Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Does finding ONE bedbug necessarily mean i've got them?

(8 posts)
  1. trzasks00

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 14:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, sorry, I'm new here and i was hoping for some expert advice so that i can try and tease out if I'm overreacting, or what!

About 2-3 weeks ago i found ONE bedbug crawling up my bathroom wall at 11:30 PM. I put it in a jar, and the next morning it had died on it's own (possibly a hitchhiker from my clothes, or a dying bug from a neighboring apartment??). I took some pictures (it looked like it hadn't fed in a while - very flat and light brown) and showed it to the exterminator who confirmed that it was indeed a bedbug. The exterminator wants me to wash and bag up EVERYTHING I own, and then he's going to douse the place in pesticides (the landlord sent him over). I'd rather not do this because i have a tiny apartment and Cats that i can't expose to all of this. In the 2-3 weeks since then i threw out the duvet cover, thoroughly checked the bed, and moved it into the center of the room with some of those special anti bedbug covers for the wheels (both mattress and box spring are covered with bedbug covers and have been for over a year as a precaution), and set up a "bed-bug beacon" on the floor next to the bed. We tore the bedroom apart looking for ANY signs and found nothing. Neither me or my wife have experienced any bites that we know of, and the bed bug beacon trap has consistently turned up empty.

What i really want to know is...Is it possible that i don't have bedbugs?!?! I'm already set to move out in about 5 weeks, and If i were staying in the same apartment i could wait to see what happens, but i DESPERATELY don't want to take anything with me to my new apartment! I thought of calling for a bed bug dog, but it's $275 just to have them show up! My current thought is that i should be cautious, and pay for the rental truck fumigation. For $5-600 they tell me that i can put everything i own in the truck (with certain special packing instructions) and that i will come back 100% bedbug free. Does anyone think this is overkill, or a good preventative measure? I'd appreciate any advice - despite the fact that I've seen only ONE bug I'm waking up constantly with bedbug nightmares!!!!

SO MUCH THANKS in advance! Any advice appreciated!!

Sean

The thing is, I'm already set to move out in ~5 weeks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 15:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not assume it was just the one bed bug.

Treating stuff with Vikane in a truck is generally a good idea.

500-600 sounds cheap. Do they have a lot of experience with bed bugs? Do they offer a guarantee? These methods sometimes fail either due to the treatment itself being done wrong or the customer being re-exposed (in some cases by stuff which was not treated).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. trzasks00

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 15:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

It's from this place:
    http://bedbugfumigators.wordpress.com/services/rentaltruckfumigation/
    I saw a couple of positive reviews and the guy on t he phone sounded like he knew what he was talking about. According to him they've done big jobs like the Empire State Building, etc.

I have a relatively small apartment which i why i think i can fit everything in the 10 or 14 foot truck and get the $600 price.

Thanks for the advice

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 15:43:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi-- you should ask about a guarantee no matter who you use for this service.

5. judesf

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 3:14:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a similar problem, I was visiting a friend, a few hours after I got home, I found a few bites that looked like mosquito bites, a few hours later more bites..called my friend and she says they might be bedbugs..I take a shower, wash my clothes and dry on hot, put my purse in a plastic bag..but...after showing I see a red spot on the sink counter and it's moving pretty fast after squishing this tiny red spot, it smears red..i think it was a first stage nymph hitchhiker..do I need to call an exterminator..I really can't afford it..please advise

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 9:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

judesf - 6 hours ago  » 
    I have a similar problem, I was visiting a friend, a few hours after I got home, I found a few bites that looked like mosquito bites, a few hours later more bites..called my friend and she says they might be bedbugs..I take a shower, wash my clothes and dry on hot, put my purse in a plastic bag..but...after showing I see a red spot on the sink counter and it's moving pretty fast after squishing this tiny red spot, it smears red..i think it was a first stage nymph hitchhiker..do I need to call an exterminator..I really can't afford it..please advise

Judesf,

Did your friend confirm that s/he has bed bugs?

The bug you squished could have been a bed bug or something else. First instar nymph bodies swell and are red after a first feeding, but their legs and head are still tan, like the fourth and fifth photos in this gallery of bed bug images-- pay special attention to the size in the fifth photo.

If the friend has bed bugs,it is possible you were bitten at the friends' home-- you did not necessarily bring bed bugs home. I would treat the items and clothing you had there using methods in these FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your stuff.

Also read the first four FAQs here, and pay special attention to information about monitoring to detect bed bugs.

7. judesf

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 10:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately, yes my friend has a heavy infestation, but little knowledge. I spent 2 restless nights now and no new bites or sighting.. Forever grateful for your website...

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 10:59:57
    #

Login to Send PM

judesf - 55 seconds ago  » 
    Wow, thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately, yes my friend has a heavy infestation, but little knowledge. I spent 2 restless nights now and no new bites or sighting.. Forever grateful for your website...

Glad we could help.

Bed bug bites usually appear hours, days, or even a week or more after being bitten. Did you look at the photos of fed first instars?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.