Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Does Riddex Plus Digital Pest Repeller work?

(30 posts)
  1. BrianNYC

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 10:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys, I live in the NYC area and had bedbugs close to four months now.

Has anyone tried first-hand using Riddex Digital Pest Repeller for bed bugs? If so, did it work?

I'm desperate about my situation and will try anything

Any help would be appreciated, thanks very much!

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 14:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BrianNYC,
    Pest repellers do not work for bed bugs and you do not want to repel a bed bug you want to kill them. They will repel into hiding spots that will be hard to reach. Research this site for protocol. What borough are you in?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 18:45:34
    #

Login to Send PM

NO! Please read the FAQS and get professional help. There is no easy solution, or we would not bother with this website.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 13:43:08
    #

Login to Send PM

It will absolutely NOT work and in fact will have virtually no effect on any insect
    to the point of being a control option. There use for rodents is very limited well.

5. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 17:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother suggested I use this product for BBs! I took one look at it and told her it was a bunch of hooey.

MF

6. BrianNYC

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2008 10:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I did get professional help and they come around every 2-3 weeks. Aside from the PCO, I do my own as well, maybe spent well over 200 bucks on chemicals (Sterifab, HPX, Gentrol, Bedlam, etc).

The place has definitely improved within the first month of treatment but now, the improvement remains stagnant. Not as bad as before but I'm still getting bites consistently.

I am desperate and will try anything. Eventhough the riddex thing may not work, I may still try it out. Thanks guys for the response, I really appreciate it. And I live in Brooklyn, btw.

7. fjtoth

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 16:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if Riddex will get rid of bed bugs, but I know from experience that it works amazingly on other insects. So, I'm a bit surprised at the negative comments on the product. A year ago my basement apartment was plagued with spiders and bugs that ran across the walls as well as the floor. Since plugging in one Riddex unit, they've all disappeared except for only one such intruder about every two or three months. I think the product is fantastic.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 17:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

fjtoth - 1 hour ago  » 
    I don't know if Riddex will get rid of bed bugs, but I know from experience that it works amazingly on other insects. So, I'm a bit surprised at the negative comments on the product. A year ago my basement apartment was plagued with spiders and bugs that ran across the walls as well as the floor. Since plugging in one Riddex unit, they've all disappeared except for only one such intruder about every two or three months. I think the product is fantastic.

And are you willing to swear that you have no connection with the people who make or sell this product?

It is always unusual when someone makes one single post on this website, and it's on a thread that has not been active for a whole year. I'm just sayin'...

9. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 18:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I work in Pest Management since 1991, and I'm still waiting to see a "repeller" that really works with insects.

10. fjtoth

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 21:27:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme:

I'm a person who believes I don't have to swear to anything if I'm telling the truth. I posted here simply to be helpful. My experience is very different from those who seem suspicious of Riddex. I don't work for the company, and to tell the truth, I was a bit doubtful before I bought the product. But here in Canada it's sold by several reputable companies like Canadian Tire, Walmart, Zellers, Rona and Home Depot. So I gave it a try, and I'm happy I did. It was disconcerting during the night to turn on the lights in a clean and dry basement room and see a huge spider dangling from the ceiling or to see bugs scatter across the floor. I suppose they got in from an opening somewhere. However, I don't have that problem anymore. All bugs are gone.

11. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 21:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I must confess I have also never seen such "repellers" be effective against bed bugs.

I did have a long conversation with the technical support of an on-line retailer of such devices. They were extremely careful not to suggests that they killed the insects, such claims have to be substantiated and that requires proof.

They would only commit to the fact that they caused them to go elsewhere. I asked them how many devices it would take for my 3 bedroom apartment in London and they suggested one per room plus one in the lounge. She reassured me that this should be enough to make sure they were all sent into the adjoining apartments.

I think I have the cut and paste of the conversation somewhere but to be honest I think its something you should all have a conversation with them over, I fear it is only through a volume of people asking them to think about what they are claiming will they stop and think. I currently get about 2 calls per month from someone with a new idea to deal with bed bugs some clearly based on no knowledge of biology or behaviour of bed bugs, I have even had a few suggest that they can fly.

I am looking forward to the day when regulation and concern over the bed bug situation is sufficient that any product that makes claims MUST lodge proof before doing so or risk the wrath of the powers that be. It would certainly make miracle cureal posts more amusing to moderate.

Would love for someone to explain the science behind these devices though.

David

12. fjtoth

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 21:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I happened upon this forum simply because I was curious. I know that it's very difficult to get rid of bed bugs, so in view of the success I've had with Riddex, I wondered what experience others might have had with it. I think it might be helpful if I mention that I have several cardboard boxes in the basement, and I was thinking that perhaps the spiders and bugs found lodging in them. But when I made an examination, I found only a few dead bugs with bodies turning to dust, so to speak. But that doesn't account for the so many others that used to crawl around or scurry at night when the light was turned on. So my opinion is that the bugs simply left the basement completely, escaping through the opening where they came in.

I sincerely wish all the best to each and all who are plagued with this super-pesky bed bug problem.

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 20 2009 21:52:01
    #

Login to Send PM

14. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 21 2009 14:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Does Riddex Plus Digital Pest Repeller work? LOL, NO!

15. meli

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 15 2009 1:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

well, *lol*, have any of the naysayers actually tried the riddex plugin device? i haven't but i do have the little vampires, and hit this site this time hoping there might be some informative posts about riddex.

i understand the concerns about repelling bedbugs and spreading the infestation. in our case the idea would be to repel them into an unbroken perimeter of d.e. and boric acid, which would hopefully eventually do them in.

my roommate has severe chemical allergy and asthma and can't consider pesticide. she doesn't want me to use d.e. because irritates the lungs and may be hard to expel from the lungs. it did seem to bother my lungs when i got some whiffs here and there, and i'm sure it's the last thing any of us need with h1n1 around, but we're compromising and using it carefully along with other methods.

if the riddex device does drive them away and there are no side effects for us, then she could have one in her room, where we're going real easy on the abrasive powders. we plan to try lots of lemongrass in there, for better or worse. rumor is they don't like the citronella in fresh lemongrass because it mimics their alarm chemical. it seems plausible to me because they bit my upper body only when i temporarily ran out of lemongrass deodorant, which i've happened to enjoy since before i had the little ankle biters.

as for repellent causing them to spread into walls and floors or through doors and windows, our current plan is to continually reduce their numbers through physical methods like vacuuming, cleaning with rubbing alcohol and bleach, hot washer and dryer, disinfecting or indefinitely containing books and clothing, covering our mattresses and abandoning the idea of cozy furniture forever...an ongoing process which unfortunately will probably repel some of them anyway.

has it occurred to anyone that maybe exterminators wouldn't want you to use riddex if it works?

16. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 15 2009 11:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a pest control professional or an entomologist.

I did have a bed bug infestation in 2008. My landlord hired a PCO (I split the cost) to treat my one bedroom apartment with thermal, and I was overall very pleased with the results.

Meli, have you contacted any pest controllers in your area? I ask because I see you've responded to two different posts about electronic devices that are alleged by the companies that make them to drive bugs out of a residence.

I also see from your profile that you live in NYC and that your roommate has asthma and chemical sensitivity.

I haven't been on the boards much, lately, so if I've missed a post in which you answer the questions I'm about to ask, I'll apologize in advance for having missed that information.

Have you contacted a PCO in the NYC are to inspect your residence and see what the state of the infestation is? Have you looked for a thermal provider in your area? Do you live in a multi-unit building?

I ask those questions because what I've gleaned from the posts of yours I've read is that you have a bed bug problem and a roommate who would have a hard time with standard chemical pesticide treatment.

However, given what you've said about your roommie's health issues, I wouldn't consider DE a compromise for his/her health.

Inhaled DE can cause silicosis, a health condition for which there is no treatment. I have a friend with asthma and chemical sensitivity, and DE is the very last thing I would get near her.

If I recall correctly, there is at least one PCO who is providing thermal treatment in the NYC area. Thermal can be highly effective, killing all the bugs in on go (if done correctly by a provider who knows what he or she is doing). If you live in a multi-unit building, you would need to make sure all adjacent apartments had been thoroughly inspected for bugs as thermal will kill the bugs in the unit that has been treated, but it won't keep them from migrating back from adjacent units if that's where the infestation came from. If you rent, you'll need to get the landlord in on this as thermal in multi-unit buildings poses special problems (esp. if your building has a sprinkler system.)

My experience with those electronic repellent devices is that they don't work with pests that are a lot easier to get rid of than bed bugs. If they did work, and you live in a multi-unit building, my guess is that you might temporarily drive them out of your place and into adjacent unit. However, repellents in general have a very bad track record with bed bugs, so my guess is that even if you got rid of them briefly, you'd be setting yourself up for a nasty rebound reinfestation when they came back from adjacent units.

I may not be able to talk you out of this plan of self-treatment, but perhaps I can convince any others who read this thread to take an approach that is more likely to work without causing bigger problems or spreading the problem to others.

Last, and perhaps most importantly, I would say two things in defense of the PCOs on these boards. None of the PCOs here get paid for their time here. Many of them are thousands of miles away from the bed bug sufferers they give advice to. Having been here for as long as I have, I tend to think I've had enough experience over time that I've got a pretty good handle on whether or not there's some super secret motivation they have for giving the advice out that they do. Since very few of them live in the same place as prospective clients, I don't see any profit-based motive of PCOs from Italy or the UK giving advice to people in the US, or a professional in the field from FL giving advice to someone in CA.

Certainly there are profit hungry jerks in every industry, but it's actually pretty easy to tell the snake oil salespeople from the PCOs who sincerely want to help get reliable information about beg bugs out to the general public apart. So when you ask whether anyone's thought of that, the answer is yes--plenty of us old timers and plenty of ethical PCOs have thought about it, and I'm pretty sure that the old timers around here (I can't speak for the PCOs and entomologists) would tell you that we have absolutely no profit motive in spreading the word that electronic repellents are not only not going to work but may make things worse.

As for your self-treatment plan, I hope you're wearing appropriate protecting gear if you're self-applying DE and that if that plan doesn't work (which it's likely not to), you remember to tell the PCOs you ultimately contact that you've applied DE so that they can take proper precautions to protect themselves.

17. meli

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 17 2009 16:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Responding to buggyinsocal and referring to my post above...like so many, I can't afford heating or freezing treatment, and my landlord doesn't give a damn. Pretty sure at best they would try to force me to accept something that would poison me and not the bugs.

Food grade, freshwater diatomaceous earth is supposed to be safer for the lungs than other grades, and the only one to even consider using indoors. It's frustrating how little clear science there is on the net. Regardless, common sense says a heavy, abrasive dust is not good for anyone to breathe, let alone asthmatics. So we're using it in no-traffic areas.

Even without my roommate's situation I wouldn't want to use pesticides. I'm pretty sure anything that would work on these amazing bugs would work on me. Companies say stuff is effective and safe, but read the fine print and the chemical sounds really bad, and they've been lying about health and environmental effects for years. And, friends who have had their apartments sprayed multiple times by the best in the business still have bed bugs!

So I'd like to be assured that I was containing and eliminating the problem, but I'd be surprised if that were possible even with pesticides in this dilapidated 60-unit slumlord building with so many "harborages." So we're doing our best to remove them on a frequent basis while containing them with physical methods.

I have almost no furniture. Even if I could afford it, there's very little affordable furniture available that doesn't offer bugs a place to hide. Wish I had more ideas for treating under stupid loose wooden floor tiles. Think I got a bite while writing this.

It's a screwed-up situation that seems to require many complete and permanent lifestyle changes. Anyway, Riddex probably doesn't work; but if anyone has had actual positive or negative experiences with Riddex and bed bugs, I'd like to hear them.

18. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 17 2009 22:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

USA Federal Trade Commission…

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/05/fyi0128.shtm
    For Your Information: May 3, 2001
    FTC Warns Manufacturers and Retailers of Ultrasonic Pest-control Devices
    Staff of the Federal Trade Commission's Division of Enforcement today announced that they have sent warning letters to more than 60 manufacturers and retailers of ultrasonic pest-control devices, stating that efficacy claims about those products must be supported by scientific evidence. FTC staff reviewed print and catalog advertisements and conducted a "surf" of Internet sites marketing such devices. They found that many of the advertisements make explicit claims about the products' ability to eliminate rodents or repel insects. According to staff, these types of claims may not be in compliance with the FTC Act, which prohibits false and deceptive advertising.

Between 1985 and 1997, the FTC brought law enforcement actions against six companies that allegedly made false and unsubstantiated claims about the effectiveness of ultrasonic devices in controlling rodent and insect infestations. Each of those cases was resolved by consent order. In those prior actions, the FTC challenged the following types of claims:

Eliminates rodent infestations;
    Repels insects;
    Serves as an effective alternative to conventional pest-control products;
    Increases or assists the effectiveness of other pest-control methods;
    Eliminates fleas on dogs or cats; and
    Scientific tests prove product effectiveness.
    Prior FTC complaints alleged that any reaction by rodents to ultrasound would be temporary at best because rodents become accustomed to ultrasound and will return to their nesting or feeding areas even in the presence of an ultrasonic device. Furthermore, previous FTC complaints alleged that ultrasound devices do not control insects.

The warning letters urged manufacturers and retailers of ultrasonic pest-control devices to examine their advertising and ensure they have competent and reliable scientific evidence to support claims that a product eliminates or repels certain pests. Staff advised the manufacturers and sellers that if they have misrepresented the benefits of their products, or if their claims are not properly substantiated, they may be subject to legal action. FTC staff will continue to monitor the advertising of ultrasonic pest-control devices to ensure that claims made to consumers are not false or deceptive.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the complaint form at http://www.ftc.gov. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Media Contact:
    Office of Public Affairs
    202-326-2180
    Staff Contact:
    Janice Frankle 
    Bureau of Consumer Protection 
    202-326-3022

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 1:34:31
    #

Login to Send PM

fjtoth - 8 months ago  » 
    Nobugsonme:
    I'm a person who believes I don't have to swear to anything if I'm telling the truth.

Yes, I missed this one when it went up.

I believe you're telling the truth -- that you believe this product got rid of bugs in your home.

However, you noted they were not bed bugs.

So it's kind of irrelevant here.

It's not enough for me even if someone comes on and claims this killed their bed bugs. People will come on here and say anything, especially if they are trying to sell it. I want to see independent entomological test data on such a product.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 1:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 1 day ago  » 
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/05/fyi0128.shtm
    For Your Information: May 3, 2001
    FTC Warns Manufacturers and Retailers of Ultrasonic Pest-control Devices
    Staff of the Federal Trade Commission's Division of Enforcement today announced that they have sent warning letters to more than 60 manufacturers and retailers of ultrasonic pest-control devices, stating that efficacy claims about those products must be supported by scientific evidence. FTC staff reviewed print and catalog advertisements and conducted a "surf" of Internet sites marketing such devices. They found that many of the advertisements make explicit claims about the products' ability to eliminate rodents or repel insects. According to staff, these types of claims may not be in compliance with the FTC Act, which prohibits false and deceptive advertising.

Thank you, Cilecto!

21. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 10:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

> Thank you, Cilecto!

My middle names are "Chapter" and "Verse".

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 14:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 3 hours ago  » 

My middle names are "Chapter" and "Verse".

Your parents named you well!

23. MyWorstFear

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 20:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned that joke about let's call him "Sam" who was constantly snapping his fingers.
    So "Joe" asks him, "Sam, why are you constantly snapping your fingers?"
    Sam :"to keep away the elephants"
    Joe say: "But Sam, there's no elephants here."
    Sam: "Exactly!"

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 20 2009 1:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Good one, MyWorstFear!

25. bittennyc

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 22:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually tried this unit in a testing environment with bed bugs and seen if it repels them. Or, has anyone even bought this and put in their home? My neighbors have them and I'd while the first thing I'd love to do is to get rid of them in their, I'd settle for just making sure they don't travel back into my apartment and if this thing works, I'll plug one into every open socket I have! And yes, I've caulked but they can always walk in under my front door!

26. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 23:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_the_riddex_electronic_pest_repeller_work

I'm cleaning out (like who isn't) and ran into a few of this type of thing I got a few years ago when I had a bad cockroach problem. (The big ones--most bizarre.) Anyway, when they came out--these sonic things-- I could only think of what a jerk I was.

27. boots

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 12:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, I found it interesting that black and decker now makes these devices for pests (as I consider them to be a more credible company).

I do wish there was some research on this topic directly studying the effects of such a device on bed bugs. I don't have the bugs but I travel a lot and live in New York so I am interested in keeping them away. I have a few of these devices around my bedroom hoping that all sorts of critters never find me.

However if this technology did work against bedbugs this is how I would use it:
    Upon arriving in my hotel (after doing my BBug checks) I would open my suitcase and plug in one of the larger versions of these devices (which would remain in my suitcase) to keep any BBugs from hopping aboard my luggage! Now there is a practical use!

28. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 12:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

If a repeller worked, that's how I'd consider using it, too.

And at 3 for $20 in the big box store (conveniently hung between the "Good Night" spray and the XXL bags, people say "what the heck?". Trouble is, if they don't work (and based on the FTC, they don't) if someone (a landlord, a hotelier, a tenant) uses these as their solution, a problem is getting worse. If this means someone hasn't resolved their problem the day they move to their next home, it means loss of goods, transmission to the new place, likely both. Why is a big name company selling these? Companies do things for complex reasons, maybe they need the cash. Maybe they did a big buyout and the bankers are breathing down their necks. Maybe they're licensing their name to someone else and aren't watching too carefully.

29. NJ-BITES

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 12:47:03
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 2 years ago  » 
    Buy me!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!

30. Saturn

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 15:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I happen to own one of these (it was a gift from my mother-in-law, so I kept my skepticism to myself). I'll just say that despite having it plugged in to our wall (we use it as a night-light), it has done absolutely nothing to prevent or repel multiple insect infestations, including fleas, roaches and yellowjackets (yes, inside our apartment!). I see no reason to think they would do anything against bed bugs either.
    My verdict: Completely useless.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,858 posts in 29,741 topics over 91 months by 12,859 of 20,150 members. Latest: DarthUnit, redfruit, JEPA