Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

does carpet tape/double-sided tape work to catch bed bugs?

(26 posts)
  1. NeedAValidUserName

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 1:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Between this around my and the baby's bed and a bed bug beacon in an adjoining room I should catch something, right? After several treatments, I haven't seen a bug in several weeks but am still getting bitten. I did see some light black smears in the Beacon but haven't been able to confirm what they were.

2. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 13:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Depends on how the tape is put down,do you Have it on the legs? or on the matress ?

3. NeedAValidUserName

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 14:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have it on the wood floors around my air mattress (i change it every few days so it stays sticky) and around the legs of my baby's crib. it's also in a square on the floor around the baby's crib.

4. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 14:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I use it around my bed legs,on my computer chair and table legs,anything with legs i have carpet tape on,even my own legs..LOL...actually i some cheap rubber boots and put tape around them,i feel secure and comfortable knowing THEY CANNOT cross the tape,BTW...the effectiveness of the tape last a long time,i do a test with a piece of thin thread and if it sticks it still its still working,you can also use a stand of hair too test.If feels good to know i can throw my clothes on my isolated tables and chairs and not worry.THANK GOD FOR DOUBLE SIDE CARPET TAPE

5. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 14:28:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Almost forgot,i have the tape all around the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling,just around my bed area,they are know to crawl up walls ove and ceiling to drop on you,thet are very smart evil bugs.

6. NeedAValidUserName

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 14:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you caught anything on the tape?

7. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 14:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Strangest thing is i have not,but i think this is because im using thick pyrex glass bowls under my bed legs with mineral oil in them.I know they cant climb glass. ive dont tests,The tape is up higher just above the bowls to be super safe.Im thinking i should take away the bowls and just use the tape to see if i still have them.I know they get stuck in the tape cause i caught one and made a barrier around the bug and a soon as his leg touched the tape he was stuck.BTW...update,this is weird as im typing this,i see one crawling up the wall right next too me at my computer(havnt seen one in the last 2 weeks)),...he looks in rough shape as hes moving really slow.i put im in a glass to do some more experiments...this time im gonna see how long this guy will live with no food,ive done a lots of tests so far.BTW..i put down a fresh application of DE every week.

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 21:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug Slayer,

What is the particular brand and size (3/4 inch wide? 2 inches wide?), etc., of the double-sided carpet tape you're using. Since I'd like to buy some immediately and do certain experiments myself.

Also is there a brand name of the cheap rubber boots you're using so I could look them up on the internet, and what color are the particular ones you bought. Do you find them comfortable wearing indoors.

How long has the period been when you've been using carpet tape in so many places, and on the boots you wear. And what level of bites have you been receiving during that period.

What type of bed do you have – for instance is it a regular mattress with box spring and frame – and what color and texture are the sheets, blankets, and pillows. Is it convenient for you to do frequent thorough visual inspections looking for bugs – i.e. is that part of what you've been doing lately.

Also may I ask: are you in a single-family home or double- or multi-unit housing; are there other people you share your home with; and do you have children and/or pets.

And where have you been applying the DE you mention.

And are there any other anti-bb measures you've been doing as well.

NeedAValidUserName,

You say you have been getting bitten during the period when you have had double-sided carpet tape on the floor around your air mattress and the baby's crib. Do I understand correctly you have not observed (omigosh I hope) any bites on your baby. (Although of course that would not necessarily be indicative if your baby happens to be non-reactive even though you're reactive.)

I take it your air mattress is on the floor itself, not on any platform or whatever to lift it up. What color and texture are the sheets, blankets, and pillows you use. Is it convenient for you to do frequent thorough visual inspections in and around your air mattress looking for bugs.

Can you describe specifically what are the several treatments you have had and how many and their timing – were some of them during the several weeks period during which you've not seen a bug but have continued to get bitten.

Also may I ask: are you in a single-family home or double- or multi-unit housing; and do you have any pets.

Based on Bug Slayer's report, would you feel inclined to try the idea of placing double-sided carpet tape around legs of furniture in your home including chairs, table legs, anything with legs, and also perhaps even at the tops of the walls around the area of your air mattress and also the crib.

Also based on Bug Slayer's report, would you want to try the idea of buying the same or similar inexpensive rubber boots that she has and placing double-sided carpet tape around those and wearing them all the time indoors.

jrbtnyc

9. lurker

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 6 2011 22:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

this blogger caught bed bugs on inexpensive masking tape. See the photos:
    what he caught:
    http://softsolder.com/2010/11/19/bed-bugs-dying-on-planet-sticky/

his taping:
    http://softsolder.com/2010/11/18/bed-bugs-living-on-planet-sticky/

10. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 7 2011 21:30:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Getting sick of the wondering. Went to Home Depot after work and bought "Heavy Duty Rhino Grip" double-sided acrylic adhesive strip. Once my bedding is all clean from being washed and dried at high heat I will remake the bed and surround the mattress. I do not plan to do this all the time, but for a couple days at least just to see. Hopefully my finance doesn't let the blankets and sheets fall all over off the side of the bed.

11. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 3:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, this is one of the posts I was waiting for responses on that I just commented on last night!

I am here now, because a friend told me the bugs walked, albeit with ever so much care, right across their tape. This scares me, that means I am effed. I put tape around my mattress last night. I shut the lights off and slept with some peace of mind, thinking if anything WERE to cross the tape they'd surely get stuck. Now he goes and tells me the tape does nothing, cant' win!

Seems like everyone I know has bed bugs. Is there no escape?

12. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 4:07:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugs CANNOT cross sticky tape.

13. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 4:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, that makes me feel much better. It's pretty sticky. Although it doesn't feel that sticky to the though, I accidentally pushed the mattress too far over and it touched the foot board. Suffice to say, the mattress/tape got stuck and I had to then un peel the glue from the foot board and add another strip.

14. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 6:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Try this product...

http://www.tallmanscientific.com/Bed-Bug-Barrier-Tape.php

...which is reasonably priced (the shipping charge plus handling may add up to more than the tape itself) and is specifically intended for anti-bb use. Width of tape is 1-3/8 inches.

I acquired some and one particular 5th stage nymph was able to ascend vertically halfway across it while I watched but then couldn't get any further during a period of several minutes and finally had to extricate himself by going back downwards again. I.e. at least this one particular bug was not able to cross it on this one particular occasion. More testing needed.

15. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 7:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

The "stickiness" of the tape degrades over time as the volatile compounds in the adhesive dissipate.

We have to be careful when making generalizations about the effectiveness of tape to trap bed bugs... Different types & brands of tape vary in performance... Dust and debris that settle on tape barriers can render them ineffective...

I maintain clear packing tape around the top of the glass aquarium that we utilize to transfer bed bugs between vials... the tape needs to be replaced on a periodic basis to maintain the integrity of the barrier.

16. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 14:00:01
    #

Login to Send PM

DougSummersMS - 6 hours ago  » 
    ...the tape needs to be replaced on a periodic basis to maintain the integrity of the barrier.

Can you be specific about the particular sticky tape you use – is it a generic brand. Do you replace it every few days for example, or is it more like every three months. Would you say a realistic target rate of replacement is once every three months. Of course replacement rate will depend on how much dust and debris is in the local environment, but even if there's no dust and debris the adhesive would inherently dissipate to some degree as you point out, and become less sticky.

17. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 15:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I just put my tape down two nights ago. I intend to change it soon but have not seen anything stuck to it. It gives me a false feeling of security to have it around the bed and have been comfortable sleeping with the lights out the last couple nights. Plus I have not been waking up inspecting myself either, because I like to think if one DID come alone it would get stuck and never make it to me.

Probably so so wrong in thinking this as I can actually visualize a bug crossing over the tape and me saying to myself, no wonder there's nothing in it!

PLEASE people, share brands, widths, etc. The stuff I bought is really sticky but I fear it's only sticky when something is pressed against it as it feels less sticky just to the touch. Anything stickier/messier would be just that, much stickier and messier.

Problem #1 I've encountered thus far in the tape-barrier method, how do you check the tape that is at the head and foot of the mattress? I can't really get into there to see it as the gap between that and the bed is about 3-6 inches.

18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 15:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Wrote this on softsoldier post:

Carpet beetle larva is not a beetle at all, but a springtail, Collembola: looks like member of the family Entomobryidae.
    Spherical insect is actually a mite not a beetle, and looks like an oribatid mite.
    Dust mite not the house dust mite, Dermatophagoides species, but one that would occur in house dust or just in homes. Red insect with stylet and mystery bug are both mites. They probably are predaceous mites.

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 17:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Updated message for softsolder (sorry, not softsoldier as previously posted by me):

Actually the “red insect with stylet” may very well be an erythraeid mite. The “mystery bug”– a mite that could be member of family Bdellidae.

20. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 22:13:13
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc

Scotch brand 2' wide clear packing tape facing down changed out about every two to three months.

21. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 23:33:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Doug,
    If it isn't double-sided how does it have any sticky on the part facing up?

22. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 1:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The tape is attached to the upper edges of the tank facing down to capture any bed bugs that scale the silicone in the corners of the tank... Multiple layers form a ceiling on the chamber from the edges of the tank to an opening at the center.

23. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 10 2011 2:29:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Ohhh. This method wouldn't really be good though then on a mattress. I'm looking to catch any possible bugs that are attacking me in my sleep. Want to 1: see if there are any 2: know from what direction they are coming 3: stop them from getting to me.

I keep getting a lot of bites near my ears, like right at or within my hairline. I have a new on at the top of my ear in that little space where the ear meets the face. And I discovered a line of bites on my hip tonight. Two dots at the base about an inch apart and the two above those which create the straight line are actually very small pairs. Whatever is biting me bites constantly in two's. I hate the straight lines of twos.

24. BBF

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Dec 26 2012 1:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

This masking tape did not work for me. I ran a controlled experiment, where I made an L-shaped barrier with the horizontal side of "L" stuck to the floor. The subject adult bedbug has been struggling with the sticky side of the vertical side of "L" for about a minute but eventually managed to cross. So capturing on the sticky tape does not work. However, what works is the same "L" is Office Depot Shipping Tape -- the test subject was not able to climb up the glue-less side of the tape.

25. endless_nightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Dec 27 2012 5:05:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen with my own eyes bed bugs cross sticky tape

Mine was some double sticky carpet type sticky tape, I don't recall the brand, perhaps scotch, I have to admit it was a bit old and dusty, it does not take long to get that way, maybe I was using the wrong brand

To be 100% sure a PCO told me to use the glue traps by trapper max, make a perimeter with that and stick them down with sticky tape (lots of work I know) if you put the glue traps by themselves they'lll just walk under it, BBs are pretty thin when unfed

Anyway I'm about to re-tape a bunch of things, I still have faith in the tape I gotta get the right brand

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  26. arianacassie

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Dec 28 2012 13:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

my husband brought me home some carpet tape and i didnt catch anything for weeks. recently put my son back in his room , that was the original infestation room. Empty for over 3 months. Caught a few 1st instars the first night. 1 had bit him one had not eaten. Going back in there in a few minutes to check to see if i caught anything last night.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter