Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Do extremely large plump bedbugs splat blood when smashed?

(13 posts)
  1. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 0:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Would an adult bedbug be so full of blood that it appeared black with an almost spherical back end, but when smashed squirt NO blood at all and look a transparent dark brown post-smash? Pre-smash I confused it with a black crunchy spider with a round back end, like an 8 ball, thats what the back end looked like.

i have received an all clear from my property manager (after his pest control professional came in and inspected) for bed bugs but i'm still so nervous...its so close to lease renewal time i am not sure he'd tell me if they were here. i have a super itchy rash, but i had it for a few months this summer in the same places all the time (back, sides, legs) and it went away for awhile, now its back again. do bed bugs ever take a break from biting? thinking it might be my detergent but i just did a patch test on my arm and no irritation yet. it is the same detergent my mom was using and she stopped using it cause it gave her a rash on her knees/ankles.

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 0:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,
    I don't know much about the behavior of bed bug biting frequency. I don't know what it looks like when it's smashed, but you described the insect as having a round back end like an eight ball. To me, it doesnt sound like a bb, it sounds like a spider beetle.

Dont take my word for it as I really know little about bugs, but your description sounded like one of the bugs that infound in my home and i was told it was a spider beetle.

One of the experts will answer your question with authority. We have great entomologists and Top PCOs that come on this forum to help.

3. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 0:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks. i have a pretty serious anxiety disorder and this fear is making me physically sick. i can feel myself getting crazier every day, i never think about anything other than bedbugs. i cant sleep, i dont feel comfortable in my apartment which i used to love...this is the first place i've had to myself since i've been old enough to really want to make my own real home...ive moved seven times in the last six years and was so relieved to finally be settled. this is really just killing my spirit.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 15:03:39
    #

Login to Send PM

our experts like to have pictures of the suspected insect if it's possible (even squished bug might provide critical information to our entomological sleuths)..so if you can snap a picture or if you kept the corpse, please post it.

5. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 16:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, here are some pictures. if you are not a professional and someone i can reference to my landlord as being a professional PLEASE do not comment on this as a yes or no identification. if i am going to have a panic attack while i am home alone i'd much rather it be because of an identification thats a definite positive from a professional.

its REALLY smashed, sorry. this has been identified by a pest control operator already as NOT being a bedbug. are the antennae too long for it to be a bedbug? its body was very round before i squished it and it was walking across the floor in my living room last week. I also found a smear of what looks like blood behind my headboard this morning that was not there last night.

i did stay at a hotel last weekend where i was bitten by something - could i still be reacting to bites from that a week later? popping up in different spots?

you can click on the pictures for a bigger/closer view. these are the best pics i could get.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xveganxprincessx/sets/72157625088232472/

6. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 17:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

does the bug i smashed resemble this: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/what-is-this-help

??

7. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 17:07:25
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry about all the replies. when it was walking it did look like this: http://meanderthal.typepad.com/dope/2007/06/brooklyn_invert.html

god i hope its not a bedbug.

8. cacutie

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 17:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

When I caught my first bed bug, it was flat, looked just like the pics and was a crimson red color. I nabbed it walking across my sheets and when I squished it, it squished blood onto my sheets and fingers and smelled foul.

9. cacutie

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 17:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not entemologist, but that smashed bug is not a bed bug. It looks nothing like any of the countless ones I've smashed or found dead after sprayings. Lucky.

10. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 17:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you. <3 something is still nibbling at me in my sleep so i'm going to see if my prop mgr will have a dog come by just to be safe...but i do feel a bit better now.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

http://meanderthal.typepad.com/dope/2007/06/brooklyn_invert.html

Above site is wrong in identifying the beetle as a species of Mezium. It is a species of Gibbium. Both are spider beetles and the unknown one you posted looks most like a Gibbium species.
    I posted on their site the correct determination.

cacutie-
    You described an adult bed bug which is relatively large in comparison to the younger nymph stages.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  12. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 20:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

any idea about the spot on the wall?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xveganxprincessx/5047744897/in/set-72157625088232472/

i tried to smear it with saliva and it would not budge. how long does it take blood to oxidize if this was somehow from a bedbug but not fecal?

13. Jenn28

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 23:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

iseriouslyneversleep,

Yes, I had some nice splats of blood in my bed before my discovery. I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable in your apartment anymore. I wish I had the option to move (I own) and it might be a long time before you feel it's home again. It depends on the person. I feel better about my place, but I'm still waiting for that 100% comfortable feeling again. I think it's just the fact that bed bugs are always on my mind. Bed time still does not feel as comfortable as it used to all these months later. If your lease is coming up for renewal, you have some serious thinking to do!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.