Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Do spiders eat bedbugs?

(26 posts)
  1. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 20:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I still have bedbugs or not - but I've found several spiders and I killed a few of them but now I'm thinking of leaving them alone

actually I was going to name them - Charlotte?

After my bedbug ordeal it's amazing how other bugs that I used to be afraid of just don't bother me now. Today I found this little spider (about a 1/4 of an inch) in my kitchen and a year ago I would UNLOADED an entire can of Raid on this tiny little thing

But not now

So are spiders friend or foe?

2. pleasenotme

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 21:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think they are friends as long as they're not brown recluses. Centipedes eat bed bugs.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 22:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Spiders only eat other insects.

Back in 1929 a paper was published detailing a certain species of running crab spider, Thanatus, Flavidus Simon, was a voracious BB eater and other studies confirmed this.

My avatar is a US species of running crab spider.

Bottom line is spiders are friends but species about 1 cm such as the wolf, running crab, and jumper are best bets for BB predation. Wolves hunt at night and the smaller ones are the better bet. Large wolves probable would ignore tiny BBs.

Predators are not a control measure but certainly something to let be.

The yellow sac spider is a nocturnal roaming predator as well but are aggressive and can have a medically significant bite but are the right size and habits to be a BB predator.

Jim

4. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 22:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry Jim - I killed it already

the sight of any bug on my wall skeeved me out

BUT THANKS for responding - I've seen a number of spiders here

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2008 23:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You may want to consider letting them be. Watch this jumper take out a fly. The girls freaking in the background is funny.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

Or this vid of some folks faking out a hungry jumper. Jumpers are mainly daylight hunters but certainly if on the prowl and spotted a BB I can't imagine one not pouncing on it.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

6. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 0:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

oh yeah!!!

these video clips REALLY make me want to keep spiders in my apartment!!

cans of RAID - here I come......

7. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 0:36:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Pleasant... Fortunately I have not seen any centipedes in this apartment in the last 5 months. I read somewere that centipedes sting you if they are disturbed and if you see a lot of them - that may be a sign of a bedbug infestation becasue they do eat bedbugs

In my other apartment that was heavily infested I saw a lot of centipedes. Before I left there i was beginning to think that I was cultivating an entire insect eco-system

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 0:50:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Cockroaches, centipedes and spiders all apparently eat bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 0:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

They can eat anything they want - they're all dead!!!

i dont like anything that has more legs than I do (except dogs and cats)

pretty soon I'll have the entire insect kingdom here....

10. Marixpress

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 11:11:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't mind spiders. In fact, I kinda like them. Any critter that kills bugs is OK in my book. (geckos too )

11. bugbattler

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 11:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

awww, my poor jumping spiders. I let them live on my windowsill, but they had to STAY on the window. They started leaving and I started squishing, then I discovered the BBs. I bet my poor lil guys left the window to attack my enemies & I went and killed them for it, I'm such a jerk

12. Marixpress

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 11:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bugbattler - 19 seconds ago  » 
    awww, my poor jumping spiders. I let them live on my windowsill, but they had to STAY on the window. They started leaving and I started squishing, then I discovered the BBs. I bet my poor lil guys left the window to attack my enemies & I went and killed them for it, I'm such a jerk

hahaha!! I've never encountered a jumping spider. Sounds a little cute and a lot scary.

13. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 11:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey spideyjg. If you don't mind, I have a question for you. Since we are on the subject of spiders I thought it would be a good time to ask. What's this spider? I thinking it's a fishing spider. I was a bit freaked out by it. When we had bed bugs I used to have lots of tiny almost very thin spiders,almost like a cob web. We also had a TON of house centipedes. (If only I knew then...)
    Now, trying to stay vigilant...I find very few bugs in the home. We had vikane done last year. I've only spotted about 2-3 small centipedes in the past year. (I think coming in from the frt door. And well, I found this guy in our lower level family room by the floor board behind a plastic tub containing childrens toys, dead (prob from DE in cracks by our fireplace) I found two others about the same size, a bit smaller in that room and one which I think was a baby (very tiny on my stairs)
    I won't start to really worry unless I start to find them upstairs and/or in the bedrooms!
    But to know if this spider could harm my kids for I find them in the family/playroom would be a big help. We live on the edge of a mountain, have open property but about 1/4 mile from a large pond. In the summer we get tons of "moisture type flying insects" so I was thinking these spiders found were just a fluke and they are looking for warmer space. (?)
    Thanks for any info you know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11134728@N08/3025282400/

14. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 13:17:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably a fishing spider due to size and your location.

Can't see key identifiers in that shot but wolves have a lower row of 4 eyes, 2 big ones in the middle, and 2 smaller ones on the top row.

Fishing spiders have 2 rows of 4 eyes all about the same size.

Neither species is a major bite hazard from an envenomation or toxicity level but both have big fangs so a bite can be quite painful and as any puncture wound there is a risk of infection or allergic reaction.

Their spiderlings may be small enough to predate on BBs but a 1" adult may consider the 4 mm BB too small to bother with.

Main thing to teach the yewts is to not handle any spider because like any creature they get spooked they will defend themselves.

Jim

15. bugtrap

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 14:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Spiders are no better than bedbugs in my opinion. After my first spraying I slept over at my friends house and completely flipped out, when the next morning I woke with two huge boil like hives on my hip ( I was bitten by a cane spider ) this hurts and itches like nothing I have ever encountered. It has been two weeks and the bite marks are still visible. I take a bb bite before a spider bite.

16. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 15:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim for the quick reply. I know your feelings on spiders. Mine used to be the same. I used to find a spider or a lady bug and let them go outside. Now, I feel there's plenty of bugs out there anyway. Even a year after our infestation, I still feel any bug in my home is a dead bug. That makes me happy.
    Thanks for the info and yep, I'll keep the kiddies informed about handling spiders.

17. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 15:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bugtrap..I just looked up cane spider. WOW, Holy _____! Those things are huge! Looks similar to my spider but alot bigger. I see they can be found in Hawaii. Is that where you are at? Or are those things common elswhere too? Oh, and how on earth did you not see that thing bite you? Sleeping? Now that's a scary thought. Sorry for the spider bite. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant.

18. bugtrap

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 15:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I am lucky I live in Hawaii. Still we have BBs, too. As for cane spiders not sure where else you can find them. I don't recommend letting them bite you, that's for sure.

19. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 18:43:39
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG - I would call 911 if I saw one of those things ANYWHERE - holy crap they are scary looking - let the police get a gun and shoot it!!!

(I'm sorry Jim - but that CAne spider is one scary looking mother...)

reminds me of something that should be in the movies - maybe Men in Black vs the CAne Spider from outer space

20. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 19:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The Cane Spider is a species of Huntsman which are perhaps the largest non tarantula spiders.

My wife would call in a nuclear strike after she got done screaming. =:0 She wigs on
    spiders.

I'd rather flip the light on and see spiders fleeing than roaches.

Jim

21. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Nov 12 2008 19:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Truthfully I'd prefer not to see anything fleeing when I turn on the lights - I'm kind of funny about stuff like that ya know?

Well at least you were not offended - I know how you feel about spiders. but that one is creepy - not like the cute little one that I obliterated the other night

22. VioletRace

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 20 2009 18:00:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I've lived in Hawaii for 3 years and never saw a cane spider until about 1 month ago... that monster ran in my open car window and parked itself on the dash right in front of me. Luckily my husband was driving and not me or we'd both be dead. He was able to shoo it back out the window while I sat trembling in the back seat (it's all a blur how I got there). I'm ridiculously scared of spiders and that was by far one of the largest (also had a bad experience with some huge black spider in Greece but refuse to look at pictures to ID it) and scariest spiders I've ever seen outside of a cage at the zoo in my life. I wouldn't get in that car for a week and still have nightmares about it! Now even the lizards make me jump since their tails look like spider legs out the corner of my eye.

I'd much rather have BBs or roaches to one of these creepy guys. But I will honestly say that in all it's scary creepiness it's colors and marking were fairly pretty.

23. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 20 2009 22:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I lost count of how many times my bed bug inspections end with bed bugs caught in spider webs. They are certainly MY friend.

24. blahtobugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 22 2013 17:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I am super sad right now. I woke to potty and found a scary lookin guy in my bathroom who looked like he was gonna attack. Now I am not scared of spiders and I let them be usually. But this dude was a little different looking. So I took him outside. After I looked up what he was (a daredevil jumper spider), I wanted him back. I went to retrieve him from the porch and it had started to rain. I def wish I had looked him before I took him outside. Me and him could have been good buddies. Him eating any BB's he finds and me glad to have a friend on my side.

25. Alldara

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 7:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I am seriously considering going downstairs and getting cockroaches to eat my bed bugs. Ive had them and would seriously rather have them again the bed bugs. At least they didnt crawl on me and bite me. My cats are decent at finding the BBs. My rats supposidly eat them.

26. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 29 2013 11:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmmm . . .

In this world there are a bunch of critters that eat a bunch of other critters. And, there are a number of critters that we know eat and/or would be capable of eating bed bugs. Of these there are/may be the following, and note that this is not a complete list: ants (many species), cockroaches (a number of species), mice (they eat cockroaches so, perhaps bed bugs would serve as an adequate appetizer or desert?), predatory beetles, predatory hemipterans, spiders (many species) and possibly predatory wasps.

However, we also need to understand the "predator - prey" relationship as it exists in nature or the natural world. Note that because bed bugs live in "the human's world" we can argue and/or should recognize that this is NOT "the natural world". In our homes, we would not expect to find that free roaming predators would be able to frequent the various micro-environs where bed bugs would be present. For example; we would not expect to have marauding troops of army ants enter our bedrooms to "pillage the bed bug village" and render our abode bed bug free.

Conversely, in nature we can site various examples of predator-prey where they exist in sufficient numbers yet the prey population remains relatively stable or constant. Assuredly many of us have seen those dramatic videos where wild African wildebeests are devoured by massive crocodiles or hunted down and killed by lion packs yet, there still seems to be plenty of wildebeests because such predators are only responsible for the death of a small portion of the entire herd.

There are also examples where in pest management man has attempted to control a pest population through the use of various predatory insects, arthropods or other animals. However, for a suitable control level to be attained for bed bugs, that is zero bed bugs, we'd need to introduce and maintain a overly large population of such predators when consumption and population parameters are considered.

Yes, it's nice to know that a spider, centipede or other such critter may "help us out" by occasionally taking out a bed bug here and there, that this possibility exists doesn't buy these predators "a pass" in the Bello house however.

Have a nice day ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,691 posts in 29,314 topics over 90 months by 12,642 of 19,893 members. Latest: thatznotokay, uzu, thatchick