Do not use Terminix from Cincinnati...

(23 posts)
  1. RedRose84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2009 16:15:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If we get rid of our bed bugs, it's because of what we've done not what our exterminator, Terminix, has done.
    1) The only place for sure we knew we had bb's was in our mattress. Upon finding them we covered our mattress and box spring with covers (the bites ceased immediately). Our PCO suggested we not take the mattress cover off to treat the mattress for fear it might ruin their hiding place and make things worse. He thought it best to pray we don't get holes in our covers until they all died. He also thought they couldn't live past 6 months...Within two weeks, we had a hole in our boxspring cover...During his second treatment, we made him treat the mattress. He expected, though, that my husband take the cover off while he went to get his supplies. We told him that we don't feel comfortable nor should we do it. He hemmed and hawed and called his boss for permission...(seriously!) Then he said, however, since we were going out as he applied chemicals, that he wouldn't put it back on, that we would be responsible for it...(allowing any surviving bed bugs to leave the mattress while we were gone...). So at that moment we decided to stay for treatment and inhale the chemicals...
    2) As we stayed over him for the second treatment, we had to tell him to treat our dresser/nightstand and the big chair next to our bed. He hadn't done it the week before.
    3) They put glue pads down as the major part of treatment....What the heck are they going to do for bed bugs?
    4) And finally, trying to get them to keep their appointments and return phone calls has been a nightmare. I went to drop off my cat for boarding after laundering all our linens again in preparation of the last visit , and we receive a call from the PCO saying he can't make it after all. This after having to hunt them down the day before to confirm our appointment. We wasted unnecessary laundry money and boarding money just to have to do it all again.

Anyway, this is a warning for Cincinnatians looking for someone to treat their bed bugs. Do not use Terminix.

2. eatenalivenh

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2009 16:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen quite a few posts lately that are negative about Terminix. I myself am using them in NH my LL hired them so I didn't have a choice on who we went with. On the day of the treatment I was expecting the Manager that was there for the inspection appointment. He seemed very knowledgable and I trusted him with the service. Some random tech showed up that did not seem to have the knowledge that the first rep had.

I was not there for the treatment so I don't know what they treated and what they didn't I have a vision of them coming in spraying some chemicles around with no rhyme or reason and calling it a day.

The treatment was 1 week ago and I saw a live not close to dead looking bug last night. I am supposed to call the original Mgr. that did the inspection if there is any activity after 1 week and that would be today.

He told me I should not have to wash all linens again possibly just in the affected room depending on how bad it is.

I think I will request that the Mgr. actually perform the service.

I did not know that you had the option to stay in the unit while they treat, RedRose did he offer to let you stay or did he let you do so at your insistance? I think I would like to be there for the next one to make sure everything is treated!

3. kourna01

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2009 16:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I used terminix also. Although we never actually seen a BB we put a mattress cover on all of the mattresses. The sales lady told us to. She also stated that when they came to treat the house they would treat the mattresses. however when the guy came he gave us the same line of bull he gave you guys. A few weeks later I was getting bit again. I wonder if there is a hole in the cover somewhere. maybe there is one on the box spring cuz i have been picking my mattress up everyday to look for any signs of bb besides these itchy welts on my leg.........
    hope you have a success stroy in the end!!!

4. bugbasher

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2009 23:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Redrose,
    You did the right thing by staying for the treatment.I come from the era of the monthly roach spraying and you never left for those,so why should bb's be any different.Anyway did the tech who sprayed take the drawers out of the dressers and spray or just spray the outside? He should have removed the drawers and sprayed the underside of each drawer as well as the inside of the furniture once it was empty.For obvious you don't want or need the insides (where your clothes go) of the drawers sprayed,but the underside and shell of the pieces is doable and desirable.Technically the right way is to turn each piece of furniture upside down and treat the underside of each(not always feasable however for very big pieces).I had to settle for applying dust under certain pieces that I just couldn't turn over.I would call management on this as well as him not wanting to treat the mattress since the mattress was covered and there's no reason not to treat a covered mattress (as long as the customer agrees to keep the cover on for an agreed amount of time).As far as glue traps go I don't really believe the catch anything myself,bb's are just too sneaky for that.Good luck

5. RedRose84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2009 23:33:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of great replies and questions! I hope I respond to all well...

eatenalivenh....Basically, once he said that he wasn't going to put the mattress cover back on upon finishing treatment, I made up my mind to stay there (to make sure the cover was placed immediately after treatment). Afterall, he wasn't using any major chemicals that I couldn't be around. I kind of just stated that we would stay there, and he didn't object. I was sooooo glad I did. Just like you, I had no choice in using Terminix. My ll chose them after having them and another company that specialized in bed bugs come and inspect(which I really would have preferred as they were well informed on the subject and they understood the need to be thorough--of course money won out in the end for my ll). I did complain about Terminix to my ll, and she called to complain (as we have done). She says she plans never to use them again. Also like you, the owner who seemed somewhat informed about the subject conducted the inspection with my ll, and he seemed to imply (and I'm nearly certain stated a few times in fact) that he would personally do the treatment, and just like you, we received some technician instead who asked us questions on bed bugs just on the research I've done since I discovered them. Even more strangely, my grandmother called Terminix in NJ (we were there for Christmas, and we brought the bb's to my parents accidentally) to ask questions about treatments, and they had never heard of bed bug sniffing dogs.... If they are not informed about their own field, that's very strange. Anyway, sorry for the tangent, but I believe you can pretty much just decide to stick around. And having the manager do it is a much better idea. Good luck!

kourna01...I'm sorry to hear you had the same problem. It's a rather ridiculous thing for them not to do the mattress. With everything I've read, everyone seems to agree treatment of the actual mattress is necessary. The mattress covers are great, but the get holes easily (and if they don't of course, you end up going crazy making sure they don't get them!). Perhaps as a follow-up, they will come back and you can demand they treat the mattress. Good luck to you as well!

bugbasher...He did the dresser only upon my request (which is stupid because it sits three inches from my bed!). He did thoroughly do the drawers as they are pull-out baskets. They are easy and light to take out and steam and spray. I watched like a hawk because I was nervous that eggs were hiding in the wicker crevices. He did turn them over (probably only because they were like baskets). We also had to direct him to my husband's dresser as he never checked that either (sits two feet in front of the bed). And finally, we had to ask him to steam our oversized chair in the corner of our room, also only a few feet from our bed. Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure what he did the first visit when we weren't here if he didn't treat that furniture. I suppose the glue pads around the baseboards were supposed to catch them.... Thanks for your tips!

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 0:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

RedRose84 - 7 hours ago  » 

1) The only place for sure we knew we had bb's was in our mattress. Upon finding them we covered our mattress and box spring with covers (the bites ceased immediately). Our PCO suggested we not take the mattress cover off to treat the mattress for fear it might ruin their hiding place and make things worse.

There may be other aspects of your case but this statement is significant to me.

Ya know Rose in a case where an encasemant stops all activity I'd agree with the PCO. I'm no PCO but a veteran of this war.
    Encasements are BB prisons and in the event of a tear the enemy gets reinforcements.

If all activity stopped after encasement, I'd wait 2 weeks for confirmation, and toss them lock, stock, and barrel or if sentimental or something never touch the bed for 2 years. Once they get established in other furniture or walls the difficulty of eradication goes up.

Jim

7. IKILLEDTHEM

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 0:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

If u like, take off the covers apply DE, and then put the covers back on. They wont last long, trust me.(The BedBugs)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 2:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

IKILLEDTHEM - 1 hour ago  » 
    If u like, take off the covers apply DE, and then put the covers back on. They wont last long, trust me.(The BedBugs)

Most of the good encasements are air-permeable (not airtight) -- they breathe -- so I don't think putting a dust inside them is a good idea.

Ever sit down or have someone bounce next to you on a bed?
    Want to inhale DE?
    Even the "safer" kind of fresh water, food grade DE is not good for your lungs and should not be inhaled.

-----

IKILELDTHEM, please read this post:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/reinfestation-at-neighbours-house?replies=4#post-42761

And please stop spamming every thread you post to with the DE recommendation.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. IKILLEDTHEM

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 10:40:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted what works and the DE I use can be used on the mattress and boxspring. Stop the whining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 10:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

IKILLEDTHEM: show some basic manners here please.

11. IKILLEDTHEM

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 10:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Losingit,

I did but, I dont appreciate it when some1 personally attacks me. They could have sent me a message and added to my post. Thats all I am saying. Thanks

12. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 11:19:21
    #

Login to Send PM

IKILLEDHEM - I understand and yes, pehaps nobugs could have pm'd you, but still, I thought your words were uncalled for.

Maybe you and nobugs can PM each other to clear the air a little and we can all get back to fighting the common enemy instead of each other:)

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 12:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Per the CDC and NIOSH inhalation of DE is hazardous and must be avoided. FYI there is no seperate list for food grade or not.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0552.html

It is for use in voids and cracks where it will not be disturbed to become airborne. A mattress isn't the place for it even under an encasement for the reasons Nobugs stated.

Far too many hucksters claim DE is 100% safe and it isn't.

Just because something is highly effective does not mean it can be used willy nilly with no regard for human safety.

Jim

14. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 13:11:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ikilledthem,

The other thing to keep in mind about why Nobugsonme replied to you in public in a forum instead of by PM or email is this:

right now, you're approaching your conversations in the forum as if it's all about what you have to say.

As moderator, Nobugs also has to think about what reactions future readers will have when they come to the site.

DE is a great tool in the fight against bed bugs, esp. for those of us who would rather use a lower toxicity IPM that involves exposure to as few chemical pesticides as possible.

However, most people come to these boards in the middle of the sleep deprivation that comes with fighting bed bugs. It's very easy in that state to have trouble evaluating the finer points of treatment. (For example, I was so freaked out that I assumed that without an expensive steamer, I had no chance of beating the bugs. I went out and bought one, and then ended up getting thermal treatment, and as a result, I barely used it and certainly could have beaten the bugs without it. While it's convenient for "ironing" my clothes and great at cleaning things, given how much bed bugs cost, it was an expense I could have done without. I'm not complaining, really, so much as pointing out that I like to think that my day job has made me pretty good at looking at a variety of information and evaluating it for quality, and yet, in the middle of my bed bug fight, I sort of fell apart on that.)

As a moderator, Nobugs's primary concern isn't about peoples' feelings or freedom of speech. Of course, she seems, though I've met her, like a very nice person who worries about that when she can, her primary concern is making sure that the *discussions* (not the people) in the forums are factually accurate and will be helpful to the highly stressed out people who come here seeking help.

What I hear in her replies to you about the way that you talk about DE is this: those of us who've been around a while have a whole collection of stories of people who came here, in their stressed out and sleep deprived state, heard only that "food grade DE is safe" as "food grade DE is 100% safe, and you can do anything you want with it," and then went home and applied it incorrectly, resulting in problems for their own health and with PCOs, many of whom will not treat if improperly applied DE is in a residence.

It's her job as a moderator to keep an eye on every thread here and make sure that the majority of them, if not all, don't give stressed out, over-tired newbites information in a way that could be harmful to them, which means that she has to post in a thread that might be misinterpreted--as opposed to contacting someone privately--since it's not just about the people talking in a particular thread but also about people who might access that thread months or years from now.

The officially published information on DE is that it is an inhalation hazard. It's not, in fact, safe for use on mattresses because of the reasons described above, just as applying it without wearing proper breathing protection is potentially dangerous.

Precisely because I want people to know that there are alternatives to chemical treatment, I want them to have accurate information about how to use DE safely.

15. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 14:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Erm, instead of this:

Of course, she seems, though I've met her, like a very nice person who worries about that when she can, her primary concern

That should read:

Of course, she seems, though I've *never* met her, like a very nice person who worries about that when she can, but her primary concern . . .

ooops.

16. RedRose84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 14:19:25
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 13 hours ago  » 

RedRose84 - 7 hours ago  » 
    1) The only place for sure we knew we had bb's was in our mattress. Upon finding them we covered our mattress and box spring with covers (the bites ceased immediately). Our PCO suggested we not take the mattress cover off to treat the mattress for fear it might ruin their hiding place and make things worse.

There may be other aspects of your case but this statement is significant to me.
    Ya know Rose in a case where an encasemant stops all activity I'd agree with the PCO. I'm no PCO but a veteran of this war.
    Encasements are BB prisons and in the event of a tear the enemy gets reinforcements.
    If all activity stopped after encasement, I'd wait 2 weeks for confirmation, and toss them lock, stock, and barrel or if sentimental or something never touch the bed for 2 years. Once they get established in other furniture or walls the difficulty of eradication goes up.
    Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the advice. The problem is though even during our treatment, we already got holes in the encasements. Our PCO also said not to get a new bed, so he actually expected us to wait them out to suffocate after 18 long months (they didn't even last two full weeks!). Soooo we made him treat our mattress, and we've still had no bites for over a week now (let's hope we make it to two weeks!). We are also double encasing everything. When I am sure they are gone (or just in the mattress), we might get a new bed. We've been debating among getting a new one once we've been free of them for a month, waiting the 18 months, or waiting the 2 years until we move... Mo matter whivh way, you can guess that we will have double protection on our mattress and box spring!

17. eatenalivenh

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 30 2009 22:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank You! I called today and it looks like the second treatment will be Wed. he needs to call me back to confirm though. I am 100% staying this time. That way I am certain that he sprays where I feel that he needs to. I know best where I see the most activity and what I think needs to be done in my own home I think! I also have encasements I did take them off so the mattress could be treated out of concern that I may get holes at some point. I do have a kitty too with her little claws.

I am going to also see of I can get him to do some inspecting with me. I really want to know where their harborage is. I never saw fecal traces outside of the bed that is now encased and there was not much there. I have also never seen a cast skin. They are hiding out somewhere in my room outside of the bed and I cannot for the life of me find where, so frustrating! I'll bet David or KQ could probably find it I wish I had someone like that near me! I have found several live bugs and 1 dead

18. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 31 2009 16:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

To speak about the topic originally posted: Terminix and their ability to rid bed bugs:

1) I do not work for Terminix; in fact they are my competitor.

2) Terminix is a VERY big company, and even within Cincinnati they likely have more than one office.

3) The individual technician may not have been very good. Perhaps they have others within that office that are superstars.

As I have stated many times it is not the company that treats for bed bugs; it is an individual technician. With that said certain companies may prepare their employees better, have better policies, better etc. but at the end of the day it comes down to how good was the individual doing the work.

Did you contact their management? If so, how was that handled? This would be a better indicator of how that office is in dealing with unsatisfied customers.

Sincerely,

Sean
    Entomologist / Pest Professional
    http://www.thebedbugresource.com

19. ASAPEST.COM

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 10 2009 23:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to work for Orkin and they are just as bad as Terminix. Really it's up to the Technician to do the job right, but most cant due to time restriction that are imposed on them.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2009 2:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 1 week ago  » 

Ikilledthem,
    The other thing to keep in mind about why Nobugsonme replied to you in public in a forum instead of by PM or email is this:
    right now, you're approaching your conversations in the forum as if it's all about what you have to say.
    As moderator, Nobugs also has to think about what reactions future readers will have when they come to the site.
    As a moderator, Nobugs's primary concern isn't about peoples' feelings or freedom of speech. Of course, she seems, though I've met her, like a very nice person who worries about that when she can, her primary concern is making sure that the *discussions* (not the people) in the forums are factually accurate and will be helpful to the highly stressed out people who come here seeking help.
    What I hear in her replies to you about the way that you talk about DE is this: those of us who've been around a while have a whole collection of stories of people who came here, in their stressed out and sleep deprived state, heard only that "food grade DE is safe" as "food grade DE is 100% safe, and you can do anything you want with it," and then went home and applied it incorrectly, resulting in problems for their own health and with PCOs, many of whom will not treat if improperly applied DE is in a residence.
    It's her job as a moderator to keep an eye on every thread here and make sure that the majority of them, if not all, don't give stressed out, over-tired newbites information in a way that could be harmful to them, which means that she has to post in a thread that might be misinterpreted--as opposed to contacting someone privately--since it's not just about the people talking in a particular thread but also about people who might access that thread months or years from now.
    The officially published information on DE is that it is an inhalation hazard. It's not, in fact, safe for use on mattresses because of the reasons described above, just as applying it without wearing proper breathing protection is potentially dangerous.
    Precisely because I want people to know that there are alternatives to chemical treatment, I want them to have accurate information about how to use DE safely.

Thanks, buggyinsocal. You represented my perspective wonderfully.

I am sorry if readers feel it seems like I am being rude or not open-minded, but this is not where I am coming from.

IKILLEDTHEM, please take buggyinsocal's words to heart.

It is not always easy to be the admin of this site, and I understand what I say is not always popular with everyone.

It also isn't easy to be on a site like this for years and hear stories of people harming themselves in the desperate attempt to get rid of bed bugs.

Obviously, I don't deny DE can have a place in bed bug treatment. I wrote a FAQ on it after all. But no one tool is the be-all and end-all, and all tools must be used correctly and carefully, and even chosen with care and consideration for one's individual circumstances.

The bottom line is that my response to your posts on DE was not a personal attack on you but an attack on your advice which in factual terms, is not great advice.

It was also a request not to post similar advice over and over, regardless of the topic of the particular thread.

21. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2009 10:51:38
    #

Login to Send PM

ASAPEST.COM - 10 hours ago  » 
    I used to work for Orkin and they are just as bad as Terminix. Really it's up to the Technician to do the job right, but most cant due to time restriction that are imposed on them.

This is my humble opinion:

Since your name is asapest.com you are obviously advertising your services (indirectly) and it is bad form to trash talk another company (in this case Terminix and Orkin). If you are a true professional, and your company is good, let it stand on its own merits.

Sincerely,

Sean.

22. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2009 14:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sean,

A well made point and one that got me thinking if it would not be a good point that people should specifically enquire as the experience levels of the people performing the treatment and the process that will be undertaken.

I am sure we can all agree that this is an area where skill and experience are so vital I think it is not unreasonable for people to ask for the technician to at least bring confirmation of their experience and relevant credentials to ensure that they match what has been agreed.

Ideally I would like to think there is a way for all technicians to register their skills and abilities on this one subject but ensuring that the information is verified and accurate is always the stumbling block.

If anyone has any thoughts please PM me.

David

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 11 2009 18:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

thebedbugresource - 7 hours ago  » 
    Since your name is asapest.com you are obviously advertising your services (indirectly) and it is bad form to trash talk another company (in this case Terminix and Orkin). If you are a true professional, and your company is good, let it stand on its own merits.

Hi Sean,

I made a similar point in this thread yesterday.

I hope ASAPEST will read our comments. Many people post but do not come back to see what others say.

It can be important, for example, here, where ASAPEST offers incomplete dryer advice. I hope s/he will come back and respond, otherwise, we may be talking to ourselves.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,818 posts in 29,342 topics over 90 months by 12,653 of 19,905 members. Latest: Wtf.hellnoin NJ, anxiety high, itchylady