Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Don't want to care that you have bedbugs anymore?

(17 posts)

Tags:

1. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 7 2017 17:41:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't want to care that you have bedbugs anymore? Get the flu.

I had the flu last weekend. Had to stay in bed for 4 nights and days. For the first time in many, many weeks, I had no care what-so-ever about bed bugs. I felt so miserable that any fears I had, any hesitations about sleeping in my bed all went out the window. I simply didn't care if I got bit. Didn't even look at my pillow, the bed or blankets. And it was wonderful. Soooo good to not care.

Funny thing is, they didn't bother me while I was sick. Not. One. Bite. Apparently, the bugs do not care for 'infected' blood. lol I knew I was better on the fifth day because I started "looking" again.

ps: we read about blood alcohol content and how bed bugs don't care for blood laced with too much alcohol. My son had a bottle of Maker's Mark whiskey and decided to put it to the test. He drank his way into a fog and went to bed. Next morning, no bites! However, he felt like total crap and decided it was NOT the best way to go. But kudos to him for the experiment!!

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 4:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a way to sleep... lay a sheet of 4mil plastic over your entire bed with it hanging down but not touching floors and walls. Then sleep on top of that. I also spray the edges with residual spray and dust under the plastic with cimexa. Maybe it's too much but I haven't been bitten in weeks and I can get some rest while I battle these monsters.

Account closed
  3. FayeState

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 4:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're living with other people, did the bugs go to them now that you're less available. Or, did the bugs go to another apartment if you're in an apartment building?

4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 5:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

If I lived with other people then we would all drape plastic over the beds. I live alone though. I live in a duplex but my bedroom isn't next to the adjacent wall, and if they "go" anywhere it would be through interceptor traps and a sea of cimexa powder. Bon voyage.

5. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 5:26:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm the bait, my lovely C02 and human smelliness, but I don't have to be dinner.

6. FayeState

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 6:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Then I guess that works in your situation.

7. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 8:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Eh, the flu is making its rounds in my workplace I'm just waiting for the ball to drop...

I can attest to drinking a lot and still getting bitten. Maybe the type of alcohol matters?

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 12:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Sub-tropical bed bugs prefer mescal.

What whispers the whisker?
  9. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 15:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Norestnosleepnopeace - 7 hours ago  » 
    I can attest to drinking a lot and still getting bitten. Maybe the type of alcohol matters?

Not so much the type of alcohol, rather the quantity of it. Your blood alcohol level has to be above the legal limit - far to high for me to be able to drink that much. I get too sick. But my son is over 300lbs and can handle drinking much more than I ever can and he seems to be immune to hangovers from a regular amount of drinking. So, in his experiment, he drank waaaay more than he normally would and it seemed to work. Unfortunately, it only worked the one time because he had to drink enough to actually get a hangover.

I would NOT recommend this experiment to others because as I said, my son is big and can handle more alcohol at one time than most people. It could be very dangerous to others who might try it.

10. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 15:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 11 hours ago  » 
    I found a way to sleep... lay a sheet of 4mil plastic over your entire bed with it hanging down but not touching floors and walls. Then sleep on top of that. I also spray the edges with residual spray and dust under the plastic with cimexa. Maybe it's too much but I haven't been bitten in weeks and I can get some rest while I battle these monsters.

Now that I'm over the flu and back to myself again, I spent a good deal of time cleaning in my bedroom yesterday. I got covers on my box springs and mattress as well as pillow covers, (all "bedbug proof" products). We found ZIP in my bedroom. Not one bug on anything where we expected to find them. We saw one on the ceiling after we were all done, but that was it and that one was sucked up and tossed in the trash right away.
    It started with my sofa, which was taken to our incinerator as soon as we discovered the bedbugs. Thought for sure I'd find an infestation under my bed but nothing. So, we vacuumed and put down a light coating of DE all along the bed frame and "bagged" the mattress and box springs. And I slept soooo well last night. It was heaven!

11. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 16:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I switched from DE to Cimexa after reading this study and watching some YouTube videos about Cimexa. It appears to have a much higher kill rate than DE and works much faster.

For the bug on the ceiling... eek! I watched some videos which showed that bed bugs can't climb smooth packing tape so you can line the top of your walls with packing tape to prevent them crawling on the ceiling and dropping onto your bed. And residual sprays can be sprayed on walls. But since you don't have interceptor traps on the legs of the bed to prevent them crawling up then I guess it doesn't really matter.

Glad you're feeling better!

The Cimexa study:
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

12. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 9 2017 17:34:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I switched from DE to Cimexa after reading a study which shows it to be more effective and works faster. I can't seem to link to the study here but you can Google "Cimexa study" and find it at PCTOnline.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 0:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 6 hours ago  » 
    I switched from DE to Cimexa after reading a study which shows it to be more effective and works faster. I can't seem to link to the study here but you can Google "Cimexa study" and find it at PCTOnline.

Hi poiqm,

It's covered in the FAQ on DE and Cimexa.

Please don't repost the same idea and link on multiple threads.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 0:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops, sorry. I was just trying to share info with different people so they can make informed choices, not trying to spam the forum. Promise! I don't want to be the type that comes here and takes info but doesn't contribute. I'll manage my enthusiasm better though.

15. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 14:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 21 hours ago  » 
    I switched from DE to Cimexa after reading this study and watching some YouTube videos about Cimexa. It appears to have a much higher kill rate than DE and works much faster.
    For the bug on the ceiling... eek! I watched some videos which showed that bed bugs can't climb smooth packing tape so you can line the top of your walls with packing tape to prevent them crawling on the ceiling and dropping onto your bed. And residual sprays can be sprayed on walls. But since you don't have interceptor traps on the legs of the bed to prevent them crawling up then I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Glad you're feeling better!
    The Cimexa study:
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/

I have the Cimexa in my shopping cart at Amazon, but have spent sooo much money so far that I'll have to wait a little bit before I can afford to spend more. To date, I have spent over $1000 on zip lock bags, boxes of larger clear plastic bags, plastic totes, fold up camping chairs and a cot to "replace" my sofa, chair & ottoman that I had to throw away, DE, a duster, renting UHaul trucks (twice) to haul throw-aways to the incinerator to be burned (1200lbs of household items), and the list goes on and on. So, Cimexa will be purchased as soon as I can.

THANK YOU for the idea about the smooth tape. I'll try that! We were going to try two-way tape, but I worry that it might take the paint off the wall when removed - and I am in an apartment so I don't want to do any damage if I can help it. So the smooth tape might be a better option!

I am also going to buy the interceptor traps as soon as I can as well. For now, I have put a ]very] light coating of DE around each bed leg. Not as good as the interceptor traps, but all I can do for now. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

ps: After all the cleaning and tossing out of things, I haven't seen any more bugs, other than the one on the ceiling day before yesterday. Can I start feeling hopeful now? No, I'll feel hopeful if two weeks goes by and no bites/visual sightings. But I am feeling more positive that we may have got a handle on this nightmare!

16. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 19:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I sympathize about the expense, I've put a lot of money into it as well. I still want to buy about $400 more of stuff but I'm flat broke again. I even bought two pet cots for the dog to isolate her from the floor because I was concerned that since I have isolated myself from bites that the hungry bugs would go for her. She had some welts on her nose so they might have but nothing since the cots were put up. (tape and traps on legs to prevent crawl up).

You can put painters tape on the wall and then the other tape over the top of that to keep the paint from peeling.

P.S. Once you get the Cimexa you will really start to feel at ease, for now read the study and watch some videos about it.

17. Norestnosleepnopeace

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 23:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Innocence Stolen, yes there are definitely healthier ways to go about it...

BigDummy - 1 day ago  » 
    Sub-tropical bed bugs prefer mescal.

Ha! So I'm guessing Missouri bedbugs prefer Busch or Busch Lite? Got it, will be sure to avoid partaking in those two things...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,803 posts in 42,647 topics over 128 months by 18,718 of 19,252 members. Latest: bbstressed, alvamiranda, plznobb