Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Do BBs crush to dust?

(7 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 0:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been searching the forums to find an answer to this, but am more confused than ever before. I was doing a thorough vacuuming of my room this morning, which had (has?) a confirmed BB infestation. We discovered the BBs in December, and had 3 treatments. We were clear until mid-March when we found one live BB (half-dead) in an interceptor under the center foot of my bed, and one dead BB in another interceptor. So our PCO treated again. It's been 5 weeks and I haven't seen any other signs. Though I have some suspicious "parts" in bags for when our PCO comes back.

Back to today. I was cleaning and it was quite dusty under my bed as we were away last week and I hadn't kept up with vacuuming. I managed to pick up a couple of hard dark specks and they basically crushed to dust in my fingertips. Disintegrated. I've seen this happen with carpet beetles, which we definitely have. In fact, the carpet beetles have gotten worse since the BB situation. But now I wonder could these be BBs at any stage? I only ask, because I thought a little red came out of one, but the red basically brushed away, and our comforter is red so maybe it was lint?

I'm worried because of course today I had an itch on my wrist, and when I scratched I found suspicious little red bump on my wrist, which is now gone. Hard to explain that away as acne. It is almost time for my PCO to come back to inspect, but I'm really curious about these things that crush into dust. Could they have been BBs? If so, I am so depressed. It means the problem is getting worse instead of better. I can't take this anymore.

Hoping that an expert or experienced bedbugger can let me know if this dusty stuff is worth worrying about. Appreciate any advice.

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 2:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Whatever it was it was long dead if it crumbled to dust. Sounds like you are bedbug free or if not completely well on the way. A little itch on the wrist and then gone? That would either be nothing or remotely your body just reacting to previous bed bug bites. Good luck. It is so nice when they are gone

3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 6:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Frightened. I've generally been itching like crazy this week. Most bumps I've found lately have been on my chest, neck and face and I've been attributing them to acne. The wrist one was weird though, and I had one on my chin last night that has since gone almost completely away.

I am starting to think I break out in these bumps as an allergic reaction to the dust. I was cleaning out my attic a few weeks ago and I swear I broke out in bumps from that. I have pretty awful allergies, and usually get itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, etc. and have to shower whenever I clean. I've never noticed bumps before from cleaning, but maybe it's just because I haven't been looking. I also wonder if I could be reacting to carpet beetles. We definitely have those.

Sorry for going on and on. This does help put my mind at ease. Thank you.

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 8:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Apparently it is the hairs on the carpet beetle larvae that cause irritation to some humans. You need to check areas where they can live undetected such as behind furniture, backs of curtains that are not often drawn, behind tv etc. The adults fly in through open windows to find suitable breeding places.
    Glad you are feeling more relaxed.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 14:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug casts skins and dead bed bugs are surprisingly sturdy and generally keep their form only to pop up months down the road and scare the crap out of you.

What whispers the whisker?
  6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 18:02:32
    #

Login to Send PM

And especially the headless ones.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 21 2017 21:45:13
    #

Login to Send PM

With head, without. Live, dead, ghosts. They all scare the crap out of me. I used to think I was tough. But I've been rendered completely mad by these demonic little creatures. Slowly, slowly, however, I feel like I'm regaining my sanity and perspective.

Thanks for the advice and the humor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,645 posts in 41,784 topics over 127 months by 18,324 of 18,792 members. Latest: Scballer2187, Divachickt, 2yearsandcounting