do carpet beetles actually bite? I am hearing conflicting info. When we took

(12 posts)
  1. kingfisher111

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:20:32
    #

Login to Send PM

apart our bed to do a bb inspection we found 2 carpet beetles under the bed and 1 in the bedding...
    Not jumping to conclusions but hopeful that maybe this has been the cause of my bites?

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This maybe the cause of your bite-like reactions, yes...

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it could be the cause of your reaction.

Have a look at:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but iirc, they (or is it their larvae?) shed tiny hairs which can embed in skin like splinters (if you're sensitive). So, I suspect you don't need to actually contact the CBs to get the reaction.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. kingfisher111

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

would this explain the row of three bites though? or just individual "bites"

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 14:59:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to give an idea of how many hairs are on carpet beetle's (Dermestidae) cast skins:

Common carpet beetle (Attagenus sp.)

Dermestid Beetle (Dermestes sp.)

Larger Cabinet Beetle (Trogoderma inclusum)

7. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 16:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

What I don't understand is this : How do those hairs make contact with human skin? Do the beetles larvae shed them, and we randomly come into contact with it?

I found a few such larvae in here last November, after my first treatment, but have never seen any again after I got rid of my couch and a few area rugs. I never even would have known they were in here had I not been inspecting. It seems like many people have them--witness the large number of carpet beetle pictures posted on this site. Can a carpet beetle infestation be large without our ever noticing it? And if so, does that hair spread lose around our homes?

They are really gross looking, grosser than a bed bug.

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 17:33:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems like many people have them--witness the large number of carpet beetle pictures posted on this site.

In my experience, carpet beetles are in almost every house, mine included.

Can a carpet beetle infestation be large without our ever noticing it?

Yes, if they attack insects collections, herbals, furs or taxidermy items, they can make a big damage before you notice their presence. In homes they generally feed on felt under furniture's legs or on skin particles and hairs they found in home dust (tipically behind baseboards or in floor crevices).
    It depends from species too. Some species can't have an indoor cycle, because adults need to feed on flowers, while in other species adults feed like larvae and so they must be considered as "resident" pests.

9. kingfisher111

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 17:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still not clear on whether or not the bites I have received could be a result of irritation from carpet beetles....they couldn't cause the 3 in a row type bites could they??

10. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 18:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

This is only a theory, and I am sure it could be summarily trashed by any of our experts. Years ago, I remember hearing that people who have serious acne tend to squeeze peoples. And when they do this, another pimple eventually shows up right next to it.

Now I realize people don't squeeze bedbugbites. But I have wondered if the 2 or 3 bites in a row is really the same bite, erupting in more than one place. This may sound silly, but since no one else has a very convincing explanation as to how this happen, I consider my unscientific theory to be as good as any. I just find it hard to believe that stupid bed bugs would behave in such a "linear" manner. The fact that so-called bite reactions show up later, or the same bites erupt again all on their own, supports my idea. Maybe it doesn't always take a stinger.

As to whether larvae hair skin irritations could appear 3 in a row, I have no idea. On my theory, it could be a "spread out" from the first irritation.

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 19:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I am just one person who had a bed bug infestation, so my experiences are not based on thousands of cases the way that some of the PCOs who post here are.

However, I did have bed bugs for at least a month before I figured it out. I had a good sized infestation by the time it was treated (this was almost three years ago now, so general knowledge of bed bugs wasn't as commonplace).

I never had the distinctive three bites in a row pattern so many say is typical of bed bugs.

Based on that fact, I would guess that bed bug bites can appear in three in a row patterns or not, and carpet beetle reactions likely could appear in three in a row patterns or not.

(Technically, carpet beetles and carpet beetle larvae don't bite. But those hair like things that the larvae shed cause "bite like responses" (i.e., an itchy, raised, probably reddish welt that will itch and look exactly like an insect bite to any of us. Keep in mind that even the best trained dermatologists cannot tell what exact species of bug or arachnid bit you in most cases. There are skin tests to test for scabies. With body lice, they can observe the lice. But as for bed bugs, a good dermatologist with experience can tell you if a bug from the group of bugs that bed bugs are in caused the bites, but even the best derm cannot be more conclusive than that.)

12. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 6 2011 7:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The famous "breakfast, lunch & dinner" rows of bites are not diagnostic of bed bugs. It is perfectly possible to have BBs without ever getting these rows of bites, or to have a row or triangle or other alarming group of lesions without having BBs. From what I have read & experienced, it seems that such rows are most likely to occur when bugs are either disturbed during feeding - for example if you move in your sleep, or if they are feeding without actually getting onto your body - that is whilst standing on your bed, pillows, nightwear, etc, which is likely to offer less secure purchase for them.

It is quite possible for you to get hit by a bunch of carpet beetle hairs around the same spot. Their larval hairs are very fine & can be attracted to you by static. If you use the tags at the top of this page, & use the "search the forums" facility, you can find out more about carpet beetles & the mechanism by which they cause irritation in susceptible individuals.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.