Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Do bed bugs hibernate? Bites from out of the blue...

(7 posts)
  1. tomo34

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 3 2011 18:23:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there: I have a suspected 'early case' of bed bugs. The last 4 nights, I have woken up with strange bites which are very itchy, three on my leg, one on my hand and 3 on my face. I stayed in a hotel last summer which I suspected had bed bugs and my husband and I would wake up with the odd bite for a couple months.

But then in October we stopped getting bites and haven't had any until the end of March. I did stay at a hotel 2 weeks ago but I had no bites or itching then. Why would I have bites now out of the blue? Do they tend to hibernate or only feed in the warmer months?

I tried checking the mattress and bed frame and found nothing. I also sleep on a sofa recliner sometimes which is where I've been getting bitten and found one small red thing that looked like shed skin - but it was flat and really tiny so I can't really be sure.

What is the best way of knowing if the bites are bed bugs or not? We're students and can't afford a fumigator Also, if I move to another room, will they follow me? Would they be in my clothes as well?

Any help would be much appreciated as already I am having difficulties sleeping and can't imagine what others must go through when they know they have an infestation!!

2. ohno4321

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 3 2011 21:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs will feed year round given the opportunity. There is no seasonal hibernation.

You'll never know just from the bites if its a bedbug. I don't believe a dermatologist could even definitely determine if its an insect bite from the 'bites' alone. It could be another skin condition unrelated to bedbugs or insects.

If you move to another room the bedbugs (if they exist) may follow you.

You need to get a definitive determination. A professional would be best for this. If you can catch a bug and post a high quality photo you may be able to get a determination which I would think is adequate for further action.

Yes they can be in your clothes.

Don't panic, you may not even have bedbugs. Search this site for information on inspection and identification. Perhaps you can get a free or low cost inspection. If you don't have a definitive determination I would not take drastic actions. You may want t take a look at inexpensive monitoring systems. Be vigilent, educate yourself and attempt to make a positive identification.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 0:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing that might have happened is if you packed some things away which had bed bugs in them, and then took them out recently. One reader described a scenario like this -- a comforter packed away for the season in a plastic sealed cover in a closet. When it came out in the next season, bites began.

Can you think of anything like this in your situation?

Of course, it's also possible to get bed bugs from neighbors, laundromat, cafe, etc.

You might want to use some monitors to try and verify if you have bed bugs (see this FAQ on detection). Lots of other problems can cause similar reactions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. tomo34

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2011 17:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your replies on this! I am hoping that what we have is due to some other insect or cause since we're students in rented accommodation and can't afford to get an exterminator or a detector at the moment.

I didn't realize bugs could live so long but we haven't unpacked anything recently. The bites are quite itchy and I have about 3 in a row on my leg and on my face which is why I was suspicious. I'm just not sure what could be biting me that many times but, I guess the best thing to do at the moment is wait and see if I continue to get more bites and to keep doing searches.

Thanks again...

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 0:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

tomo34 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I didn't realize bugs could live so long but we haven't unpacked anything recently. .

I should say I suspect the case I mention (1) is unusual, (2) can't be proven, only suspected. But it's within the realm of possibility.

Bed bugs can live a while without feeding. We're not sure how long but a year seems possible. That said, it depends on the stage of life, and other factors. Not sure how they can live in a sealed bag, but much, much longer than us, if you know what I mean.

The bites are quite itchy and I have about 3 in a row on my leg and on my face which is why I was suspicious. I'm just not sure what could be biting me that many times but, I guess the best thing to do at the moment is wait and see if I continue to get more bites and to keep doing searches.
    Thanks again...

Is your accommodation provided by the university? If so, it is likely their job to have the place inspected and treated if need be. In some locations, landlords in private rentals pay for treatment. If you PM me and tell me where you are, I might be able to tell you.

Do you have pets?

6. ohno4321

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 0:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, review the material on inspection and identification and look at some of the low cost monitoring options.

The three bites in a row seems mythical to me. I just can't imagine the bug bites, makes a second bite and then makes a third bite that somehow in relation to the first.

7. tomo34

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 18:34:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again: to answer nobugsonme's question, we do live in rented accommodation but it is not provided by the university. We rent privately in the UK and I doubt they would do anything especially if entially we've potbrought them in? We actually have a mold problem at present that we're trying to get them to sort out so this would be a bit much to add into the pot! And no, we don't have any pets.

As for the bites, yes, the 3 in a row is strange. As much as it creeps me out to sleep in the bed again not knowing IF I will get bitten and IF it will be a bed bug, I guess this is the best solution at the moment. I'll look into some of the cheaper monitoring things and keep checking the furniture.

Thanks again for you guidance

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.