Does bleach -Clorox kill the eggs ?

(3 posts)
  1. BB

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2008 22:33:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Monday at channel 8 news -noon, bed bugs were mentioned: "they have made a comeback!! at hotels and university campus!" this is in bella San Diego, California.
    I've been told to stop soaking everything in clorox because it doesn't kill the eggs. Is this true?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 28 2008 12:52:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that suggests that bleach kills eggs.

Eggs can be killed by high heat (hence the suggestion to wash and dry fabric item in hot water and on high heat). Nobugsonme pointed out over here

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/does-alcohol-kill-eggs#post-29338

that there is some evidence that Bedlam kills some eggs, although it it not 100% effective.

The important thing to remember is that professionals know how best to apply pesticides, which is why self-treatment of a bed bug problem is a really bad idea.

A professional knows how much of those pesticides to use, and in what places in a home to apply them for maximum effect.

I understand the impulse to want to get rid of the bugs and make sure the house is clean. I'm particularly fond of bleach for cleaning, even though I know it's not the best choice for the environment.

But I would stop soaking everything in bleach just because you think it's going to kill the eggs. I don't think we have any proof that it will work. And you'll likely get much more relief from doing what a PCO tells you you should do to support his or her treatment.

3. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 1:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Damn - I just bought a huge bottle of Clorox and Mr. Clean - thinking tomorrow morning I would just douse my floors open the windows and leave for a few hours. Seriously - I thought Clorox and Mr. Clean would kill anything. Any opinions on Clorox welcome...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,122 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,345 members. Latest: sera143, falc, falc2
Site Meter