Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Dog Shampoo for People?

(4 posts)
  1. BuggyGirl

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 12:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

My mom told me she saw an exterminator on TV talking about BBs and he said you should wash your hair with dog shampoo that's used for fleas. But when I looked online, I saw a lot of stuff about how flea shampoos can cause terrible harm and death to cats and dogs.

Is this safe for humans? Has anyone tried it? Do you wash your hair before bed or do some kind of spray mist? I am dying to find something to REPEL bugs while I sleep!

THANKS!

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 13:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not use products for pets on yourself. It is very dangerous to do so.

Repelling bugs while you sleep isn't necessarily a good idea. Repelling bugs can spread the infestation and make it harder to get rid of. Search the fora for information on protecting the bed to give you some relief while you sleep because the not sleeping part sucks. However, getting a professional in to treat will help matters if you can get a good professional. In the meantime, protecting the bed may give you enough relief to get to that point.
    Hang in there because it will get better.

3. scaredsilly

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 17:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, I agree with Buggyinsocal. There are stories of people making themselves sick doing this to try to rid themselves of headlice. Most pet shampoos are made with pyrethrin or permethrin and bugs are becoming resistant to those chemicals anyway. I wouldn't risk it. I do sometimes use Skin so Soft lotion just to keep the bugs off my face (they can go bite hubby instead, hehehe.) Also tried lavender oil spray which didn't work so well. However, if you are the only one in the bed, you shouldn't repel bugs as Buggy said. They might start roaming around and spreading.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 22:42:22
    #

Login to Send PM

...also, remember, with fleas, you're trying to kill parasites that are living on the host (your pet). BB generally avoid living on the host (too dangerous). They like to hide nearby, feed and go back into hiding.

> Search the fora

Fora, you west coast elitist?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.