Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do any of your bites sound like this?

(13 posts)
  1. kann

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 22:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I know that bed bug bites can vary between each individual, but I was just wondering if somebody has had tiny red dots under the skin as a reaction to bed bug bites? I know it's not cherry angioma because it looks like how my skin would react after having bloodwork done. It doesn't itch or anything, but it does take a while to go away and would be at the weirdest places like my finger. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid...

Thank you in advance for the response.

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 16 2010 22:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I had spots and bumps for years before this. I have them alongside the bites.

For a week, I obsessed over every blemish, I even found three microscopic spots on my wrist, that never raised and never itched. Everytime I felt a pinprick at work, I would examine the area for evidence.

But that just makes you go crazy. Heres my idea, pin down the actual showing bites in a journal. Look for signs of bedbugs on your bed. Increase laundering and vacuuming. Stay vigilant.

good luck

3. kann

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 17 2010 23:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bushbugg.

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 0:52:31
    #

Login to Send PM

kann - 3 days ago  » 
    I was just wondering if somebody has had tiny red dots under the skin as a reaction to bed bug bites?

Tonight, I found some of what youre talking about here. a pair of red dots and a trio of red dots in the space of 1 cm in a line formation. They dont seem to itch, but as I found them in the bath, after exposure to water, they appear to be a more general rash. Is this what yours sound like? I also get the regular inflamed pimple bites, and have been for over a month. This is only the first time Ive seen such a tight grouping of non-itching red dots.

Theres no knowing if these are bedbug bites or some other bug flushed out by poison, maybe. Or a reaction to something else. Just adding to your topic. I would speculate that the smaller the nymph, the less of the anticoagulant or other irritant they produce. But Im no scientist, so this is just speculation.

5. eaten_alive

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 1:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

This either could or may not be a bite-- I've only had 1 bite on my hand before. Finger, to be precise (right next to the nail, partially on cuticle). Looked like a little red dot, itched... then ballooned.

Otherwise, it could be a skin irritation. I get plenty of little random red dots on m y arm near my wrist, but they usually are just ingrown hairs (finer than peach fuzz).

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 9:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I would speculate that the smaller the nymph, the less of the anticoagulant or other irritant they produce. But Im no scientist, so this is just speculation.

The best scientific evidence we have says that this argument, while logical and intuitive, is not held up by the science.

If you search the forum, you can find video of one of the entomologists doing a bite test on an individual. The person has an adult and a nymph placed on his or her arm and is then observed to see if he or she reacts to the bite.

Both the adult and the nymph bite swell up, a short time later, to the same size.

Because the nymphs are hard to see, they create a lot of anxiety for bed bug sufferers, and the notion that even though their bites come from smaller insects said bites are the same size as those from an adult is completely counter-intuitive.

And I know many people will be skeptical about accepting that video as proof, but I can tell you this. After my thermal treatment, it took a looooong time for me to be convinced that the bugs were really, really gone (largely because after all the horror stories and knowing how long I'd had the bugs, and reading about other peoples' experiences with Vikane and/or thermal failing, it was hard to believe that I could actually get rid of the bugs in a single treatment).

For at least a few weeks, I was totally convinced that I was getting bitten by nymphs because I had intensely itchy spots that were smaller than my confirmed bed bug bites. These spots were located behind my knees.

(Remember, my infestation was in the middle of summer. This becomes important in a minute.)

Eventually, I started tracking when these suspected "nymph bites" occurred.

Turns out, they happened a predictable number of days after I'd shaved my legs.

The "bites" were the normal response my skin has to the irritation of the stubble on my legs reaching a certain length. The fact that it was happening behind my knees makes sense. That's the place where the stubble comes into most contact with other stubbly skin, and in the summer, it's extra itchy because that's where I sweat the most on my legs--esp. when sitting in a desk chair which is where I noticed the itching.

I'm sure that part of it was simply that after months of bed bugs, my skin was also extra reactive.

And you all may not shave your legs (I also am very prone to ingrown hairs, so I can't shave as often as I'd like--I know, bordering on oversharing.)

At any rate, my point in all this is that it made complete sense to me that nymph bites would be smaller, and I was so terrified that the bugs weren't gone that I wasn't willing to believe that nymph bites were the same as adult bites because that didn't make any sense to me.

However, despite the fact that this evidence seems illogical, the best scientific evidence--and in my case, my own personal experience--do actually hold up the fact that nymph bites react just like bites from adult bed bugs.

7. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 11:49:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Me too. Little red zit looking things that don't itch, sometimes mine disappear right away, sometimes not. I have 4 of them in different places this morning. I don't think mine are bb bites. Sometimes I wonder if it's some sort of heat rash. If I continue to worry that every little mark on my body is a bb bite, then I'm in for a long miserable life. I'm trying to move on and do away with the paranoia I've developed.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 13:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

As I posted before, under various topics, feeding thousands of bed bugs of all age classes, I've not seen a difference in the initial bite reactions and later reactions between nymphs and adults on myself. After years of feeding them, my reactions have diminished considerably to almost nothing. I've never really had itchiness accompany the bites, even in the beginning, and that's well over 5-10 years ago. This may very well be the norm, but, of course, most people get rid of their bugs and don't live with them for 5-10 years and don't test this out! In some cases, this is the norm and for this very reason the reservoir populations in apartment buildings remain and further infest other tenants. People who don't react, don't complain and learn to live with these insects.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 15:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I don't plan on living with them. After this experience, I'm having the K-9 in every 3-4 months for a while.

10. Sylvie

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 20 2010 16:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Kann, I'm not sure about the tiny red dots you describe... sounds kind of like what happens to me if I scratch an area too much. But I can tell you they'll bite your fingers as I have a great big bite on my pinky right now. The thing actually bit me there while I was awake and had the lights on. Jesus!

11. kann

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 24 2010 22:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the responses. I was exposed to bb in 2008 during a hotel stay in SF, but luckily, I didn't bring any home. Back then, my reaction to bb bites were pretty much the "red, very itchy welts" in two's or three's.

Since May of this year, I have noticed some of the red dots on my middle finger (the finger print side), which would appear usually in singles. Neither were they itchy nor became swollen. It would be gone in about a couple days or so but would be replaced by another one. Hence, the thought that I was being bitten by something. Also, as I have mentioned above, the red dots look like how my skin looks after having bloodwork done... where you could tell the location of the needle prick because of the "red dot" that it leaves. I could just be paranoid, but the fact that sometimes it would reappear on a different area (same finger most of the time) just concerns me. I would also occasionally notice "pimple bites" bushbugg had mentioned, but like buggyinsocal said, it could be from shaving. I don't know anymore. I think I'm just driving myself crazy by checking myself over so much for any bumps or redness, but I just can't help it. I have searched my entire room (many times) for any signs of bedbugs mentioned on this site, but I haven't found any. I also haven't found any actual bugs except for that photo I posted... a booklice I was told by spidey and another member.

Now, loubuggs has mentioned that over time (5-10 years), reactions to bb bites can diminish. My question is if I had the red, itchy welts in 2008 due to bed bug bites, is it possible to have less of a reaction now (needle prick-like bites, pimple bites) even though I haven't been exposed to a bed bug since then? FYI, I don't know for sure if I have bed bugs... just terrified that I do.

Thanks again for the all the responses.

12. bugbuffet

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 9 2010 22:16:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have them too. I know I was being bit because I have blood spots all over my white t shirts and underwear, and on the sheets, but I don't get the blown up welts like most other people get. When looking for possible bites, I found many tiny red dots, slightly raised above the skin. I never had these before, so I am quite sure they are from BB bites. My concern is that they are not going away. I inspect them every day, and they never seem to fade or show any signs of healing. I am hoping that I am not scarred for life. I also read many theories about them being reactions to the pesticides, but I had them before any treatment of chemical was introduced, so I know its not that.

13. bbdead

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 0:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have pimple like, tiny red dots, and i know those are bedbugs bites. They are itchy as much as three or four scrachings would be enough, and gone after either hours, or a day. Some stayed for ever like blood dot under the skin. 95% of these bites are randomly any where on my face. The problem is that I can not trap any of them with my monitors, K-9 dogs sniffs, PCO inspector find nothing. Our single house is now empty except sleeping bags. I don't know if bedbug bites after treatments tend to be smaller or my body adjust to their bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago