Do I Have Bed Bugs?

(5 posts)
  1. helpwbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 8 2009 16:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The other day my dog spit out a little round grey-ish-black ball about the size of a fruit suit that he was chewing on he'd picked up off the bedroom floor. This was about 9:30 AM. I picked it up with a piece of toilet paper and when I squeezed it, bright red blood came out. It was oval shaped and grey and I didn't look at it that closely but it didn't appear to have a visible head or legs. Unfortunately, I flushed it down the toilet before looking up what kind of bug would possibly spurt blood like that when squeezed. Once I looked it up, I'm now terrified it was a bed bug!

I've been paranoid and I washed the sheets and blanks and put on new white sheets. This morning, on the side of the bed, there was a black streak about the size of my pointer finger on the sheets on the side of the bed. It was not a solid black line but a sort of streaky black line. There have also been some flat hard black specks and very tiny hard little round white things that I've picked up off the bed in the last day. The white things are tiny and almost microscopic and don't appear to have heads but are kind of ovaly shaped and one side almost has a little point on it. (I sprinkled DE so I thought maybe the black things were dehydrated bed bugs, one of the specks looked like it had lines along it but didn't appear to have legs and was very flat) I don't think the black specks that I've picked up are fleas b/c the dogs had fleas before and I know what fleas look like and these were not shiny like the fleas I'd seen in the past.

Have not noticed any bites on me, not itchy or anything. But I'm paranoid because I don't know what that grey ball with spurting dark red blood was, especially coupled with the streak on the side of the sheets and the little black and white specks.

2. BugBoy911

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 8 2009 19:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I would take the first step in doing a basic inspection of your bedroom. Flip over mattress and boxspring and look carefully pulling back any fabric and exposing creases within the bedding to look for them. Also inspect the backs of your bedroom furniture and headboard of your bed. Use a flashlight while performing such a task. If indeed you find evidence of bedbug activity you should immediatly contact a professional either recommeded from this site or another site were people can help guide you.

3. BB_Slayer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 8 2009 21:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Your description does match all the bed bug information I've found online. The white specks are baby bed bugs. They go through 5 growth stages and have to feed between each stage, so each white speck you kill is saving you several bites.

I also have no reaction to the bites. I never suspected I had bed bugs until I saw one. They'd been feeding on me for who knows how long and I never even knew it.

My strategy was to change my sleeping habits so I could catch them coming out to feed and kill them, since I only discovered two of them in my box spring and none in the mattress or other bedding. Over 12 days I've killed about 40 adults and 160 nymphs (babies) and I think they're almost gone.

If you find a bunch of them then you should probably not try getting them all yourself. Get an encasement for your mattress and box spring, wash all the bedding in hot water and dry it in a dryer.
    Vacuum under and around the bed thoroughly. Immediately put that vacuum bag in a plastic bag and seal it shut tight and dispose of it outdoors when you're done vacuuming.

4. Louise

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 9 2009 12:30:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. My thought is that bedbugs are reddish-brown. I don't believe black or gray are the right colors for bedbugs.

The white oval things *could* be eggs, I guess, although I'm not sure that bedbug eggs are "very hard". Anyone? And were they "glued" onto the bed? Were they on the sheets, the mattress, the boxspring, the bedframe? Ditto with the black specks - were they just loose on the sheets, or did you scrape them off of the bedframe?

The streak sounds awfully large to be bedbug-related, but perhaps it's possible.

I guess I'm really not much help, am I?

I would keep inspecting your bed for evidence regularly, and perhaps purchase a pocket microscope so that you can look at these specks in greater detail.

Louise

5. helpwbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 9 2009 12:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks or the feedback. The possible "eggs" were on the sheets and came off very easily, which doesn't really sound like what I read about bed bug eggs. I currently have them in a bowl.

I've called a pest control company to come out today to help me inspect just because I know I will not sleep until I do! $99 for an inspection is a small price to pay for peace of mind!

My dog also found another bug this morning that looks strikingly similar to the one I found earlier--- another greyish ball. He popped it right out from under the couch. I didn't squish this one so I don't' know if blood would have come out or not. It is that blood in that bug that REALLY REALLY freaked me out. The bug is bagged, waiting for the pest control person to come. The eggs are also in a bowl waiting for him (I suspect...and pray!!!!... that he is going to think I am nuts and tell me to stay off the internet!)

The other thing I was thinking is we had some people in our house doing work and one of them lives in a cheap motel (this will never happen again!)... he was in the two rooms where the bugs were found... Is it possible he brought in bed bugs? It was about 3 weeks ago that he was here- would it take this long for me to notice something?

My dogs seem to be good bug hunters, they can spot a spider in two seconds crawling across the ceiling or a ladybug from a mile away, so I am hoping that if there were more/other bugs anywhere they would have found them. I wonder whether anyone here has experience w/ dogs, just average household pets, locating the bugs. These guys are beagles w/ good noses!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,369 posts in 28,325 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter