Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Do bedbugs have to have sex to have baby?

(22 posts)
  1. Jamesblonde

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 0:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I am serious about this question, say if one day you carry one bedbug home by accident, since it's only one bed bug, then it shouldn't have babies so once it dies, it's gone right?

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 0:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be a pregnant female. It could be a male. It could be a nymph. It could be not pregnant.

It's bed bug russian roulette. No way to know really. Luck of the draw.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 0:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Research suggests females are more likely to seek new harborages. [Update: per David's post below, other research, more recently, suggests they aren't.]

After a female is inseminated, she can lay eggs for a while. So it is possible you have a female who is laying eggs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bedbugman

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 0:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Many choose to adopt.....

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 1:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugman - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Many choose to adopt.....

By any chance do they adopt spider beetles or booklice?

6. Jamesblonde

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 1:30:11
    #

Login to Send PM

haha, I am glad people are having some fun with this topic, after all it's just bedbug, I understand a lot of people are going through a lot of stress over it, I think one of the reason is because bedbugs disappeared for so many years and come back, lots people in our generation don't know much about it and it's easy to panic when you don't know. I hope everyone can try to see on the positive side and maybe it's not so bad after all. Maybe it will be just like 18 century and bedbugs' like every household's pet and people will take about bedbugs like they talk about their daughter's english class. Maybe only until then. Maybe things will just get a lot worse before it gets better. So at the mean time maybe we should learn to live with it and enjoy our life while we can.

7. Louise

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 11:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 
    Research suggests females are more likely to seek new harborages.
    After a female is inseminated, she can lay eggs for a while. So it is possible you have a female who is laying eggs.

Do we know how long she can lay eggs - or how many she can lay - before having to be inseminated again to lay more?

8. laststrawsue

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 11:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked this up and about all I found was this:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/98/10/5683.full

From reading that, it seemed to suggest that one copulation could result in at least 4 weeks of full egg laying. And that female bed bugs are aggressively inseminated a lot more regularly than the once they were in the experiment, under normal infestation conditions.
    That's just what I'm taking from the information on that experiment.

9. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 12:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

laststrawsue - 46 minutes ago  » 
    I looked this up and about all I found was this:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/98/10/5683.full
    From reading that, it seemed to suggest that one copulation could result in at least 4 weeks of full egg laying. ...

Remember, they also have to be *feeding* to lay eggs. If they don't have blood meals available, pretty soon the egg-laying cannot continue.

10. laststrawsue

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 13:49:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, I was just looking for the answer to the question, how often do they need to have sex to keep laying eggs. In the above mentioned experiment I link to, both groups (multiple inseminated group and the 1-time copulation group) are all fed at regular intervals.
    Thus far, I can't find information on how long they can keep laying eggs without being inseminated again & without being fed. Though I think they were feeding them at 6 day intervals in the above mentioned experiment I linked to.
    I'm just an amateur trying to glean some ideas from the information. But to me this suggests that a female that's been inseminated just once, and hasn't been fed in 5 days, can continue throughout those 5 days laying eggs in a fully normal quantity (whatever that is).

If anyone knows something different, or is coming up with a different conclusion, feel free to correct me. As I said, I'm just trying to figure out the information I'm reading.
    And of course I'm just looking at one article about one experiment, about what's possible... in a lab experiment. Which may or may not relate to various conditions in natural infestation settings.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 15:26:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 14 hours ago  » 

Sorry to correct but more accurate research less biased by peoples application of human emotions onto insect behavior has proven that even in advanced infestations there is no statistically different gender bias away from the center of an infestation. This is information that Richard presented in Chicago 2011 based on an analysis at our heaviest ever case.

As bedbugs breed via traumatic insemination females have the ability to lay fertile eggs for significant periods after a mating event. The fact that most humans equate traumatic insemination to rape is why I believe this miss information spread so rapidly. However the traumatic refers to physical damage rather than emotional and psychological damage or logic would dictate that bedbugs would not breed as readily as females would avoid males.

Hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 18:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

David--

You've just implied my bedbugs got to have more sex in my bed than me. And they made me miserable.

WAH! Worst roommates ever.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 25 2011 23:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 8 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 14 hours ago  » 

Sorry to correct but more accurate research less biased by peoples application of human emotions onto insect behavior has proven that even in advanced infestations there is no statistically different gender bias away from the center of an infestation. This is information that Richard presented in Chicago 2011 based on an analysis at our heaviest ever case.

Thanks, David.

14. itchysadpanda

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 13:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 18 hours ago  » 
    David--
    You've just implied my bedbugs got to have more sex in my bed than me. And they made me miserable.

HAHAHA! that made my day, Ashamed

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 13:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 18 hours ago  » 

Now this made me think. The last time I had bedbugs in my bed at home they were brought in by my soon to be ex girlfriend so I was possibly in the same boat. I have made a point of making up for it since then and I would have to have a mahoosive infestation for that to still be true.

Glad people are picking up on the dark humour that often helps in bedbug situations.

David

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 15:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Have to agree with David regarding people equating traumatic insemination to psychological trauma in bed bugs. It has to do with trauma to the abdominal tissues, but these have evolved to work this way. And females do mate more than once (they have to in order to maintain an adequate sperm supply to fertilize their eggs) and don't run away and hide after their first encounter.
    Misinformation will always be passed on. Hopefully the correct information will always follow and be heard, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  17. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 26 2011 22:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

itchysadpanda - 8 hours ago  » 
    HAHAHA! that made my day, Ashamed

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. With a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

18. Louise

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 11:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 13 hours ago  » 
    Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. With a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

Kind of voyeuristic, don't you think?

19. AshamedandScratching

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 11:41:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Louise - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Kind of voyeuristic, don't you think?

Gotta get your cheap thrills somewhere. Most of the thrills they've given me have been expensive.

20. bedbugsuptown

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2011 22:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

IF anyone has the brilliant idea of being a bed bug for halloween--be a bad-boy-bed-bug.

21. whbclaire

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2011 19:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read a bit in the scientific literature on PubMed about "traumatic insemination" in which male bed bugs basically pierce the abdomens of their females with thier "sword-like penises" (not my words, which is why I put quote marks. This makes me question: don't female bed bugs have vaginas or the equivalent's thereof by which their males could fertilize them in non-traumatic ways? Are there any entomologists out there or others with equivalent knowledge who could let this curious medical writer know? Thanks.

22. bedbugsuptown

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2011 22:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just nasty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.