Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Does Diatomaceous Earth ruin a Vacuum Cleaner?

(2 posts)
  1. Richard56

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 20:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Treated the edge of my wall-to-wall carpet along and under the baseboards. If I decide to vacuum the DE up will the vacuum cleaner be ruined, as I've read in several places? Any experience with this issue? I don't need my vacuum cleaner to work forever, but would like to know what to expect. If people here are vac`uuming up DE and their vacuum's still work OK, that would be reassuring.

2. scaredsilly

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 8 2010 21:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I am really glad you asked this question, it has been on my mind as well. I am new, so I don't have much experience, but I believe that if you are being very light handed with the DE it will be ok to vacuum. Probably if we are extreme with it and then vacuum large amounts on a daily or frequent schedule, it could burn out the cleaner. I have also read that the DE works better if it is applied lightly, so the bugs won't avoid it. Since it is mostly in the cracks near baseboard, and very lightly done under the bed, I am hoping that my cleaner will survive. I used my vacuum today and it seemed fine. Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,707 posts in 31,253 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear