Do they ever go away?

(4 posts)
  1. my worst nightmare

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 0:44:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I had an exterminator come last Friday to do an initial treatment, and they'll be back in 2 weeks for a follow-up. However, I woke up on Sunday morning with more bites than ever on my legs! I know that this can happen if the initial treatment stirs up activity, but it's so discouraging and has made me worry that the problem will never go away. I've read so many horror stories of reinfestations. Can they ever go away? Really?

2. angie

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 7:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, they really go away! I am living proof. (knock on wood) My family lived with them for 9 months and had several treatments, lost most of our furniture and had to constantly clean. I truly thought that I would never get rid of these f'n bugs BUT I did. I am still rebuilding our household belongings and it really feels good to have beds for the girls and now, a couch to sit on. We have free of bugs since February of 2008 and it feels really great. Just keep your head up and a smile on your face. What helped my sanity, my family and friends. They mean the world to me and never once did my sister say she wouldn't come over. She was my sanity. I wish you good luck and letting you know that you WILL beat this, it just takes patience!!

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 8:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Read some of the success stories. Many of us that are still here won the war. All will agree it is a tough fight but in the end you can and will end up BB free.

Jim

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 9:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep. I had thermal, so my experience isn't typical of chemical treatment, but I'm commenting anyway for reasons I'll explain below.

I didn't realize bed bugs existed. I didn't watch national television news much since I get most of my news from NPR, so I hadn't heard about them when I got my infestation over a year ago. I'm pretty sure I was introduced to them in a hotel because I saw a bug that I thought was a tick in a bed at one hotel in March. I didn't see the bugs and ID them myself until June, and I didn't get a PCO in for another week or so.

So I had an infestation for months. They were visible during the day.

Despite that, I got rid of them with one thermal treatment.

Remember that on the boards, you have what social scientists and/or rhetoriticians would call a sample selection or hasty conclusion problem. That is to say, people who get the bugs, get a treatment or two, and solve their problem that quickly rarely stick around to post after their bugs are gone. People with landlords who hire bad "spray and pray" PCOs who don't treat effectively, people with really intensive infestations, people who are continually being reexposed because the adjacent apartments or workplaces that they work in are not being effectively treated are all more likely to post here often than people who are treated two or three times and get rid of the problem.

That's not a bad thing. Those are the people who need the most information.

But it can give bed bug sufferers the impression that the problem is more hopeless than it may be for many people.

I know it's hard. When you have a PCO come in, you're looking for immediate relief, and most treatment options don't offer that. But hang in there. It absolutely will get better no matter how much it doesn't feel like it right now.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,082 posts in 31,013 topics over 94 months by 13,442 of 20,848 members. Latest: midnightfeast, senses123, So Mad