does Diatomaceous Earth really work

(14 posts)
  1. Kwashington82

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 15:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

ii been reading up on it and i just want to kn ow if it really works my bestfriend had an issue with bed bugs and she used it and she hasnt seen any since(this was 2 years ago) i have a dog and i want to be safe with her around ive tried the chemical treament and after 3 months they came back(i cant afford heat treament and my building isnt going to pay for it) i clean and wash and clean and wash and they just keep coming i rarely have people in my apt accept fam and they dont have bed bug issues but i did slip and let a neighbor use my comp once that was monday and i saw a bed bug this morning(there are a few apt in my building that have bed bug issues) i am disabled and in a wheelchair and i am not working at the moment so right now i cant really afford to move i need to save up before i can do anything so is the bed bug powder D Earth worth getting?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 11 2012 17:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, KW and welcome to the forum. You sound overwhelmed and I hope we can help.

Diatomaceous earth (and similar silica dusts) are useful tools in the fight against bed bugs. They need to be used with appropriate cautions. For some, it will be all they need, for others, it will require a multi-pronged ("integrated") approach. If bed bugs are coming back, it may be that you are being continually re-exposed to them, be it via neighbors, visitors, or from the places you visit (such as a workplace). If you have neighbors with bad bed bug problems that are not being effectively treated, you will likely have bed bugs coming from there.

We have an excellent FAQ, but I'm going to highlight for you the one particularly about DE. http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

Also, here is a link to a great all-around guide to understanding bed bugs. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

Dealing with bed bugs can be bewildering, embarrassing and overwhelming (not to mention, itchy). Here's a place where you can get support and advice, or just vent.

Be sure to cut yourself some slack and treat yourself well.

Again, welcome.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. fmvanessa

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 12 2012 14:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Just speaking for myself here but I've been very happy with the results of DE. After the PCO came twice my landlord stopped paying him and he wouldn't come back again.... so all I have is the DE.

I put it everrrrrrywhere, and yes it's safe for dogs! Thankfully I have hardwood and got rid of all my carpets so if you have carpeting maybe someone else can comment.

2 weeks later I've found lots of dead bugs around now, I assumed from the DE. No bed bugs but it seems to kill all kinds so I hope it's doing its job with BB's too.

I got 2 pounds of the stuff, not sure how I'll ever use that much!

4. ladydemon73

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 0:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I am brand new to this. Found a bed bug crawling on the coverlet on my couch about 3 weeks ago. I quickly collected it and disposed of it in a Tupperware bowl in my outside garbage. No signs of anything since...until tonight! There I was, reading the news on my phone with the light off when I see something moving on my pillow. I turn on the light and it's a bed bug!! I killed it immediately and quickly searched the mattress, the space between the mattress and headboard and didn't see others. But I know they are there. Can DE be used ON the mattress while you sleep? Obviously under the sheets? I have dogs and I know I need food grade. But I really seriously need something to head this thing off before it gets worse! Needless to say I won't be going back to bed tonight.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 1 2013 5:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Simply put yes it works.

My morale compass would swing around and knock my flat on my backside if I were to sell something that does not work. I could certainly no longer take the moral high ground with so many of the scam artiste and "celebrity endorsers" if I sold something that was not capable of delivering on its promise.

Yes its a harder path to walk, I have missed out on a few holidays over the years because I wont be seen dead selling "lavender oil impregnated cinema seat covers". In fact a good test of the ethics of a company is to look for what products they no longer sell. Now if an obsolete line or service has not been replaced there is a good chance its for a might fine reason but shame on them for actually selling it in the first place.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 20:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

DE should be applied where it will not be disturbed, kicked up, puffed into the air, etc. Our DE FAQ (link earlier in the thread) can guide you.

7. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 20:47:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kw

Just to let you know that there are a few other folks out there that are disabled and in a wheelchair dealing with this issue on the forum.

I am one of them and I was able to get rid of my bugs so you can do it too.

It's harder to apply DE, but not as hard as flipping the mattress and putting encasement on your own, yet I did that too while in my wheelchair. The trick is to not put a thick coat but a very tiny layer so that the bugs will cross it and they will then die. It takes a while, but it does work.

Maybe you can get a friend to give you a hand laying that stuff down. If you cannot find anyone let me know and I'll explain how I did it.

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 3 2013 1:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

ladydemon73 - 2 days ago  » 
    No signs of anything since...until tonight! There I was, reading the news on my phone with the light off when I see something moving on my pillow. I turn on the light and it's a bed bug!! .... Can DE be used ON the mattress while you sleep? Obviously under the sheets?

Please don't put DE on your mattress.

It can be used safely and can work but applying it on the mattress may irritate your skin or may be inhaled, which is bad for your lungs. See our DE FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. swift2cruz

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 17:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

hey everyone, i recently (3 days ago) found bed bugs in my curtains. every exterminator that has came to inspect is baffled that they arent on my bed and cant find signs anywhere else in my house. i learned about this DE because i have young children (and cant afford an exterminator). i have been keeping them in the living room because i have saturated all the rooms with the stuff. but from reading previous comments i am learning maybe that isnt the best approach? so is it possible to vacuum the large amounts to the point where i only have small residue left? and also, i found websites saying to leave small piles around the feet of the bed frames and to apply to the mattress and vacuum off (and the directions for use said the same thing on the bag i bought). i also left small lines around the rooms where i have started cleaning it up. is this not the approach i should be taking? i am at a loss. as for all the other steps (washing, drying, steaming, etc.) i have already done these. DE is all i have left. and has anyone ever gotten rid of them using this stuff?

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 21:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

DE, used correctly, is useful. As I noted above, for some, it's all you need, for others, you need to do more.

BB in curtains can be due to an advanced infestation (ie, they're in the bed, but you/the PCO hasn't found them). Or, they've been dispersed from the bed by repellent treatment attempts. There are also a few bugs that look very much like BB, but prefer to feed on birds and bats, so they tend to harbor away from the bed.

Experts on this forum generally don't recommend over applying DE anywhere. Again, we have a good FAQ on this.

DE can be an inhalation hazard when disturbed. It can also ruin vacuum cleaners. To pick up excess DE, mop up with wet rags and or suck up with an industrial vacuum with a true HEPA filter.

11. swift2cruz

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Jan 28 2014 12:19:56
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 3 days ago  » 
    DE, used correctly, is useful. As I noted above, for some, it's all you need, for others, you need to do more.
    BB in curtains can be due to an advanced infestation (ie, they're in the bed, but you/the PCO hasn't found them). Or, they've been dispersed from the bed by repellent treatment attempts. There are also a few bugs that look very much like BB, but prefer to feed on birds and bats, so they tend to harbor away from the bed.
    Experts on this forum generally don't recommend over applying DE anywhere. Again, we have a good FAQ on this.
    DE can be an inhalation hazard when disturbed. It can also ruin vacuum cleaners. To pick up excess DE, mop up with wet rags and or suck up with an industrial vacuum with a true HEPA filter.

the PCO and I have been over all this. we checked all in the beds, walls, and my pictures that were hanging and there were no other signs of them. i did clean most the DE up and laying smaller amounts down and wrapped my beds and am in the process of painting. only signs are in one room (all though i am treating ALL rooms, clothes and furniture) and it has left 3 PCOs baffled. they cant explain why they were in my curtains but no where else. they also agree it is a very recent infestation and how lucky i am to have found them before they biting even began. i have an allergic reaction and it started just after i found them in my curtains. we have no clue where they started, all signs point to my curtains but i have had them since early october. and i do all my laundry at home. no new visitors, no new furniture since december, but the furniture is in a different rooms and is completely untouched. i notice them slowing down and there are already 80% less than i had 3 days ago. one more thing, i heard moth balls wont kill them but will repel them, so is it a good idea to place them in my closets (that are empty) and near my dinning rooms (where i have no furniture and am storing my clothes, its on the opposite side of the infestation) to keep them from hiding in those areas or infesting them?

12. mmcgrath

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 23:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

DX13 is an all new, safe and effective Health Canada approved (US EPA pending) proprietary DIATOMACEOUS EARTH in an aerosol spray can. It is being used in government housing, hotels, residential homes and clients are thrilled! No scent, easy to use. No need for a mask. Gloves are recommended but not necessary. For more information, please visit our website [linked from my username]

13. desperate broken

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 19 2014 12:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

My lungs are more important than these bugs but if I can't come across a mask by tonight - makeshift mask and lung damage here I come. posting my story soon. . . . Where can I purchase this dx13? Doesn't really say on mobile site and I dont have internet at home. Please help

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 21 2014 2:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

mmcgrath,
    Please review the forum rules. If you want to advertise a product, this is not the way. I will allow this post to remain because we have not heard, I think, of aerosol DE being available in the US yet.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.