Do Bed Bugs Hibernate?

(3 posts)
  1. etm42

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2012 19:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Since last summer, I've been battling a sudden and huge infestation of bed bugs - so severe that both my legs were a mass of red from the hundreds of bites I was getting. I was finding a dozen or more live BBs a day, every day. It was this bad until about mid-autumn, when the weather began to cool (I live in Chicago). Once the temperature started going down, the number of BBs I found and the number of bites I received began to drop off sharply, until now I can go for a few days without seeing a single BB. I still worry, though: Are the BBs just in hibernation? Will they start to multiply in my apartment again when the weather gets warmer? Is there anything I can do right now, when their numbers seem to be at a low ebb, to kill off the remaining ones? Any advice would be most welcome.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2012 20:29:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We need to understand the bigger picture here.

Is this a single family home or multi unit building? If building, has the surrounding apartments been inspected and or successfully treated? Most times you don't win unless all the cases win what have issues. If it's a building issue it needs to be addressed as one otherwise you just fight them off .... control vs. eradication.

Were the bugs ever completely eradicated?

They don't "hibernate" per-say but can go into a dormancy like stage in certain cases. You're not going to have much relief from the weather given that our homes are heated and most of them will do well indoors even though everything bed bug related is temperature dependent.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 9 2012 20:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

In this instance tags don't find very much, and miss some threads where the topic indeed gets discussed, so instead type « hibernate » in Google Advanced Search and limit the domain of the search to bedbugger.com which will bring up a bearnanza:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hibernate+site%3Abedbugger.com&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,119 posts in 31,021 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,850 members. Latest: So Mad, joshc, Rossmanmin