Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Do they fear the light?

(8 posts)
  1. ImGoingCRAZY

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 3:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Im 23, i live in a broke down apartment building, which i only pay 100 a week for, after a few months of staying here, i started noticing that ive been getting bug bites, at first i thought it was mosquitoes, because i have no screen on my window, and im on the top floor with no A/C and its summer, im sure you can see the picture. Well, i went down to one of the building managers that live in, and i told them i was freaking out, i was getting bit by bugs and i dont know what the problem was, they told me that i had bedbugs.. i was like, you have to be kidding me!! i thought they ranked right up there with the boogeyman.. but nope they are real, and so i went up, i lifted my mattress up, and tore the sheets off, and sure enough, little rust colored demons were sitting there waiting to eat me at night.. I totally freaked out.. i bought some foggers, and nope they are still feeding on me... Well, apparently the whole building has problems with them, and they think its because of bats in the attic, well anyways, i kill them when i see them, if i am lucky i can get him right after he feeds on me, but im sure that most of the time once i feel the bite they are long gone in thier little safe crevice laughing and enjoying my pure blood.. haha.. anyways, i decided to leave the light on. I still get bit, dont get me wrong, nothing will stop these little demon infestations from getting what they want, foggers, (i have a can of lysol that i spray on lone rangers that i find which is fun), anyways, i noticed that if i slept with the light on, they dont bite AS much, are they scared of the light? or am i just a nuisance and they will get me anyways? thanks for your time in reading my story and responding.. i really am going crazy!

2. ImGoingCRAZY

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 3:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Also i want to add, Do you think that hiring a proffesional boogeybedbugmankiller would help? If everyone in the whole complex has them, wont they just leave my neighbor and come check out the funeral? and then just move in the vacant lot? i mean... WHATS UP WITH THESE THINGS!!!!! i am a good person, i dont deserve this kind of hell, NO ONE does.. argh im so freaking frustrated, i was gonna say you have no idea, but apparently after reading a couple of threads there are thousands upon thousands of people that have the problem and even MORE have it 209423908X's worse than i do, but i really want to know if a professional boogeybedbugmankiller would take care of my problem.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 7:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, IGC.

I'd say that you are in a challenging position, as it does not sound like the owners/managers of your building care enough to do something about the problem, one that in many cities, they are obligated to. It's called "warranty of habitability". But maybe that's what $100/month gets you. If your building is "totally" infested, I doubt that treating just one apartment will help much. The bugs are probably just migrating among and between the units. Experts caution against foggers, as they seem to repel the bugs deeper into hiding or to adjacent units.

BB seem to instinctively avoid "danger" (open spaces, lights), but if they need to eat, they will come out and do so. BB are being found in offices, libraries and stores because their food is there during the "day". So, keeping the lights on is not a solution.

Some things you can consider:
    - Relieveing your discomfort with OTC or Rx remedies.
    - Reducing the population by Vaccuming/picking up all the bugs you can find. Killing the ones you can't pick up with contact killers (like your Lysol or 91% alcohol in a spray bottle, caution, flammable, keep sealed when not in use).
    - Working with your owners to solve the problem, if they're able and willing
    - mobilizing government or social agencies (or creating your own) to advocate on your behalf
    - Stopgap measures, which are too numerous to get into here.
    - Moving out safely and effectively, without taking your infestation to your next place.
    There's a guide on our Resource page that you really should read, that would help you. Here's the link.
    http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/

The Resources page is a great source of guides that have helpful information. I recommend that you browse it. http://bedbugger.com/links/

Please hit us with your questions. You'll find wisdom, compassion and camaraderie here.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 7:22:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The building has to be evaluated as an entity. Treating your one apartment won't do much unless your treatment included sealing off your apartment from all the rest. You noticed rust colored insects, so you only noticed adult insects. Look carefully and you will see many more immature bed bugs, some pale and sort of transparent, some plump and full of your blood. Your landlord has to call in professional pest management. Leaving your light on only keeps the light on, but you will be able to more clearly see the bed bugs feeding on you. Bed bugs will still feed on you when they are hungry.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  5. bug-tired

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 13:42:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to confess I've slept with the light on the last two nights. Just like a little kid. I didn't really plan it that way.

I had my third treatment on Wed. and slept in my bed Wed. night for the first time in 6 weeks. Pre bed-bugs, I often fell asleep reading. I would usually wake up at some point later and turn off the light. The last couple nights, I just didn't bother to turn the light off.

After I was up a while this morning, I felt like maybe I had a bite - not sure if it's a new bite or an old one that flared up. But at least I woke up with the alarm, and not at 4 a.m. due to intense itching.

I know when my boyfriend and I tried to sleep in the bed after the first two treatments, no bugs showed up until five minutes after the lights went out.

I think they need to come after me in order to trek through the poison, so tonight I will try to turn the light off and see what happens. I think sleeping with the light on the first couple nights gave me the courage I needed to stay in the bed. So it may not help with the bugs in the long run but it did help with the anxiety.

6. ImGoingCRAZY

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 2:22:36
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the advice all, i also have resorted to sleeping in clothes, i wear socks, jeans and a sweatshirt, lately, i have not been getting bit as much.. i am getting bit a little when the sweatshift comes up and on my lower back, but you would think they would hide out and when i put the clothes on they jumpinside and wait for me. But it has actually been helping, im actually getting a little bit more sleep. But i have kept my light on for so long, because i fear that if i turn it out.. i will get attacked by the whole army, instead of the navy seals. i am starting to look for a new place, only thing im bringing with me are my clothes, my computer and thats it.. the matress is going to burn and good riddance, it will be nice to hopefully get a few that are still attached. I am sure i should make sure my clothes are nice and clean, but i dont understand how they would get on them anyways, because they are all hanging in the closet. arent BB just there in ur bed?

7. ImGoingCRAZY

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 7 2010 2:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

i pay 100 a week not a month, i pay 400 a month, and this place is hell, its full of convicts and the like, which i dont care, id rather put up with a bunch of noisy druggys instead of these little pests, and this place is very ghetto, i get handwritten reciepts, and such, but i was made an offer if they wanted me to come spray my room for bugs, and i declined because i knew it wouldnt help, they were going to do it themselves instead of a professional, and believe me, these ppl arent very smart, they will just make the bb's laugh and they will keep on truckin

8. ProvidenceBites

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 18 2010 23:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

ImGoingCRAZY - 1 week ago  » 
    i pay 100 a week not a month, i pay 400 a month, and this place is hell, its full of convicts and the like, which i dont care, id rather put up with a bunch of noisy druggys instead of these little pests, and this place is very ghetto, i get handwritten reciepts, and such, but i was made an offer if they wanted me to come spray my room for bugs, and i declined because i knew it wouldnt help, they were going to do it themselves instead of a professional, and believe me, these ppl arent very smart, they will just make the bb's laugh and they will keep on truckin

You sound like you live in my apartment house. You wouldn't happen to live in Providence, would you? Lol.

Actually, my landlord was very proactive with the bedbugs, and even came the same day with his implements of destruction. I need to notify my neighbors though, because I don't think he's told them or done anything about it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.