Do bedbugs come out during the day?

(3 posts)
  1. Sunset

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 1:42:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I have an infestation of something. I get bitten in my bed, on my sofa, and even at my computer. I've had 2 pest control companies out to inspect. They have found nothing. I've put tape around my bed, and caught nothing. Or things too tiny to identify. I sent my findings to the local college extension office. They said it was fibers. No insects. They said I might consider carpet beetles. But I haven't seen any of those.

I don't think it's me. When I stayed away from my house for a couple of days, I didn't have any biting problems. It's in my house. Thing is I can get bitten during the day, but it does get worse at sundown.

I had another pest control person come out and though he couldn't definitely say what I had, he went ahead and sprayed anyway. He said, maybe it's fleas. Maybe bedbugs. He sprayed for both. I had relief in my bedroom for about a week, but was still getting bit at my computer. I didn't think he did a very good job, so I didn't call him back. (He didn't tell me to do a lot of the things I've read you have to do for bed bug treatment.) The other pest control companies won't spray without a target.

I ordered something from a bed bug supply website company that is a bed bug trap. Works with heat to catch them. I hope it works and I catch something so I can get this thing taken care of. I am going out of my mind.

2. Beth

account closed

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 10:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry to hear. yes, they can come out during the day. doesn't sound like carpet beetles if you were bite free for a week after extermination. It could have killed the beetles, but not the fibers. Fleas or bedbugs, likely, other pests include body lice, mites, still more. Trap is a good place to start. Also, google flea trap, there's an easy one with pans of water I forget how to do it, but google it. Do you have any animals or did the previous tenant?

So sorry this is happening to you.

Amy

3. Sunset

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 11:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply, Beth. I do have a pet, a cat. And we live in an area where there are prairie dogs, rabbits, coyotes and other wildlife. I worried it might be the human flea which likes wildlife and can hitch a ride on pets. A vet clinic I contacted said cat fleas would be highly uncommon, but maybe a human flea which doesn't like the taste of cats, so would only bite the cat in desperation.

I also considered bird mites. We did have pigeons trying to roost on our roof but got rid of them. Before we moved into this house (which was new) we lived in an apartment. We had gotten a used sofa off of Craigs List. I remember sitting on that sofa and feeling things biting me but not being able to see them. (They felt just the way the biters in the sofa feel now.) We got rid of that used sofa. We moved into another apartment and I recall one night getting bitten hard by something in the living room which left a welt and itched pretty bad. I never got bit in our bed. So, I forgot about the incident. Fast forward, we moved into our new home. About a year and a half later, we have this problem.

I did try the pan of water with dish soap and the night light. It didn't catch anything but dust. I hope this bedbug trap works that it catches something I can identify. To get rid of this pest would be the best Christmas present ever.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

183,986 posts in 28,273 topics over 87 months by 12,188 of 19,341 members. Latest: Vantz, bugAnxiety, redbird
Site Meter