Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

do bed bugs burrow?

(9 posts)
  1. bbbitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 12:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I have been reading the postings on this website and I'm not sure what the answer is to this question. I've seen postings say that they do and some postings say that they don't. So what I am trying to find out is do bed bugs actually dig holes into mattresses or do they mainly hang out along the seams? I suspect I have bed bugs, although I have not seen any of the signs, but I have bites all over my back, legs, arms, even two on my forehead. So, my question is do they burrow and if so I should see holes in my mattress, correct? I've seen pictures of infested mattresses, but the articles never said how they got inside. Were there already holes in the mattress? I am trying not to wrap my mattress if I don't have to because I've heard that since the material used to wrap mattresses do not breathe (like cotton), it would be very hot sleeping on a wrapped mattress. I don't have a problem wrapping the box spring. Please let me know the answer to this question.
    thanks

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 12:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed Bugs do not have the ability to cut through anything, their mouth parts or spiked in and drain out in the same way as mosquitoes. As such they do not have the ability to bite through anything.

They will usually hang out on the seams and tufts of mattresses or the nooks and crannies of bed frames and sleeping area.

From the description you have given I would firstly suspect dust mites rather than Bed Bugs although it could also be an allergic reaction to something in the bed or the sheets.

I would suggest that you use a mattress protector for a few days to see if the level of activity reduces. If it does reduce activity investigate professional mattress cleaning using steam vacuums as a long term solution, that way you only need to have the mattress cover on for a short while.

There are some mattress protectors out there may of very modern materials which will allow the mattress to breath while retaining the mites, unfortunately I can’t recall a brand as I don't use mattress protectors in my methods.

Hope it gets you sorted, please check back and keep us updated.

David

3. bbbitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 12:50:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess it could be some kind of mite or allergic reaction. I took the bed apart and laundered everying and inspected (and vacuumed) the mattress, box spring and pillows, inspected and cleaned the bed frame and put sticky tape around the bed posts legs. I did not find any signs of bed bugs. I thought it was bed bugs because I had just returned from a vacation on the west coast. The next morning I woke up with bites all over my back, the next two days I received more bites, probably 30 in all. I have bites on my back, arms, legs and 2 on my forehead. I assumed it was bed bugs because I either brought them back with me or they were there and hungry after not having a meal for 10 days.
    But getting back to my question. If bed bugs can not eat thru anything, as long as the mattress does not have holes in it I should be ok. I know there could be some residual eggs that I possibly missed, but if I keep vacuuming all sides of the mattress I should be ok.
    What do you think?

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 13:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It could be that you were bitten on vacation and that the bites did not appear until you had a change in environment and came home.

Yes you are correct in the assumption that bed bugs can only get into a mattress if there are holes or a way in.

To make sure it is not Bed Bugs I would suggets that you keep an activity log so that you have accurate data to look for a pattern or trend in the bites.

I would then suggest you repeat the clean at a 14 day or once a month interval. I am a great advocate of the fact that those without Bed Bugs can help remain free by inspecting and cleaningt he sleeping area, ideally on a monthly basis.

David

5. bbbitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2008 8:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I've got about 3 more bites last night. It appears that I got a whole bunch of bites when I got back from vacation, since then it's been a few at a time. But I'm still not sure if these are bed bug bites or maybe hives (or something else entirely). So far I have yet seen any signs of bed bugs. I've inspected and vacuumed the mattress, box spring and bed frame and saw nothing. No bed bugs, or brown spots. I've laundered all the bedding. I've inspected and vacuumed 2 of the 4 dressers in my room (will do the other two tonight). I've put sticky tape on the legs of my bed. No signs of bugs. Do you think maybe I might have hives, maybe from something I ate? At this point, I really don't know what these big red bites are.

6. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 16:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome, I wanted to let you know that we had bedbugs that burrowed out of the textured ceiling. Even after the PCO and maintenance drilled quarter inch holes, placed powder and caulked them in, the day we were moving the bugs had burrowed through the caulking and were out for blood. So to speak. The bugs left little holes in the ceiling and the caulking. There was absolute evidence that they could burrow out. But I also had the bedbug that jumped and it was not a hallucination. Nerve agent most likely but who knows. Our apartment was VERY infested so anything was possible. I just think that we should not discredit any thing when it comes to bedbugs. If you look at my flickr pix you can actually see some of the bugs under and in the texture on the ceiling. There should be a link on the blog somewhere. BBBitten, I went for a good month before I even ever saw any bug and had no idea what was eating us alive. They are very stealthy and will hide anywhere they can crawl. Trim, bed frame, curtain rods, pix frames, pillows, ect...and the list goes on. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. I didn't see any when we rented the apartment or I would not have moved in.

7. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 17:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Every entomologist I've ever seen this question posed to has stated that bed bugs can NOT burrow--there has to already be a hole there for them to get in and out of. Angie, are you absolutely certain that the holes in the textured ceiling and the caulk weren't caused by moisture degrading the material, or by the house settling? Please understand I'm not trying to invalidate your experience. I just respectfully wish to discuss.

8. angie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 18:46:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand. I know that the bugs were in the ceiling texture when we moved in. They painted over the bugs in an attempt to kill them. I seen the air holes and then the bugs crawling on the ceiling and walls. It was gross but I have no other explanation as none of the neighbors were complaining about bugs and when I said something to them, they were shocked. I think that anything is possible. They do crawl into small spaces and work through the walls and such, so who knows.

9. bbbitten

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2008 12:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

could it be possible that the caulk shrunk and they were able to squeeze thru it?

Now I'm not sure if I have bed bugs or hives. Shouldn't bed bugs leave a center dot of blood much like a mosquito? I've been taking antihistimines and my bites/hives are starting to clear up. I haven't seen any evidence of bed bugs (and I've searched), so I don't know what it is at this point.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,128 posts in 31,021 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,850 members. Latest: So Mad, joshc, Rossmanmin