Do I have bed bugs or mosquito bites?!?

(13 posts)
  1. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 8:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone! Sorry, it's quite long, but wanted you to get the full story.

So my story begins on the 12th of March. We had a party at my house and it was particularly humid so there was literally 100 mosquito's hanging around. That night I stayed outside without repellent until about 3:30am sitting on grass. I was wearing 3/4 sleeved jacket and short shorts. Even after the party, there were lots of mosquito's in the house. I know I got bitten numerous amounts that night as I saw multiple 'bites' which looked like white 1cm circles with a red dot in the middle. These marks didn't itch or hurt at all so I dismissed them.

Then exactly one week later, at night I felt an itch first starting on my right leg (I think it was about 3am) and started feeling lumps which were extremely itchy. When I woke up in the morning, I had about 40 bites on me, most of them on my feet, ankles, calf and back of my thighs. I had a few on my arms as well. All these bites were on exposed areas. I wear short shorts and a loose sweater to sleep, so the exposed areas would also be similar to that on the night of the party. On this day, my legs were itching like crazy, they became all red and swollen kind of like a rash in some areas. The next night, I still felt itchy, (I sleep late, around 2-3am) and woke up to about 10 new bites. This was when I suspected it was bed bugs so my mum and I searched my whole mattress and bedroom, but found nothing (no fecal stains or blood on bedsheets). My mum took me to see the doctor, and she seemed to think it was an allergic reaction to the mosquito bites I got one week earlier (she said it was because I had asthma and hay fever, as did my brother and mum). I didn't mention the possibility of bedbugs, and neither did she. She acknowledged it was bug bites, and had me treated with a scabies/insect bite lotion.

And then the next night, I wasn't sure if I got bitten because when I woke up this morning I was only itchy one bite on my knee, I was far less itchy compared to previous nights and most of the bites I already had, were going down and becoming less itchy. So today, with less itches in the morning, I've noticed that when I come into my room for a while (during the day) I seem to leave feeling itchy in one area. For example, I was here cleaning my clothes for about 10 minutes, and felt itchy (not sure if they're previous ones reacting to touch though). What I think is a MAJOR sign, was today after very thoroughly inspecting my mattress, I seemed to find dust-like looking specks. They were a pale yellow with black specks within them. I was so horrified at the thought they could be bed bug eggs, so I googled it, and apparently they're extremely sticky. The ones on my mattress seam was not sticky at all, as I could remove them by just touching them, and I vacuumed them out just fine. Just typing this I seem to be getting bitten, I am sitting on my bed with my legs dangling.. it's only 11PM.

So I guess my question is, does this all sound like bed bugs or just a delayed reaction to mosquito bites one week later?

Also, I live with my parents in a double story house, and no one has ever had bed bugs before. Also, my bed, house and area is fairly new, about 5 years old.

Thank you for taking time to read this, and any help/suggestions is appreciated. I just wish I could get on with living my normal life again without constant fear of bites and bugs.

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 9:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So I guess my question is, does this all sound like bed bugs or just a delayed reaction to mosquito bites one week later?

Sounds like a delayed reaction... to mosquitoes bites or to something in the grass you've been in contact with....

3. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 9:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 3 minutes ago  » 

Sounds like a delayed reaction... to mosquitoes bites or to something in the grass you've been in contact with....

Thanks for your response, but since writing this question, I have about 3 more bites on my foot. It's not 3am yet, and I'm not even asleep. Do bedbugs bite when there is so much light in the room? My main concern with all this is that I seem to find new bites all the time!

4. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 9:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response. But since posting this question, I have noticed another 3 bites on my foot. These seem a bit different, as they are really small and don't swell when I itch it. It's not even 3am yet, and I'm not even asleep! The thing that's worrying me heaps is that I keep finding new bites all the time!

5. zlatik

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 9:29:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have any reason to suspect you have bed bugs? aka have you visited anyone with an infestation, have you travelled recently, do you use public transit often, etc? And no, movie theaters, grocery stores, and coffee shops do not account unless you are aware of an infestation in that particular place and/or you live in very high-risk areas such as cities like NY.

form what you described there is no reason to suspect bed bugs, however there are other insects that may be present and you should check for those.

When I was a young teenager I was hyper-sensitive to mosquito bites and spent my summers on a farm with high population of fleas. I had very similar symptoms to yours.

6. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 10:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

No known infestations or travelling, but at the party, my friend left her bag in my room for a few hours (she got back from travelling Europe 2 months ago), and a few of my brothers friends slept over, so bought with them overnight bags and sleeping bags. None of these people stated they have bed bugs. If it were my brothers friends, wouldn't he have them too? He also has hay fever and asthma. Also, this was only one week ago, so I don't think they could hatch so many (to give me 40+ bites) in one week.

I live near a lake and there's always these tiny flies, gnats I think, they're always present at night and I have a fly screen window so when I open it, they always seem to fly in. Although I haven't gotten bitten in these quantities or even at all. And, on the night I received my first mass of bites, I don't recall having opened my window.

Well, I'm a teenager and my doctor thinks I have a sensitive reaction to mosquito bites. It feels better to know someone else has experienced something similar. But I'm still EXTREMELY worried about my discovery on the mattress as well as these new bites. At this point, I'm hoping the mattress has dirt and dust and I'm getting an allergic reaction to mosquito's.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 14:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, D. As EffeCi pointed out, you're likely are reacting to mosquitoes and perhaps other irritants from your night outside. And you also have mosquitoes in the house. Bite reactions (severity, time to reaction) can vary. It's hard to determine by appearance if a "bite" is from BB or something else. But you also had visitors and you "have a life" outside your home, so you could have been exposed to BB, hopefully, probably not. So, it would probably serve you well to read our FAQ and understand BB and how to inspect for them. If you had mosquito bites and you've eliminated the source, your bites should decrease over time. If you've been infested by BB (and you do react), over time you'll see an increase in bites and signs of BB (fecal marks, shells, eggs or bugs) may become evident. Finally, you mentioned your mum. If you're in the care of parent(s), fighting BB (if necessary) is something they need to take responsibility for. Feel better and best of luck.

8. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 20:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello cilecto, thank you. Sorry to sound like a pest, lol, but is it possible I have no reaction to the mosquito bites but have a major reaction to bed bugs? Are the chemicals they produce in their saliva similar/same? And, no one has mentioned the 'eggs' I found on my mattress seam. Is it possible they can be not sticky? It was hard to find pictures for me to compare to, since they're so small. They were of similar colour to some zoomed in pictures I found and I noticed they were elongated, like the ones I saw. They didn't appear all around the seams, just mostly around the top and bottom seams. Not on sides.

I know everyone on here, my doctor and my mum has stated they think it is the mosquito bites, but I have this small fear in the back of my head it may be bed bugs. Maybe I'm just letting my paranoia get to me. I have also resulted to picking up random black specs on my carpet and bed, most of which turn out to be lint or dirt.

Thanks for putting up with me guys!

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 20:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, DWB. I'm not an expert on bite reactions. If you don't get a response, try a private message to one of our members who's an entomologist; LouBugs, TheBedBugResource, EffeCi, Jeff White or Winston O Buggy. If you can get a macro (flower setting) picture of your specimens, you can upload to flickr, or similar and post a link with ID request.

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 21:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sensitive to BBs and sensitive to mosquitoes...

11. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 22:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh.
    One thing I just noticed was, I found this little bug in my laundry basket when I put all my clothes from my closet into it. I can't upload any pictures because my camera isn't very good and when I take photos it blurs. It does not look like a bed bug in any of the cycles, it doesn't have any legs or a head so I was thinking it could be molt. Are bed bug molts clear or translucent? The one I have is just an oval shape with many sections, with the top and bottom being black, and white/cream in the middle. This new discovery has got me even more anxious. :S

12. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 22:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, there was fluid in the thing I found :S Puss-like fluid.

Ugh, am I losing my mind..

13. dontwantbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 3:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. So an update, upon searching my room, I found 2 carpet beetle larvae.. I have compared it to many pictures I've seen on the internet and they look very similar. Not too sure if they caused the bites though, because I touched the two and they were alive but got no reactions on my fingers as yet.

Further research has led me to believe they can be killed using baking soda.. I sprinkled some on my carpet and am going to vacuum it tonight. Does this work?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter