killing those that are there "right now". We also need to find the source of the infestation and continued exposure thereof such that we can attain a long term sustainable cure to our bed bug situation.

Note that you were correct in implementing the tape thing as this could serve to block bed bugs from emerging or traveling through from another infested location. In some situations where the LL is a dexter and won't adopt a building wide viable program the only thing a resident can do is protect his/her own home.

And, this brings up another issue you mentioned above; how the Ll deals with the residents during a bed bug situation or crisis. We need to realize that the bed bugs are now property of the LL. This is so because at times after a period of failed efforts to eliminate the bed bugs we have seen where the resiodents simply leave the building. Guess who's left with the bed bugs then; yup, the LL the bed bugs are now his.

If vinegar works well for you and you really like that smell and possible staining/discoloration that may result then, good for you.

However, I think it's fair to say that the bed bug situation and eventual resolution is larger than the contents of what may be found within your double strength vinegar bottle.

As for me, I'll take a salad with balsamic with my steak tonight thank you.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 12:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 3 days ago  » 
    Condiments? I don't like using them much.

LOL! Paul, you might want to sound that word out . . . I think it has a few more syllables than what you are thinking about????????

AbsolutelyFreaking a/k/a Abs . . . NOT an expert/professional:
    President of the Lou Sorkin Fan Club; President of the Paul Bello Fan Club;
    David Cain's #1 Fan; Devotee/Follower of Nobugsonme, KillerQueen and Winston O. Buggy; Admirer of NY Bug Man and his phrase "Knock 'em dead;"
    Enthusiast of both the use of ellipses and smiley faces in all my posts . . . and . . . BigDummy's unique wit
  9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 12:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant ketchup, mustard, mayo & stuff like that, yeah, that's what I meant.

pb

10. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 12:38:05
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL! My bad, my apologies then!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 17:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 5 hours ago  » 

Now, what YOU do is fine for you however, where we an issue is advising the world, ok just this forum, that single strength, double strength, triple strength or a zillion strength vinegar is going to kill their bed bugs and be the miracle cure nervanna that the world's bed bug victims have been seeking since bfore recorded history, yet you found it in vinegar.
    As per your anectodotal information above you've applied yet another "contact killer". This is NOT the miracle cure for bed bug problems. We already have a long list of items that will result in the mortality of bed bugs when directly applied (i.e. contact killers).

Yes.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 21:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, VBBB:

Notwithstanding all the caveats above, thanks for sharing your experience with vinegar, both "cooking" and "cleaning". As others noted, the cleaning vinegar (as well as alcohol and other cleaning products) will kill bed bugs that you spray directly. Despite their limits (like that they generally will not kill eggs and will not kill bugs that walk over the surface that you sprayed), contact killers have their uses.

Some of the "green", "designer" and often pricey bed bug products you'll find in stores (the ones with spices and essential oils) are contact killers. The "tells" are ingredients like "sodium lauryl (or laureth) sulfate" (detergent) or "acetic acid" (vinegar).

It's good to know that if you need a contact killer, you can find one that's cheap, that's most appropriate to your surface and environment and that cleaning vinegar will also do.

Spraying anything on electrical-mechanical things is likely not a great idea. Whatever you spray is limited in its efficacy (as noted above) and can damage the item or render it unsafe to use. There are other methods for inspecting and, if necessary, treating such items.

Thanks,

Ci

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 2 2012 3:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

And some cheap contact killers are smellier than others. And some are messier. And some are more flammable...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.