Do Bed Bug bites cause water blisters?

(6 posts)
  1. chuchurocket

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 26 2012 17:03:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I got a completely random water blister somewhere on my upper arm a few weeks ago (still have a scar from it), and I had absolutely no idea how it was caused. I've been paranoid about bedbugs for the past 3 months or so (keep getting bites but I found nothing), so I thought it might've been a weird reaction to that, but the blister soon went away and I didn't get another one.

Then, I woke up this morning with one on my shoulder, just inches from the last one. It's about the same size too... maybe around the size of a large, long pill.

They look like this.

2. rubyone80

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 26 2012 17:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I have read, yes, they can cause a blister. One of my bites was a big welp with a small blister in the center. I have been bitten numerous times and only one of mine did that.
    I am no expert, just speaking from experience and research.
    Best wishes.

3. goberbug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 14:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had a really similar experience - only bedbug bites on my feet or legs cause blisters, while elsewhere on my body they do not. I have had two blisters now.

4. buggybrained

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 14:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I do believe that is possible. My bites wheal and flare with plasma that leaks from the center that later crusts over. I get massive angry red bullseyes around them that burn like fire. One was so bad I called my advice nurse and she was worried I might have cystitis. Of course when I got into see the doctor and asked if it could be a bed bug bite she said absolutely not and it was probably a spider. Nice job when I got one exactly the same a week later, the very day I found a live bug on my mattress!

You should read the bite FAQ. It talks about bullous reactions that some people have from bed bug bites which you may be experiencing. Be very careful with your bites, try so hard not to scratch and try not to let them dry out too much. You don't want to be at risk with a staph infection or even MRSA. I wash mine gently and use neosporin while they heal. Once they are no longer open and weeping, I switch to petroleum jelly or A&D ointment if it's really ugly. If they itch really bad you can gently try slapping them but if you have blisters like that the last thing you want to do burst them. No matter what is causing those, take care of them and please call a doctor or go to the ER immediately if you feel any swelling around your mouth or throat. While rare, anaphylaxis can occur in extremely hypersensitive people and there is no way to tell when one will reach that level. If you ever do have that sort of reaction might be a good idea to talk to your GP about keeping an epi pen on hand for the future.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed that I posted a reply on a thread six months old! Hopefully someone else who have these kind of reactions might see it and read the FAQ on bites. I know first hand dealing with bad bite reactions is really difficult!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 14:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around.

Yes some people do have a more aggressive response to bedbug bites which can manifest itself as a bullous eruption as can be seen in the images in the bite primer linked below:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

Other insect bites can also do this so please don't assume if you are only going on skin reactions that it is confirmed as bedbugs, that can only be done through finding live samples, cast skins and faecal traces.

However with this level of reaction you need to seek medical assistance sooner rather than later.

Regards,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 16:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

One was so bad I called my advice nurse and she was worried I might have cystitis. Of course when I got into see the doctor and asked if it could be a bed bug bite she said absolutely not and it was probably a spider.

Buggybrained
    I think the nurse probably said cellulitis? Unfortunately, the doctor said probably a spider bite when this is actually not common at all. Usually spider bite is a catch phrase when they really don't know what it is.
    I've had different bite reactions to bed bugs since I raise them for over 15 years. I've had just red bumps to welts and no itching. I've fed them longer (here they are in a jar and hundreds are feeding in a 1 inch circle) and moved the jar a few times over a 20 minute period. Blistering or bullous eruption occurred. Other times I've left the jar and not moved it and typically no blistering. Look at some of the images http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.