Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Do bed bugs leave blood stains/ spots on clothing?

(6 posts)
  1. Lin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 18 2011 19:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

For the past few days, I’ve been waking up with 3 to 5 very small spots of what looks like blood on the back of my pyjama pants (in the area of the buttocks and back of thighs). On a couple of days, there was an extra large spot (the size of a nickel) of blood.
    These spots were not there when I went to bed.
    And there are no raised welts or bug bites on my skin, in the area of the blood spots or anywhere else.
    I’ve stripped my bed down and have not found any signs of bed bugs or any other kind of insects on the mattress or linens.
    From what I’ve read, usually the blood spots are found on the linen or mattress.
    Could blood spots from bed bugs appear on clothing as well?
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Any suggestions as to what I can do to find the source/ cause of the blood spots?
    Thanks in advance!

2. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 12:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I have and its bloody annoying cos I havent found a bug responsible for the blood spots.

I know it may seem like a stupid question but are you sure its blood?

If the answer is yes then it seems that the best thing to do might be this.

1st get a few large refuse sacks (new ,of course) and carefully strip your bed so the sheets and pillow cases get placed in the bags.
    Do it all on your bed, not on your floor as you want to not spread anything should there be any thing to spread from your bed.
    Get a large bucket, place each item in it and pour boiling water in it to kill for sure what ever it might be. Leave to die in agony (hopefully) for a few minutes then repeat with each item.
    You should include your pyjamas or nightshirts (whatever) too.
    Completely immerse each item in the boiling water.

I'm afraid you need to bin the sacks as 'it' might have fallen off into any one of the sacks.
    If you gonna do this you got to be systematic.
    If you are not sure and the item is real cheap only use it once.

I also must ask you to check your bed frame, as you said you cant find 'it' on your mattress.
    Especially check your headboard and footboard ( if its called that).
    You might need to partially dismantle it as they live in cracks and joints, or at least the ones I found did.

You got to really search for them because the bites will continue and their numbers might increase.
    Not everyone gets a reaction on their skin to show that you have been bitten.
    But blood spots might well mean they are the cause of them.

You really do need to find 'it' as until you do you will only be guessing and wondering why the blood spots are happening.

The other thing you might need to do is have a good bath or shower.
    Work up a good lather and rub down every part of your body systematically.
    I used to just have a normal bath and it wasnt until I got really pissed of with the whole issue that I decided to get serious in finding this critter and started to work my hand all over, systematically, and' incredibly while smoothing the lather over my right thigh/buttock I felt something small and hard, like a pip, (please dont laugh, I am trying to help here) and in the lather filled hand I found a small bug.
    I had been bitten on my right thigh real bad for a few days before -so badly- that I even took a photo of it and thought of seeing my GP.
    Since then no bites round there anymore.

But I still got blood spots and have yet to find the exact bug causing them.

Please understand I am not an expert, only a sufferer, but this helped and I am boiling any clothes or sheets every morning to eventualy kill 'it'.

I am sorry about all the bathing details, I am not a weirdo, except I cant explain the technique any other way.

You see if the bugs are not on your bed or close by, they might be on you.
    Get a nit comb and also, and I cant stress this enough, you got to boil/treat with heat (thanks Greg K ) the coat(s )you most often wear as it is highly likely that is on what your little friend entered your life on.
    If you dont do that it might be popping little relatives on you every time you wear it to go outside.

This is all guessing but you asked for advice and I am trying my best to help.
    I hope it does.

also read the FAQs as they are excellent.
    Work the problem, dont make it worse.

Good luck.

3. Lin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 13:11:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! Thanks for the detailed advice, Soretit!
    I'm going to throw all the clothes and bed linen in a hot wash and then hot dryer, and throw my pillows into the dryer first. If that doesn't work, I'll try your method of boiling everything. I don't have a basin or bucket large enough for everything so may have to use my bathtub instead.
    My bed has a metal frame, and didn't find anything when I checked the last time. But I'm going to look again, while cleaning the mattress (vacuum and steam).
    I also just ordered some DE, as an extra measure.
    Did you ever identify the bug that you found while bathing?
    Maybe because I'm aware of them, I actually felt the bug/s biting me when I went to bed last night. But each time I checked, I didn't find the culprit. Sharp little bites, like no-see-ums
    Thanks once more,

4. soretit

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 13:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for replying!

I really am no expert, as I said.
    But same situation completely.

Also I found the bath too big and you might crack it if you pour boiling water in it.
    Go to Walmart or Tesco (UK) and buy two or three cheap plastic buckets.
    They cost about 5$ each and make sure they got handles.
    Metal buckets are too expensive and the heat travels through metal too quick so you can still damage what they are standing on/in.

Boiling water is seriously nasty so take care and bring the buckets to the kettle, not the other way round.
    And yes , it was a bed bug, with soap in its eyes!
    Result!

Hope you find your critter!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 13:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Blood spots can at best be considered secondary signs of bedbugs and then there are three different types of blood spots that can be present, only 1 is conclusive of bedbugs. It is much better to search the area looking for:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

To get a better understanding on blood spots I have a visual primer available here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/DB2/bloodspotsPP.pdf

If they are red in colour and on clothes its highly unlikely to be bedbug related.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  6. Lin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 23:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David.
    I came across your useful powerpoint in one of the earlier posts.
    I've been looking but have not found any physical evidence of bedbugs thus far.
    And yes, the blood spots are red (fresh) and on clothing.
    I will remain vigilant and hope I identify the insect/s that is biting me at night.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,084 posts in 31,013 topics over 94 months by 13,442 of 20,848 members. Latest: midnightfeast, senses123, So Mad