Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Do they glow green, under a UV light?

(14 posts)
  1. insecticidal

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 3:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got a hand-held fluorescent ultraviolet light (also known as a "black light"). The light seems dim purple, but most white things glow brightly. Certain organic compounds and insects (such as scorpions) exhibit green fluorescence. Does anyone know if bed bugs will glow green, under ultra violet light? If so, all life stages or just some?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 8:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

No bedbugs don't glow, I tried that one 5 years ago.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 8:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 10:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a flashlight with a UV LED option and while nothing BB related shows better, it does cast a unique view on things. For example rust is accentuated as are clear caulk lines.

Pretty scary inspecting a hotel room with it.

Jim

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 10:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Scorpions under UV are amazing...

6. insecticidal

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 14:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

Is this true for all life stages? Because I've found some egg-like things that glow green. I'm pretty sure they are eggs, actually... just not sure if they're BB or something else (I think I also have roaches).

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 14:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am pretty sure non of the life stages glow.

I have a UV lamp at home and will bring it to the office tomorrow to double check.

David

8. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 10:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Already tried it!

I have a black light (and lots of pet scorpions). I haven't found anything biological that glows like scorpion cuticle. Apparently even scorpion fossils glow. But bedbugs and their eggs unfortunately don't.

9. insecticidal

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 11:58:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I was sure someone must know.

Thank you for all your contributions, regarding Cimex L., in fact! I recognized your name from a particularly useful NYvsBB post. Good luck with your dissertation!

10. insecticidal

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 12:01:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't suppose you saw my post about car treatments? I hope I'm on to something!

11. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 12:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you insecticidal!

I just replied to your other post.

R

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 14:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding scorpions:
    they are arachnids and not insects.

Also on the UV side, there has been some mention regarding the use of UV A lighting to search for bed bugs. Anyone know more about it?

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  13. Richard_Naylor

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 15:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

My black light is an LED head torch. As I understand it, these only give out UVA. While you can see bedbug eggs with it, it is also very easy to see other white things like paper and bed sheets, so it doesn't give you any improved contrast. Also the dull white appearance of normally white things under UV doesn't come close to the bright green fluorescence of scorpion cuticle. I have also heard of people using it for bedbugs but I really can't see the benefit.

Regarding my earlier comment, I have actually come across another biological material that fluoresces in a similar way to scorpion cuticle - resilin. This is a rubbery material produced by lots of insects. Ones that jump, like fleas, do so by stretching a band of resilin over their knee joint, and then releasing it like a catapult. Since insects only produce a very small amount of it, you usually need a microscope (as well as a UV source) to see it. Totally irrelevant but I thought someone might be interested!

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 9 2010 17:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Resilin in the flea is derived from the flight musculature that is no longer used in that insect so there is more of it in use than in other insects? A very flexible protein.
    Yes, UV light in some flashlights that I have produce bright white fluorescence in various detergent containers due to ingredients such as phosphorus. Look in a dark washroom or laundry with a UV light and see all the spatter and spillage.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,152 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,347 members. Latest: falc2, jazzychazzy, MANthrax
Site Meter