Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Double Sided Tape and/or Vaseline

(12 posts)
  1. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 22:28:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read in places that double sided tape can catch a bedbug. But I've also read in many places that it doesn't always work. If it doesn't work, why not?... how does the bedbug get past the double sided tape? Does he just have such delicate feet that it doesn't even stick to the tape?

Also, what about Vaseline? Is the Vaseline supposed to stop the bedbug from going further or is it to catch it (like the tape does) so I can have proof that there are or are not bedbugs? Is Vaseline more or less reliable than the tape?

I've used both on my bed legs. Just in case :).

Last question... when applying vaseline, any tips? Should it be a very thin layer? Or rather thick?

IF I have bedbugs (which I hope it's not), I would REALLY love to see a live bug as "evidence". I hate being in constant doubt. So if there are any other tips and advice you can give me to catch one, I'm all ears. Thanks!

~j.

2. nightsnack

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 3 2009 0:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used double sided tape and caught 3 suckers on the first night. Since then, nothing. It defies my logic how they can bite me night after night even as I was changing the linen and the blanket every night. Now I no longer use the tape because I get bites either way. I have also tried vasaline on the legs of my bed with no success. I must be not doing something right or I have 007 grade bed bugs.

Hope you have a better luck.

3. laorulez

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 3 2009 2:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it will catch them. How can they get through it? Well, they can climb up the wall and onto the ceiling and then fall onto you. Did you try making a barrier of double sided tape on the ceiling, a larger outline of your bed?

4. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 3 2009 13:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

My ceiling is one of those bumpy ones, I don't know the term for it. The sticky tape would definately not stick to my ceiling. I guess I could put tape all around the perimeter of my wall, the place my wall meets my ceiling.

5. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 3 2009 18:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Another question. Would it hinder the PCO's job if I go ahead and apply double sided tape?

I'm applying it on the bed legs as well as the place where the wall meets the ceiling, so that it can't jump down from the ceiling without getting caught in it.

This is not as much to stop the biting as it is to hopefully catch one as evidence.

Also, I have a roommate. She hasn't gotten a bite yet (or she isn't reacting) but she's in the very next room across the hall. She knows I've been battling this. Will the bedbugs know that the tape is bad and turn around and go after her? Or will it be tricked. I hope the latter.

Thanks again, in advance.

6. hkbugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 6 2009 13:16:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had success with vaseline-covered tape and double-sided carpet tape. The vaseline is messy and annoying, but I actually caught an adult who tried to walk across it. The double-sided carpet tape caught one dozen nymphs in one night and, combined with a PCO treatment, was a major reason in the reduction of bugs in my apartment. The fact that the nymphs couldn't get past the tape really says something. I lined the entire perimeter of my mattress with tape and the only hazard is that I sometimes stick myself to the tape and have to replace it periodically.

7. hatesbedbugs

Banned

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 6 2009 21:49:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Jimmy

You can rap the legs of the bed frame with wax paper and put vaseline at the top inside and out. This way when you remove it you can hold it up in the light and see what you caught. You might want to also, put some plastic 8 to 10 mil between mattress and box spring. Be careful not to have your blankets hanging down unto the bed frame if it is wood, and especially down to the floor. I would consider a sleeping bag. Their are a coupe of double back tapes, made by Henkel, available at Walmart. One is of a plastic cloth backing and the other is of a paper backing . The plastic offers a more sticky surface. If you are still getting bit you would need to further isolate your mattress with a quality bed bug resitant cover. If you are still getting bites you need to look at the bed frame especially the head post area that your pillow can rest up against.

8. dottie

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jan 6 2009 23:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

"Well, they can climb up the wall and onto the ceiling and then fall onto you."

I don't have any advice but the fact that they do this just amazes me. How do they know to do this??

By the way, I think the bumpy ceiling is called a popcorn ceiling. I have that throughout.

9. laorulez

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 7 2009 2:56:55
    #

Login to Send PM

JimmyChanga - 3 days ago  » 
    My ceiling is one of those bumpy ones, I don't know the term for it. The sticky tape would definately not stick to my ceiling. I guess I could put tape all around the perimeter of my wall, the place my wall meets my ceiling.

Even if you put the tape around the perimeter of your wall, they still might be able to find a way around this.

Consider that they can go into the next room or even on to a different floor (maybe the one above you) and somehow fit thru various cracks that you are not even aware of and come to get you...

10. hopelessinphx

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 19 2011 10:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

JimmyChanga - 2 years ago  » 

Your house sounds cool I would love to try all this experimental stuff but I would feel ridiculous going to sleep with tape and Vaseline all over my bed and walls hahah >.< Instead I'll try putting the tape and Vaseline all over me...

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 20 2011 10:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

hope,

This is a very old discussion.

Vaseline is a barrier which is not recommended. Here's why: if you put it on bed legs (as some suggest), you prevent bed bugs passing it. They turn around and go somewhere else, spreading further in your home, where they continue to bite. You still get bitten, but now the bed bugs are more dispersed and harder to treat.

People who are trying to keep bed bugs from climbing onto the bed to bite them can now use ClimbUps instead (I think these were not around when the posts above were written). You can read about these and other bed bug monitors here. The idea behind it is that if bed bugs attempt to climb onto (or off of) a bed with ClimbUps, they will be trapped, rather than simply redirected, and you will have evidence they are present.

Some people believe ClimbUps too may deter bed bugs and make them disperse in the manner just described, but even if this is true, IMO they're much preferable to vaseline for those who really want a barrier.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. dsantos

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 0:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All..Newbie here.

I have been reading so much info regarding Bedbugs since noticing them in my apt last week. Regarding the "vaseline barrier", it appears that the major activity is in my couch and I applied vaseline around the perimeter and legs to hinder any bugs to my bedroom. Is this not good?

I have an exterminator coming this weekend for first treatment. I live in small apt and hoping if they scatter to other areas in my living room it can be managed. I'm more concerned about my bedroom and my little Dog - I just want some comfort in my bedroom, although I found a bug on my bed pillow, lost my mind and killed it - none since then (about two weeks). Does anyone have advice on barrier methods until exterminator visit? Any advice is greatly appreciated

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,727 posts in 29,322 topics over 90 months by 12,644 of 19,897 members. Latest: sarahackler, waitingforbyebugs, TroublesBehind