Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

WAS: do not hire terminex, NOW: exterminators started the bed bug epidemic

(18 posts)
  1. 109er

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2009 10:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I would just like to get some information out there to the community. I live on the Upper West Side in Manhattan in a large multi-unit apartment building. About 2 months ago my roommate's girlfriend started getting bites when she stayed in our apartment. Lo and behold a PCO positively visually identified BBs and it was plain to see that we had a problem.

I immediately contacted my super who informed me that the building had a contract with Terminix. He gave me their preparation instructions and phone number and I called to make an appointment.

On the day of the appointment my roommate and I waited in the apartment and no one came. We called back and were told that no appointment was in their system. This was extremely aggravating but we made another appointment, not knowing what else to do.

On the day of the second appointment... again, no one came. I called to find out what was happening and they explained "Oh, the technician is sick, he's not doing any jobs today". Of course, I wasn't TOLD that my appointment had been cancelled until AFTER I had spent 3 hours waiting. I got a little testy on the phone and they sent someone later that day (luckily I had off).

One technician showed up and told me I had to leave the apartment for a few hours. I went to a coffee shop around the corner and when he was finished he called me from his van, already driving away to tell me he was done. I had no chance to ask him further questions or get his advice on what to do next. All he said was to vacuum up the dust he had spread throughout the apartment the next day.

Needless to say, our BB problem was not solved. So I called Terminix once again. They were supposed to come last Thursday. No one showed up. I made another appointment for this morning and called yesterday afternoon, spoke to the woman who made the appointment to confirm and STILL, no one has come to my apartment. When I have talked to them to find out what's going on they simply say that the technician isn't picking up his phone.

WHAT THE *#&%$!

So please, take it from me, do not hire Terminix for your bedbug problem. They are utterly and totally incompetent, their customer service is clueless and unhelpful, and they have 4 TIMES failed to perform the most basic and fundamental task of any business which is to arrive at scheduled appointments.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2009 10:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Far be it from me to defend Terminex (or any other PCO I've not used), but I did want to say this.

We frequently get mixed reviews of large pest control chains. Part of this is likely because the quality of individual offices within those large companies varies widely.

I don't know NYC geography to know if saying that the Terminex on the Upper West Side of Manhattan is specific enough to be of help to other bed bug sufferers or not. And I don't want to push you into revealing details of exactly where in the city you are, as I myself am very cagey for safety reasons about revealing exactly where I am in the greater Los Angeles metro area (as anyone should be).

As far as getting your problem taken care of, did you tell your super about their lack of professionalism, poor customer service, and ineffective treatment? It does often take multiple visits from a PCO for chemical treatment to work, so the fact that the bed bugs haven't gone away after one treatment (or at least that fact alone) isn't proof that the treatments won't work in the long run. However, better education of the customer (like, oh, I don't know sticking around to answer questions and give you info on what you can do to suppor treatment) and showing up for scheduled appointents would seem a given. At any rate, I would mention it to the super just in case a word from someone with a contract with them will get you better service. (The phone people from my PCO were always very rude to me on the phone when I called, unless they assumed and I failed to correct them that I was my landlord, when suddenly they were terribly helpful. I thought the same principle might apply to your PCO.)

But if you're comfortable telling people exactly which Terminex office you had problems with, your information will likely be more helpful to people.

We've also heard positive reviews of some Terminex offices (I think. I don't recall exactly) in other states or cities, so it's important that people know which offices to avoid.

3. bait

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2009 17:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My first PC experience was with Terminix in Queens, NY. I spent about $800 (or was it $400 or $600 - can't really remember). It was a waste of my money and time. I got no shows, wrong advice, lack of communication, indiscreetness, etc etc. My friend used the same company/people and got rid of her BB problem. Go figure.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2009 17:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to agree here, while you certainly sound like you were not properly treated both as customers and for bed bugs, it may not be fair to blame the whole company and perhaps the Mgmt may be a part of this as well. I am not now nor have I ever been affiliated with Terminix.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 20 2009 20:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible the building management had something to do with the lack of communication (I wonder if they knew about the cancellation).

I am not defending the company, but everyone should note that Terminix (and other large pest chains) vary in terms of service from place to place. They're not all the same, as buggyinsocal noted.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. ruthven78

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 22 2009 1:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah I would deffinetly let your super know, maybe he can cancel the contract for them not keeping up their end of it and then switch to a better PCO.

7. 109er

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 26 2009 10:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, everyone has some good points here.

I don't know how Terminix is structured in NYC specifically but from my conversations with the people in their office it seems that they are located in Long Island City, Queens and send teams out from that location.

Thanks to the information on this forum and this site I was not expecting to be 100% rid of bugs on the first treatment. I have been quite willing to be patient and wait for subsequent treatments to do the full job. My problem is that despite speaking to everyone in the office including their supervisor I can't actually get a technician to my apartment to do another treatment and they seem totally unconcerned by their terrible customer service.

I have contacted my building manager and his response was that he will contact them and "take care of it". That was Friday; today is Monday; I still have bedbugs. Perhaps they don't schedule appointments over the weekend. Fine. But I had better hear from them very soon.

On a related note can anyone recommend potential legal services for BB issues in NYC?

8. bb_gave_me_ocd

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 29 2009 9:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you try calling 311 and reporting? I don't know if it will help but it's worth trying. (I'm in NYC too.)

9. FUckExterminators

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 3:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't everyone remember when before this damn epidemic with the bed bugs happened, that every single exterminator company were all on the verge of all going out of business? Then out of nowhere, BOOM, business started Booming everywhere. I bet that the exterminator companies planted them everywhere, so they all would never go out of business. Think about it, what if you where a company that was about to go out of business, what will you do, either go out of business, and become homeless, or plant money everywhere. It's a damn shame, I used to think bed bugs were just a saying my grandmother would say to me as a child before I went to sleep, "goodnight don't let the bed bugs bite" and that's it. I never knew they're these damn tick looking things that eat you alive, and it's hell getting rid of them. Never in my whole entire life have I seen one, until this epidemic broke out, and it's pretty coincidental that it started right at the time all the exterminators where about to all go out of business. One of them came up with the master plan, now they're all making a killing from planting them on people, and now they're spreading everywhere. I could be wrong, but I highly highly doubt it!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 3:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FU,
    Please see your private messages-- you have an important one from admin. Look for the link in the top of the sidebar.

11. djames1921

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 7:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I love a good conspiracy as much as the next person, but exterminators were not all about to go out of business before bed bugs. Pest control companies tend to weather recessions better than most businesses because they provide a service that most people can't or won't do for themselves and they have the experience to know how to handle pest related problems. Many pest control companies actually don't do bed bug work, they see it as a headache and a potential liability and refer the work out to other companies who do. This is not to say the potential isn't there for unethical companies/employees to take advantage of people and separate them from their money by "finding bed bugs" and selling treatments for problems that aren't there. This has happened in this industry in the past unfortunately, but of course these types of things happen in every industry, like the mechanic who says you need a new transmission, etc.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 8:27:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FU Ex,

Aside from the other erroneous points I think it's important to be technically correct on public forums and as such so that others are not mislead I need to point out that ticks have eight legs when they are blood feeders while insects have six.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  13. Louise

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 9:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, David and David,

I admire you for the remarkable restraint you used in your posts.

Mr. Cain, your post in particular caused me to chuckle out loud.

14. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 17:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I'll confess .. It's was me. I started the spread.

My then girlfriend (dating 10 years) was pressuring me to get married and start a family.

Worried about not having enough money to support my new future family, I planted my first bug in Lou Sorkin's shorts.

Sorry for the typo's I'm texting and driving me cause jim still not rich and in working right now.

15. Louise

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri May 10 2013 17:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, I'll confess .. It's was me. I started the spread.
    ...Worried about not having enough money to support my new future family, I planted my first bug in Lou Sorkin's shorts.

Well, that explains it. Obviously the bug you planted met up with Lou's pet bug, and the rest is history.

Bug meets bug. A love story in the making...

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat May 11 2013 15:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Louise - 1 day ago  » 
    Nobugs, David and David,
    I admire you for the remarkable restraint you used in your posts.
    Mr. Cain, your post in particular caused me to chuckle out loud.

I think it's maybe a terminology issue. No self-respecting PMP refers to him/herself an "exterminator" these days, from what I gather.

Since there are no exterminators here, who could be insulted?

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat May 11 2013 19:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think of myself more as an eliminator or terminator and not always just of bedbugs.

David

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 13 2013 1:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    I think of myself more as an eliminator or terminator

Terminator, hmm?

Waiting for the parody video:

http://youtu.be/c4Jo8QoOTQ4

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,075 posts in 31,011 topics over 94 months by 13,441 of 20,848 members. Latest: Mellisa, midnightfeast, senses123