Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Does cold wheather affects the bed bugs??

(6 posts)
  1. DieBBS

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 9:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Piolina - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Well I don't know what to do, I have a son but he doesn't have any bites I think maybe his skin is not allergic. But me before they where biting me in my legs now they bite me in my face. I am trying to sleep with all the windows open and no heater just my blanket.

I don't think the cold is going to do anything. I was told that we would have to live in Siberia for the cold to affect these things...

2. BeeBee

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 11:41:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Here in Alaska it was 2 degrees last night. Today's high is forecasted to be around 15. By mid-winter, when daylight hits about five hours, it will likely not warm over 10 degrees for weeks, prime bed bug killing time. That's when I'll put some of our furniture outside for the long duration.

I realize, of course, that most parts of the country don't stay so consistently cold so probably the weather can't be utilized as easily.

That said, I've been self-treating like mad, and with good results. I spray baseboards and edges of bed frames every two weeks. After the spraying I usually get about about 5-7 bites over the course of two nights and then little else (chemicals stir the little critters up, eh?).

I have found that Spray-Away Good Night from Home Depot--same ingreds as Bedlam--is a superb weapon in the bed bug battle. I spray the edges of our throw rugs three times a week, the dog's bed twice a week and our computer chairs and bed frames (the parts closest to the mattress where I don't use chemicals) once a week.

This has made all the difference.

And, of course, I keep a thin splattering of dust along baseboards and around ALL pieces of furniture. The house looks ridiculous, but we aren't getting bit. DE hasn't harmed my cats or dogs either.

Another thing to remember: If you live in an apartment, don't forget to line your outside doorframe with DE--the critters could be coming in from the hallway from other units.

Cheers from the dark, and the cold

3. Piolina

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 11:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I going to home depot to buy more spray away, cause I panic ing, I am scare I broughten to work, or to my car!!!!

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 14:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Cold will slow down their metabolism and maybe reduce the activity but not do anything for eradication.

Unless like BeeBee you are in Alaska where it is crazy cold for weeks on end.

Jim

5. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 14:47:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed Bugs will slow down breeding in colder weather; the eggs also take longer to hatch.

However as others have pointed out unless you live in a climate where it gets cold enough to do serious damage to your water pipes it is not a viable method of control to just let the house get cold.

I would however say that panicking is NOT the right thing to do, you need to remain focused, read the FAQ's and get educated about the problem. Devise a solid strategy to fight the problem and stick with it. If professional assistance is an option for you get the most experienced help you can find and afford and follow their advice to the letter.

The good news is that no matter how bleak it may feel at the second this is a problem that can be dealt with.

Good luck.

David

6. Piolina

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 28 2008 15:13:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your advices, yes I getting to the point that I have to live with it. I 'll try my best.

Thanks

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.