Does Comet Kill Bedbugs?

(8 posts)
  1. die_die_die

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 12:58:58
    #

Login to Send PM

When I was little, my dad used to use Comet to kill ants under the sink... said it dried them out. I don't have BB, so I can't experiment. I read that bleach kills bedbugs, so I was wondering if Comet, which contains bleach, would kill them.
    Anyone ever tried (or feel like trying) this?

2. appage21

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 13:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

thats a good question. i would imagine it would kill them but i've never tried (luckily). let us know the results.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 14:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not want to sprinkle this product around my home in the places where it would come in contact with bed bugs.

You're much better off learning about other methods which can be used more safely (if you have some knowledge and skill and safety tools like a respirator mask) and may be as inexpensive.

Our FAQ on DE:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqde

Our FAQ on steam:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/pestcontrol/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

Comprehensive Guides to fighting bed bugs in the Resources page:
    http://bedbugger.com/links/#Comprehensive

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. die_die_die

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 16:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 
    I would not want to sprinkle this product around my home in the places where it would come in contact with bed bugs.
    You're much better off learning about other methods which can be used more safely (if you have some knowledge and skill and safety tools like a respirator mask) and may be as inexpensive.
    Our FAQ on DE:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqde
    Our FAQ on steam:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/pestcontrol/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/
    Comprehensive Guides to fighting bed bugs in the Resources page:
    http://bedbugger.com/links/#Comprehensive

If you don't have pets, and you don't inhale the stuff, I don't see why it would be dangerous. I use the poop out of comet for cleaning. Sinks, floors, even cleaning tires on my car. No adverse effects on my skin either.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 16:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a difference between using something as a cleaning product, and putting it down as a powder, which is what I thought you meant.

If you're looking for a cleaning product, there are others which are less noxious and still work as contact killers. Detergents and Murphy's Oil Soap for example. So this is more than you need. It contains bleach, yes? So if it is wet, you may damage your home or stuff.

If you mean to leave it down as a dust, I am not sure where you're thinking of putting it, or that this will even work as a dust.

I guess I am also not sure why you'd want to experiment with something like this. You don't want to get DE on your skin or inhale it, either, obviously. But DE is a mechanical killer known to kill bed bugs and can be used safely and is probably cheaper than Comet.

6. die_die_die

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 21 2011 19:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

You make some very good points, nobugsonme.
    I was thinking someone could just sprinkle the comet around the perimeter of the room and in cracks in baseboards and whatnot. Perhaps matress crevice applications would work as well, assuming sheets would be separating you from the powder. I'm not suggesting using it for cleaning in this case.
    The reason I'm suggesting it is:

1. DE is a slow killer. Perhaps Comet would work faster?
    2. Last I checked, a can of comet was 88 cents at walmart.

I'm not saying its a good idea, I just want someone who has bedbugs test it. That's all. Nobody should do anything they feel is unsafe, of course.

7. die_die_die

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 28 2011 19:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Will someone please sprinkle some comet on a bedbug? If there's a $1 solution in comet, I think people should know.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat May 28 2011 21:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

die_die_die - 1 week ago  » 
    You make some very good points, nobugsonme.
    I was thinking someone could just sprinkle the comet around the perimeter of the room and in cracks in baseboards and whatnot. Perhaps matress crevice applications would work as well, assuming sheets would be separating you from the powder. I'm not suggesting using it for cleaning in this case.

Okay, so you want people to put this stuff on a mattress, put a sheet over it, and lie on it. It's a powder and you may be inhaling it or having contact with your skin. Which does not seem like a good idea at all.

Even if it does not get through the mattress, it may become damp (from perspiration) and then you are basically sleeping on bleach paste. Again, not a good idea.

It may not concern you that some other reader will have sprinkled Comet all over their home potentially causing health problems for themselves (and, God forbid, children and pets who may come into contact with it), but it does concern me.

"Sprinkling" Comet on a bed bug will not tell us anything useful, unless you plan to find each bed bug and sprinkle Comet on it directly (in which case there are better contact killers we could suggest).

DE only works if bed bugs walk across it. Even if Comet kills bed bugs, how will you get them to walk over it?

Finally, I am not convinced that the economical argument is a good one. DE bought in bulk is cheap. Most people do not need a lot, but if you do, you can get it cheaper than comet. Unfortunately the small containers are overpriced. Still, you can get a lot of DE for $10.

Is saving literally a few dollars a reason to use something which is (a) unproven to work and (b) impractical from a safety standpoint? No.

Please do not encourage readers of the forums to implement ideas which are not proven to work and which may prove dangerous.
    I realize you're trying to find solutions and that is commendable, but this is not the way to do it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.